It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walter Block Destroys A Communist – Minimum Wage Laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Before watching this video, you need to prepare yourself for the brutal carnage that is about to be unleashed. I always find it difficult to watch someone get totally destroyed in front of an audience. I could only imagine the humiliation this guy must feel at the hands of Block.

Dr. Block unleashes the full fury of Blockdom upon a communist insurgent who claims to be a capitalist. The communist argues that we need minimum wage laws and labor unions in order to have “social justice” – which is a code word for robbing the rich to supposedly uplift the poor working class.

The communist actually acknowledges that minimum wage laws create unemployment because they prevent unskilled labor (which has a low marginal revenue) from getting a job. But he then says we need welfare programs to make up for this induced unemployment. - Block points out that having a low paying job and getting welfare would be better than having no job and getting welfare – utterly destroying his communist logic.

Block catches the communist making an unending amount of flip-flopping contradictory statements and finally crushes him with a ten ton hammer of logic.

This following video is brutal, cold, and violent.

Also, I need to warn you that the communist sounds like a smug arrogant SOB with a holier-than-thou attitude. Listening to him speak for anything longer than 10 seconds may cause you to become angry and throw things. Please do not break your monitor should you become enraged. He’s not worth it.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I usually like your post, mnemeth1, so I watched the whole thing. I have to disagree with your assessment. I didn't really see the slam dunk win you saw. Block did have the more logical argument, IMO, but his presentation and organization left a lot to be desired.

Add to that neither side really addressed the "value" of the money for which people are busting their butts. What good is it to argue for or against a minimum wage when your wages are essentially smoke and mirrors anyway?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Well I for one openly admit I ain't watching an hour of something mnemeth liked. It is costly enough for me to waste my time on correcting him constantly.

So what is your real beef with minimum wage, welfare, social justice, and the working poor? You keep pointing to so many different reasons that I tend to believe the real reason is one you're hiding. Is it a deep hatred for seeing bums begging for change? Is it the "baby machine" single mothers scamming the welfare system? Is it that you believe you are somehow better, and have higher moral character than them? Have you been victimized by a poor person? Attacked? Raped?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Both these guys are terrible speakers and both of them clealy look at things from an academic stand point. The truth is they both are corrent about somethings and wrong about others. I can not pick a winner from that mess. Although I would say we all may be a little dumber for having to listen to the two of them.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
please do some research on why the minimum wage was first made into a law. the reasons behind it are fully spelled out in simple english.

if you wish for the US to become another cambodia, laos, or vietnam...by all means you can advocate for no minimum wage. capitalism, in its truest form, works brilliantly in those countries.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You're citing a monarchy and two communist states as examples of capitalism.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 26-8-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Block Won.

Hands down.

His opponent pulled out the sort of straw man argument/false dichotomy crap I expect to see on the interwebs - not flowing from a professors mouth. Alas.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Exuberant1]

new topics

top topics

join