It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would life for a person be like if he/she didnt have a job?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
so i was just pondering this question, i would say most of the people in the world dont like the work or job they are currently doing, and i have heard majority of the people i have ever talked to that they hate their job. So i was just thinking, and even putting myself in the situation, what if i didn't have to work and had everything else, house, food, entertainment etc...and interestingly , i felt that if i didnt have anything to do and life would be like a paradise, i would actually go crazy. I mean how many years non stop can i JUST workout, play video games or read books, or even do gardening. I guess a job provides enough challenges for me t stay content and whine at the same time?

so anyway, what is your opinion, what would personally happen to you? and i mean actually put yourself in that situation, no job. no hassle and everything you ever wanted in terms of personal entertainment.

P.S i think that our ancestors were too busy surviving that they didnt really have time to even think there would be a generation like ours, where basically everything from food to clothing, to shelter are handed on a silver platter. so probably its that urge that makes me want to think that life without a job would suck?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm very close to being in that situation. I work very few hours a week because I've managed to get my cost of living down so low. And while I still do things that I consider a "waste of time", I focus a lot of my energy on trying to better myself as a person. I read a lot about everything that interests me. I work a little bit every day towards becoming my ideal self.

I don't think I'd get bored in paradise, because even then you can find challenges to keep you interested.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I think everyone hates their job and has hated their job since the first days of having to work. yeah your busy surviving but that little voice in your head just goes, I hate this I hate this.

I work because I have to, I hate my job but I'm thankful for it. Its just the way it is. No one I know likes what they do 24/7.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by the dacoit

it would be great i would love it. I would master my world without the hindrance of needing to afford to live. you say you would go nuts.... what if your job for that year was to master drunkin kung fu or lean how to sculpt or master the leader boards at MW2... no work makes blasted a better boy...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
In that situation, I would pursue a career in writing full time. So, I'd still have a job, but it would be wonderful to not have the worries about whether or not I could support myself doing that.

I think with that ability, a lot of people would still work, but they'd do whatever work they were passionate about and would truly love.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
There is loads to do if you was fortunate enough to not have to work for the man. I have thought / dreamed about this very thing and the trick is not to keep doing what you do in your free time now if you suddenly had all the time in the world to do what you want.

Write, learn or play music, charity work, if you have the money to do so then go and help those who genuinely need help and enjoy the smile and happiness you give to a total stranger.

The world is your oyster and so the only thing that would stop you from enjoying it is you.

Wolfie

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
According to StarTrek, when people don't HAVE to work for food, housing, etc. They spend the rest of their lives working on hobbies or trying to better mankind. I, however, believe that for starters the majority of violent crime would vanish. There are still sickos that will kill and rape, but for the most part the world would be peaceful.

If you consider Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs the majority revolves around finding Love, Esteem, Respect, etc., and ending with finding self actualization. People will begin to ponder themselves and the meaning of life.

The downside of not having to work is that mankind will most likely come to a standstill. There will be no one motivated enough to invent new techniques, divices, expand on others ideas. Or it could have the inverse effect and technological/medical breakthroughs would become common place.

en.wikipedia.org...:Maslow's_Hierarchy_of_Needs.svg

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Loutty]

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Loutty]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Pavlov's dog response.

en.wikipedia.org...

Might call it classical conditioning.

en.wikipedia.org...

If you do something long enough you get into a pattern of behavior.

I have found I enjoy life more the less I work.

That might be the Native American in me...

They tended to only work as much as they needed.

Alot of the ways they are hunted are now illegal.

During the depression my grandfather went to the river with
a crank telephone and shocked fish to the surface and fed
most of his neighbors.

A old cars coil and battery could do this, as could the high
voltage module from most TV's.

A insulation tester called a megger can this as well.

The TV one can kill you, so tread lightly.

It is needless to say these are illegal these days.

All one needs to survive in truth is Air, Water, Food, Shelter,
Self Defense and knowledge of it all.

Air is easy, and some old school ways make water easy,
Slow sand filter plus solar disinfection.

en.wikipedia.org...

Also boiling water via a fire or solar oven works.

Food can be easy via hydroponics and aquaculture.

1 million lbs of food grow on 3 acres in Wisconsin with no fossil
fuel heat due to compost.

