It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat Ascertainment: Why Saturated Fat Doesn't Cause Heart Disease

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
Products high in saturated fats are typically priced higher and are consumed more often

My reply:

Originally posted by soleprobe
Just because products containing saturated fat are priced higher doesn’t mean saturated fat by itself is more expensive.

Your reply:

I never said saturated fat was more expensive.

That’s correct… I was merely clearifying that expensive foods with saturated fat doesn’t mean saturated fat is more expensive.

Also, what does cooking with animal fat have to do with anything posted here? If you ….could, would you mind staying on topic?

The title of this thread is: “Why Saturated Fat Doesn't Cause Heart Disease”

Animal fat is saturated fat… so it has everything to do with the topic of this thread.

Most people don't cook with lard/fat anymore… Most cook with oil, which can come in forms high in saturated fat or unsaturated, depending on which you prefer.

Yes most people cook with oil but you know very well that most of the oil people cook with (canola, soy, corn, sunflower) is high in mono and unsaturated fats and lower in saturated fats… Very few people prefer cooking oil that is high in saturated fat as evidenced by the huge quantities of canola, soy, corn, sunflower cooking oil stocked on the supermarket shelves. And I gave the reason why that is in my previous posts. Saying that people used to cook with lard or beef tallow (saturated fat) is within the subject matter of this thread.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by soleprobe]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by soleprobe

Ummmmm....about half, and sometimes more, of the fat content found in animal meat its unsaturated. Mono- even. And most seed oil is polyunsaturated.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

[edit on 27-8-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

yes... I believe coconut oil is very high in saturated fat content (92%) and it's supposed to have many health benefits:

www.organicfacts.net...

[edit on 27-8-2010 by soleprobe]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
When Reagan was President, they made a series of laws that meat fat had to be trimmed to 1/2 or 1/4 inch and then less and less till it was essentially zero like we have today ... and then they got rid of the federal meat inspectors claiming the industry would poilice itself.

Well, a year after the final meatfat-trimming law was put into effect the big headlines were about Amercians Getting Fat!

Further, I spent an entire year on 100% veggies and no mayonnaise or other fats (which included salad dressings, peanuts and avacadoes). My cholesterol sky-rocketed! It was some 15 years later when my father mentioned having his cholesterol sky-rocket on a zero fat diet. Cholesterol in SOME people is hereditary. Your body makes what it doesn't get naturally. Docs have now diagnosed mine as hereditary form. It goes away when I include fats in the diet properly.

Since then, I've seen articles that PROVE cholesterol isn't related to fat-consumption - AND - like your post says, that fat isn't related to heart disease. I don't have the links anymore though.

The "fat epidemic" is caused by people dropping fat from the diet. My opinion AND that of the articles I read.

Dropping fat from the diet suddenly also CAUSED choleostomas which were surgically removed in office.

We should eat the PROPER food pyramid - so - fat shouldn't dominate our meals; but, ideally should be included. Fat is required to metabalize both vitamins A & D. (A & D used to be included in milk, now it's not always included. Osteoporosis (lack of D and calcium) is on the rise too.

Moral of the story - he who avoids the "fat" becomes FAT.

[edit on 27/8/2010 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Honestly, most diets don't work for the same reason that exercise alone doesn't work. Energy balance is NOT the issue.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Really? You think following the advice of "eat mostly fruits and vegetables with minor contributions from whole grain carbs and lean meats" is going to cause disease?

Where would you get fat soluble vitamins in such a diet? What about anti nutrients? A diet like that certainly could cause disease imo.

There's no real profit to be made in saturated fats versus unsaturated, so I doubt "big food" is involved

Vegetable oils? Soy? Corn? etc. etc. etc.

Great post Dev.

Saturated fat is a very important aspect of human nutrition imo, for males more saturated fat means more testosterone, they enhance the immune system, they are the preferred fuel source for the heart and they are probably the cleanest burning macro-nutrient making them ideal for fueling energy needs throughout the day.

The governments afraid of people eating too much sat fat, people might actually be healthy lol. I love the looks and reactions I get when I buy 3 pounds of butter and 2 gallons of raw full fat colostrum enriched milk each week, people think I'm nuts.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The following is from a nice article written by Malcom Kendrick, MD, in which he details just how wrong LIpid Hypothesis is:

www.thincs.org...

And what of Framingham and saturated fat. Let us quote William Castelli, director of the Framingham study for many years.

"In Framingham, Massachusetts, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower people's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories weighed the least and were the most physically active." Dr William Castelli 1992 (Director of the Framingham study)

The Frammingham study is one the most often quoted as evidence in support of the lipid hypothesis.....OOOOPS!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Here's another great source for reading about heart disease progression and cause

blog.cholesterol-and-health.com...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join