It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Sues Teacher Resource for Using the Word "Book"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Yeah electronic addictions are dangerous....

Thread on 5.93 Million years spent Playing World Of Warcraft

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and

Couple Let Baby Starve To Death While Raising Virtual Baby Online

www.huffingtonpost.com...

So yeah, this stuff is deadly....

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

I guess now when I think of frivolous lawsuits it will be synonymous with Facebook.

Facebook - CIA Profile Database

So, does this mean Zuckerberg is acting alone, or a stooge of the Government?

An information data-mining operation suing a teachers website?

The destruction of the classroom is hopes of opening up online indoctrination possibly.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Facebooks claim is ridiculous to think they have exclusive rights to the word book.

I think I will start a social network for book enthusiasts and call it Bookbook℠

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Wait!

Am I open to a lawsuit now because I read books?

What about my referencing books all over ATS?

Or even lending my books out to other interested people?

Is the library going to be sued for owning books now?

Holy crap!

We're talking trillions here in potential lawsuits and counter-suits.

I guess the old Library of Alexandria could sue Facebook?

It pre-dates Facebook and their usage of the word "book".

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Seems to me that this kid ceo is flexing his newfound muscle.
I dont have to tell you how dictators are created

It could be a goverment data mining operation, but with the almost random friending to get a bigger list of "friends", wouldn't that create a lot of noise in the results?
I can imagine a facebook structure would be ideal to scope out groups of like-minded people. The noise would just increase the workload, unless the noise intentional, as a natural social camouflage for the operation.

Your threads make my brain hurt

EDIT: I just bought the copyrights to the word conspiracy, i am going to be so rich.

[edit on 26/8/10 by locster]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by locster

Poor diddems.

Should I get you some aspirin?

Yes, certainly I know how dictators are created, Zuckerberg is one for sure.

Out of control tyrant with a bank account and a business plan.

Watch out, Facebook might just become a branch of our Government, PsyOps Book.

Think about it, Face and Book, booking you via your face, before your crime is committed.

Secret Evidence?

Sure makes one wonder just how much information is too much information.

Of course people seem oblivious how their information can profile their actions.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
gotta love the fact the creators became millionaires off of very little actual labor and now them and their d-bag legal team want to crush any "competition," whether it be legitimate or not. You're not the Rockafellers, facebook, you are a social networking website. They should sentence the entire legal team as well as the chief officers to a few weeks jail time just to make a point. Pathetic pukes.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I agree with Facebook on this one as much as I hate to say it. They could have invented a name for themselves and probably did fine, instead they rip off facebook.

Myspace would have probably sued if they called it Teacherspace and twitter would have sued if it was twiteacher.

You better believe that even Abovetopsecret would sue if a site called AbovePopSecret cropped up about the alternative beliefs behind the making/eating/conspiracy behind popcorn.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "teaching resource" because we all know that teachers feel left out because how creepy is it for a teacher to have a facebook...Pretty creepy.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
so could the makers of the phone book sue facebook? better yet, could face time not be an infringement. Where does it end, and who the frig cares.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Lack of knowledge of how law works is astonishing in this thread. This new website "teachbook" is obviously trying to sound like "facebook" by using the word "book" in combination with another word. It is also a networking site. If it was called something like "teachernetwork" it would not catch on as much and would probably get less traffic. Obviously the makers of "teachbook" are trying to cash in on facebook's success by making their website sound similar to it.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by frozenspark]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark VA84

It is quite pathetic.

This is nothing short of flamboyantly flipping a name out and touting rights Facebook does not have.

Considering all the problems people have with Facebook sharing their information you would think Zuckerberg would know when to keep his fat mouth shut.

And no, the Phone Book might not have a valid lawsuit, but Yellow Book would.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Joking aside, no, facebook couldn't sue "yellow book" or anything-book unless it is a social networking website, which is what this "teachbook" is. Quit being silly.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Loutty

I disagree with Facebook having a valid claim.

Teachers use books and have since we left writing on clay tablets with stylus.

One would have to examine the intent behind using the name Teachbook.

Was it done with the intent towards copying off of Facebook or possibly because teachers use books?

Guess we will have to wait and see when Facebook drags out subpoenaed e-mails between teachers.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

So, you're stating Teachbook is trying to cash in, as in making money?