Shelter can be made as cheap as $50 per Mike Oehler and it
does not require heat or air conditioning because the temp
3 feet down is the same year round.

www.undergroundhousing.com...

Self defense is pretty straight forward, be it hand 2 hand or weapons.

Knowledge could be transformed from a industry to free for all via
the internet and moodle.

moodle.org...

53,000+ sites in 215 countries.

The system has made us pay state rent for dirt.

If you buy land even in the desert where survival is hard you
are paying property tax even if you just sit there and meditate.

The system is just acting as a middle man for parasites at the top
and parasites at the bottom who make careers on sucking the
life out of the sled dogs pulling the sled that is commerce.

The bloated corrupt monstrosity in DC is not what the founding
fathers had in mind, and it has been that since the end of WW2
and the growth of the military industrial complex.

Even a former marine corp general said he got tired of being
a gangster for capitalism.

Most do not see it because they are distracted by bread and
circuses just like they were in Rome.

With 700+ bases in 130+ countries we are the new Rome.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There was a time in my life when I received a small inheritance - I quit my job, traveled all over the US - saw all the beauty, had many experiences. After three years I decided to stay in the Florida Keys, that was were I happen to be when my funds ran low. I was fortunate to meet some really great people there and actually changed my career to teaching. Those three years are some of my most fond memories now that I am older and retired. If you get the opportunity to do something different while you are young by all means do it. I also took up oil painting during that time, something I had always wanted to do but was always too busy working.

Before you decide to quit your job, make a plan. You don't want to be without the basics -food, shelter.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by crazydaisy]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Actually, retired senior citizens face this situation all the time, and they don't go crazy. Just this site alone would keep me occupied. If I had unlimited money, I'd be on vacations, going to concerts, going to national parks, going to museums, going to movies, bowling in leagues, babysitting, etc. Some people just love to work. They love to have a purpose in life, being productive, etc. There are lottery winners who don't quit their jobs because they love working. When they stop working altogether, part of them seems to fall away.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

If all the jobs were automated, and a person had the ability to do anything that interested them, I would think groups of people would work together on projects. Actors would entertain. Painters would give away art. Engineers would design things for entertainment and higher standards of living. Life would become a lot more enjoyable to me as there wouldn't be a need to tax people. Everyone in this world has something to bring to the table to make all of our lives more enjoyable.

Let me ask you this. If you could pursue any interest you have, would you do it for yourself or to show other what you could do and allow them to enjoy what it is you would enjoy doing?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I am in that situation & its not fun. I was medically discharged from the Army 12 years ago. I live on a military pension, so I have all I need to survive.

At first it was great, freedom to do what I wanted, but then the monotony kicked in. Im sure if you had a fortune stashed away you could go travel etc, but if you cant afford a change of scenery, it gets very frustrating very quickly.

Ive started breeding fish & birds, but theres only so many times you can fill a seed dish. Ive volunteered for several organisations, & this proved to be very good, it gave me some purpose in life, even if it was just 1 or 2 days a week.

In response to the elderly doing it all the time & not going crazy, far from the truth. The main 'job' I volunteered for was driving a bus with a group of elderly out for lunch.

The amount of joy they got from breaking the routine of sitting at home or the respite home was great, & the look on their faces as we got closer to each of their homes, you could see the depression building. They do not like being stuck at home, they hate it, & unless they have some form of dementia, they will go nuts.

Proof of this ? Yes. Due to funding this program was shut down. Not only were they visibly distressed, not upset, distressed, they ALL went rapidly downhill. We have seen ALL of them end up in respite care if not hospital, ALL of them have become deeply depressed, & several have died, with another funeral yesterday.

If they are lucky they end up in a home that has plenty of activities for them, including trips out of the home. There are only a few of this bus full that have not fallen into deep depression, 2 of them have children that care enough to take them out a couple of times a week, they are & always were the most happy on my bus, they were out of the house regularly.

The only others who arent deeply depressed or dead are the 'lucky' ones that developed dementia, & surprisingly quickly, they just dont realise they do the same thing each day, ignorance is literally bliss for them. All but 3 of my group went down hill rapidly, within a month of the bus group ending, & were put in homes.

