It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Sues Teacher Resource for Using the Word "Book"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

That's just it, muzzleflash, Facebook, is laying claim to their name.

Because they feel Teachbook is infringing upon their namesake.

Would they have cared if the name was Teachers Use Books?

I highly doubt it.

Unfortunately, we both see both sides of this, and it's quite silly.

All I see and or think of when I hear the name Facebook is Government data-mining.

In the field of the World Wide Web a name catches people's eye.

I agree with you, this is a frivolous lawsuit, and a waste of courtroom space.

Then again this is America where people sue anything that moves just because it does move.

Where idiots, criminals, and jerks sue and get off easily.

If a criminal can sue for harming themselves while breaking and entering your house, and win, then the entire Judicial System is a joke to begin with, so this frivolous lawsuit is just a measure of how stupid America has become.

reply to post by Three_moons

I agree the relevance has nothing to do with trademark infringement.

However, a website name, using the word "book" is a stretch, and Zuckerberg knows it.

Again, a publicity stunt is all this equals, and a way to get free advertising.

Teachbook takes nothing away from Facebook.

Did the teachers knowingly use it as a means to sidestep a School Administration?

Possibly.

From what I've seen examining Teachbook the website only has the work "book", as a significant relevance to Facebook, nothing else whatsoever.

Like I've stated before, if Zuckerberg losses, he will probably buy them out.

Facebook does not own the word "book", that's silly and ridiculous.

So, according to Zuckerberg, and his slimy malcontent lawyers, anyone connecting any name, with the word "book" is going to ensure the wrath of this tyrant?

I'm tempted to make a website using the word "book" just to watch this smarmy little rat try and sue me, so I can see the look of failure on his face.

I see this upstart as a thief to begin with due to stealing Facebook.

I see a name like Facebook not as a copyright issue, possibly brand recognition, but not copyright infringement, if they used their logo I might see it differently.

reply to post by badw0lf

Now that's funny stuff.

reply to post by pirhanna

I like your post but I disagree.

If Teachbook were only offering a social networking outlet online, Facebook might have a case, considering Zuckerberg's website offers social networking, silly mindless games, advertising, and other various "offerings", and Teachbook goes nowhere near those types of things, in fact, offering assistance in Lesson Plans, that teachers use on a daily basis, as well as forums, chatroom's, and a host of other things Facebook does not have, their unique similarities stops with the word "book" in the name.

I'm actually considering becoming a member of Teachbook now, whereas I rarely use my Facebook account, I sure see more usefulness in Teachbook.

I am a trainer among many other things I have experience in where I could use their website.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ByteChanger

As I stated earlier, possibly I could see this was brand recognition, but not copyright infringement.

About the Government data-mining, do I think Facebook, is a Government operation?

No.

However, I would say Zuckerberg is collecting and re-selling the information, to Government.

There is nothing legally anyone could do about that either.

According to Facebook the information is readily shared via free will.

Mark Zuckerberg is nothing but a middleman.

reply to post by InfaRedMan

Well, a courtroom is not about finding out facts, or the truth, it's about who can lie the best.

And get away with it, legally, a courtroom has no room for truth.

Especially when lawyers are paid exorbitant fees out the ying-yang.

I remember the Toys R Us lawsuits now that you mention it.

If someone was using it before them though that's silly as Hell to claim anything.

reply to post by SciChosis

I agree wholeheartedly.

But we all know this is nothing real just a publicity stunt.

And about grabbing more market shares.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join