It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents, do you know what these texts mean?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

This is probably a topic for a different thread but from what I see of the kids today it's appears as if nothing at all has changed for them since I was their age in the 90's.

Their music is essentially the same, their dress is essentially the same albeit the "hip-hop" side seems to have taken over much territory from the rock side and the immature and blind way they stumble through their tech and gadgets is reminiscent of the way so many blindly stumbled through the tech when it was still emerging as a common consumer good.

It's as if the internet and all this connectivity has homogenized the culture. Stagnant and dead.

The best is the kids still think it's all new to them. Blarring music, sagging pants and "1337". Yup, havent been living with that trash for the past 15 years or anything. All new to me.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
thr ws a xprmnt tht y cld gt wy wtht ny vwls nd n n nstnt y wld ndrstnd vrythng tht ws tpd s s ths tr jst a thght

so what is the difference how something is texted

not ALL kids are doing drugs
not ALL kids are bad
AND even if some kids are doing Drugs it doesn't make them bad.

parents walk a fine line between freedoms of their kids and interferring to much in what they do.

As parents we do our best to raise our kids properly and their friends destroy all our hard work.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

created noslang.com in 2005, and as more readers have submitted terms related to drugs and sex, what started out as a fun little exicon of innocuous shortcuts has become a valuable educational tool for parents to learn about what their children are up to. shortcuts has become a valuable educational

Urban Dictionary anyone? Anyone? Guess not.

Warning that website has naughty words.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986

NO

That's for posers.

Adults can't decipher unfamiliar words from context, I reckon they're implying.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Actually things have changed. For one, with technology, kids are exposed to sex, violence, drugs and general chaos at a younger age, in more quantity or both (i recall faces of death when I was younger).

Its skinny jeans and "metro" as opposed to baggy jeans and macho.

Hip hop and rap are no longer and underground sort of movement. Electronic music is also much popular.

Technology also allow kids to access knowledge faster and stay in constant touch throughout the day.

The marijuana culture has also taken a big up turn.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
[color=414141]Subliminal Manipulation today. can you see it?
how did the alleged kid text more than 160 symbols?

or are those more than one text?

they are meeting at Bojangle's?

Leet, that is just what this planet needs, another language.

End Transmission,
et

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I doubt kids on crack think well enough to compose like this, or at least not while high. Teens are creative and this could be a new up and coming way to communiate. It just appears to be numbers substituted for letters. Once a teen gets the hang of it, its probably pretty easy. Have you ever seen the speed with which a kid can text on the phone, OMG. I just think CNN is making a big thing of it with this particular text to warn parents that its kids on drugs that are doing this. The new text could be used for something as innocent as do you want to come over and watch a movie. Teens just love this sort of stuff.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by crazydaisy]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Are you seirous?

Thats the best they can do is some weak generic 1337 5p34|

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I read every word of it without trouble. Txtspk (textspeak) is harder for me to interpret but I still manage with it.

My trouble with my kids and my nephews is the new rap music slang that they use. One of my nephews hasn't said ten words in the last three or four years that I could understand without an interpreter.

[edit on 8/26/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

Hmmm...

I work with a lot of kids. Middle school aged and high school aged. Only a couple of times have I come across the girl jeans, mascara wearing 'metro' types. Usually it's a kid from out of town. Within a week or two he's back to the baggy pants and flat brimmed hat and acting like a little tough turd.

No electronic music up here either. It's still really crappy club rap and pointlessly angsty pseudo-metal.

Maybe these differences are regional but the teens here are exactly like the teens I grew up with in the 90's.

I should say that in the 90's here there was a very brief period of metro and electronica. It barely lasted half a school year. Again, probably a regional thing.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

No kid types in full sentences on a cell phone.. Even if it's in 1337

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
they are meeting at Bojangle's?

It's also a racist article. Bojangles' is a Chicken 'n' Biscuits place in Charlotte, North Carolina as well as a black entertainer.

The whole crack thing is patently ridiculous and meant to associate with an "undesirable" and minority subculture. It's one huge scoop of NLP on a waffle.