When this group ended it had a detrimental effect on ALL my passengers, the volunteers & me. One volunteer was put in a home within 2 weeks. These outings kept these people sane & literally alive, when they lost the bus they lost their will.

Im only 39, was forced into retirement at 26, I do envy those who have some purpose in life, even if it is a boring job, thats probably why I have a few dozen projects half started, you get sick of waking up & having nothing you need to do. You just get so bored its depressing, I think we need some form of purpose in life, some reason to get up, or it will get to you eventually.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Well, I imagine that they'd have a lot of down time.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I am a senior citizen - I like to go out once or twice a week but I am very comfortable being home. I find lots to do - cooking, cleaning, gardening, photography, internet (I have an art group and Native American group online, I also do digital art) movies, feeding the animals. My fiance and dog are plenty company for me. Maybe its because I am an introvert - I got fed up dealing with people in the work/business world. I am sure for many it is difficult. My suggestion would be to try to do some of the things you didn't have time for when working. May you find contentment and peace.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If I could, I would definitely travel the world taking as much time as I wanted in each new place. Who knows maybe (not) I'll win the lottery. LOL
Guess that would mean I had enough money to even waste it playing the lottery to begin with...damn.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
A couple of years ago I was laid off from my job in a trim moulding factory. I thought it would be awesome to be on unemployment for a while... it would give me time to organize and fix up my house. Unemployment was not much, around $650 a month. But it was enough to make minimum payments on my credit cards and keep up with utilities.
The reality was... I got depressed rather quickly, started staying in bed till noon or later and drinking heavily. Plus, I gained about 50 lbs in 6 months. I did absolutely nothing to my house... nothing got fixed, no improvements were made. I was utterly useless, and pretty much wished I had never been born.
Although I was eligible for another 6 months of unemployment benefits, when I was offered a full time position in a fast food restaurant I jumped on it. I would much rather be working and feel productive than stay home and do nothing.
A year and a half later, I'm still working at that restaurant. It doesn't pay anywhere near what it should, and there are no benefits. But I am a much happier person. I'm good at my job, the customers love me, and I've managed to make quite a few improvements at home in spite of my full time schedule.
It's really easy to say what you'd do if you didn't have to work, but sometimes... if you don't actually HAVE to do anything, you'll do nothing. I don't ever want to be on unemployment again, even if it means I have to work for minimum wage and be poor and without health care till the end of my life.
Oh... I've managed to take off about 10 lbs of the weight I gained, so wish me luck with the other 40 lbs. :-)

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm on disability and I haven't worked in 2 1/2 years. I'd rather b doing something better with my time. I read a lot, watch documentaries and basically spend my time trying to feel better about my life. I would like to start my own businessof some srt. Got about 8k saved, but with this economy, I don't know...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Flipper (the band not the dolphin) says "you're so bored, 'cause your boring" and I think this is relevant here. I believe many of us would flourish in such a situation, but many more would find the freedom boring. Those who did could always come clean my house and do my laundry.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Imagine what a life it'd be!

I know I for one wouldn't be standing still. There's so much to learn, to taste, to see, to hear, to do, to feel, to experience! Acquire new skills, go travelling, share your time and self with others who are less fortunate.

All in all I'm sure doing new things and exploring the world from a different perspective would lead to new passions that could lead to greater opportunities to use your skills to the benefit of others and possibly lead to untold wealth and riches in that which truly matters, cherished memories and life-long friendships!

Where do I sign up?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
After working for 'the man' all our lives, my huband and I became self employed 10 years ago (still working our 9-5's), and are now totally reliant on our self employment for the past 5 years. We don't have a lot of extra money, we made our purchases while still employed, and live on a lot less today. We both agree that we would rather be self employed than making more money in the 'corporate world. Our priorities changed since those days.

On occasion we see friends that we used to work with back in the day. It's sad to listen to the same old complaints, same old drudge reports, and same old rut, and they just don't see it themselves. My husband and I just look at each other and shrug. It's like they define their lives by thier jobs.

Our free time? We can always find things to do here at home, and we have much more of it these days. It wasn't easy. I remember back in the days that we would go to our place of business every day after our 9-5, while everyone else we worked with went home to play. Now we can play on workdays, spend more time with the child, and plan our week according to our own schedule. Just my .02.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join