Does this mean they're only after money or are they a teachers resource website?

Really, networking is one thing, making money is another, sometimes they connect to both.

I believe I said Yellow Book might have a valid claim.

It's called being facetious like the member who mentioned the Phone Book.

Get a sense of humor.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Oh come on, you know damn well that the fact that "teachbook" has a book in its name is not coincidental. They INTENDED on making their SOCIAL (professional) NETWORKING WEBSITE sound a lot like the most popular and ALREADY EXISTING SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITE, and receive more traffic, thus making more money from advertising, and thus indirectly getting rich at the expense of facebook.

Please note I am not defending facebook, it can go to hell for all I care, I just want you to know how law works in this country.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by frozenspark]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark VA84
so could the makers of the phone book sue facebook? better yet, could face time not be an infringement. Where does it end, and who the frig cares.

Or should facebook sue the phonebook for having a bigger community?

www.thephonebook.bt.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I know exactly how law works, thank you for trying to explain, it's appreciated.

No, I do not know, not for a fact, that Teachbook copied off of Facebook.

Could I assume?

Sure.

Is it likely?

Yes.

Did it happen exactly that way?

Not necessarily.

I read legalese like regular writing and policy, procedure, and protocol like a kid's book.

Being you're a newer member, and this is the first time I've ever talked with you, I will excuse you're abrasiveness towards me, if you will excuse my being facetious.

I have a sense of humor, I know exactly how to interpret information, studying the intent, the direction it leads, and whether something is propaganda based.

Or not.

This is quite ridiculous of Facebook to sue another website.

They cannot lay claim to one word connecting to another with this because it is silly.

What if the teachers or whoever put together Teachbook tried all sorts of names?

And this was the one they settled on?

Intent.

Facebook has to prove without a doubt that the intent was to disparage and or take away their business and or copy their business model, networking website or not.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
There's accounting software called QuickBooks.

Every year the telephone companies (it seems I get them from more than one source) sends me things I call "phone books". Don't tell anyone, I might get in trouble for that.

In India, a largely Hindu country, people who are Muslim, Jewish or Christian are called "people of the book" because they all recognize a particular "book", the Old Testament.

I'm sure glad Facebook is going to court to stop all these incorrect and abusive uses of our language.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by oniongrass]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by oniongrass

I'm sure Mark Zuckerberg is frantically pacing to figure out how to sue everyone.

Next thing you know he will go after any other networking website.

Whether is uses the word "book" or not just because it is a social networking website.

Watch out Kelley Blue Book!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
First, I think the title is misleading. SpartanKingLeonid, I'm not blaming you but rather Chris Crum, the author of the article. I clicked fearing some frivolous lawsuit but instead found something else after a little digging. This is clearly an infringement on a business' trademark. Anyone's entitled to dislike Facebook and all it represents but this is about a business riding the coattails of another through imitation. They're protecting their name and their business which they're entitled to do.

From the teachbook suit

Defendant has touted on its website that TEACHBOOK is a substitute for Facebook: "Many schools forbid their teachers to maintain Facebook and MySpace accounts because of the danger that students might learn personal information about their teachers...(read more on page 5, #16)

Related article: Teachers asked to 'unfriend' students on Facebook

Years ago I was talking with a customer and we were discussing the name of my company at the time. I'm unsure what field she was in but she told me a story that's somewhat related. There was a guy who wanted to use his personal name for his business name. Someone else had already trademarked the same name, even though it wasn't his name, and now the person with the name wasn't allowed to use his own name for his business. It doesn't seem fair that someone can't use their own name but the name was already trademarked.

Originally posted by Loutty
Also, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "teaching resource" because we all know that teachers feel left out because how creepy is it for a teacher to have a facebook...Pretty creepy.

From the source

It lets teachers create lesson plans, instructional videos, and other teaching resources. It lets users manage their classroom communications with secure parent-teacher communication tools (gradebook, events calendar, classroom newsletter, homework space). It lets teachers communicate with colleagues through discussion, chat, blogs, etc. It lets them create and manage online courses and instructional modules. It lets teachers manage student grades by recording, calculating, and sharing them within the Gradebook.

A bit off topic, but I really enjoy this version of Creep thats in the movie trailer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join