In short, it's meant to scare the bejeesus out of white, suburban soccer moms with good moral values.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
when i was younger, i used to write in code or fake languages alot. i wouldnt be suprised if it came from a typical teen, but what is a typical teen? to me your statement that it didnt come from a typical teen seems a little racist or discriminatory. you dont know who it came from, but if it were a teen, why wouldnt it be ttypical? because they smoke crack? possibly live in the city? why isnt it typical?

now i agree with some of your thought, cnn probably does manipulate info to push an agenda, but kids these days are more complex than we think

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

NO

That's for posers.

Adults can't decipher unfamiliar words from context, I reckon they're implying.

Ha! I love clicking the random button on that website. Its so much fun to read. There's a lot to be learned about slang on that website.

I doubt most kids are texting, "let's have unprotected sex in the back of the school while dropping hits of acid and smoking some blunts." Most parents aren't familiar with current affairs and the media their child is exposed to. So it may be harder than it looks to decipher. But I do agree that this story is overhyping it and fearmongering.

Parents do have a hard time keeping up with kids. The reason is they both usually have to work, and work hard to support the family. Inflation is what has caused the problem. Not neglect or negligence.

There is a much bigger conspiracy a foot.

[edit on 8/26/2010 by dbloch7986]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I doubt most kids are texting, "let's have unprotected sex in the back of the school while dropping hits of acid and smoking some blunts."

Back in the day I would have considered it a splashing idea. But, I take the fifth, oh, yeah, I did take a fifth once too, and lit the towel dispenser in the bathroom on fire. Great days, great days.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
i have no problem keeping up with my kids....but if the keep on taking all my crack they are going to really be in trouble.

plus they always slime the roache with their spit and that really annoys me.

and when i send them out to the dealers they always come back short.

KIDDING

i always text the dealer.

i would never trust my kids to go pick it up.

Joking....man.....

but one of the formers posters is right...what is a typical kid now...

With the way that kids can be in touch with so many through technology...the playing field has changed somewhat.

I tend to try to always keep in touch with my kids and be involved with them as much as possible. It does make a difference.

but when they reach teenage age years....I have become their embarassment just i did to my parents.

when i was sixteen i had hair down to my ass...and my DAD would tell me he didn't want to be seen in public with me....

PAYBACK IS A BITCH.

[edit on 053131p://f13Thursday by plube]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Actually things have changed. For one, with technology, kids are exposed to sex, violence, drugs and general chaos at a younger age, in more quantity or both (i recall faces of death when I was younger).

Its skinny jeans and "metro" as opposed to baggy jeans and macho.

Hip hop and rap are no longer and underground sort of movement. Electronic music is also much popular.

Technology also allow kids to access knowledge faster and stay in constant touch throughout the day.

The marijuana culture has also taken a big up turn.

I think you just described my childhood in one perfect paragraph...Minus the skinny jeans and metro crap....

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well, first off, yes, I read my daughter's text messages from time to time. It pisses her off, but honestly, it's my phone, not her's --- I paid for the phone and I pay the bill.

That aside, nothing she texts is much of a surprise nor is it unintelligable. Sure, there is some L337 speak, but it is easily readable (as is the example in the article).

I agree with the OP. This is just ratings boosting fluff from CNN. Teenagers are not much differant than they were when I was a teen.

[edit on 8-27-2010 by rogerstigers]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
aaahaha oh man. that article made me laugh. i do my fair share of texting, and i can honestly say i have never seen people text '70n16h7 4f73r my p4r3n75 7h1nk 1 4m 45|33p' or anything of the likes. if i ever did get a message like that, i would just laugh and delete the message. and if any of my smoking buddies sent 'LM 4 a ~~#ZZZZZZ>'.. well, i would just assume all those z's meant he had already smoked and was ready for a nap

i can see this leading to all text messages being saved so parents (or anybody with big enough pockets) can access whatever message is sent. it will be labeled as a form of security and welcomed with open arms. mr. jobs is already spying on those of you with new iphones or ipads.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Good points everyone, I was kid of afraid we'd get the "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE KIDS ARE DOING CRACK NOW!" type of thing

reply to post by tweakedvisions

Tweak, I think you are dead on as to where this is trying to lead us. Here's to hoping it doesn't work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join