It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today in History - 19th Amendment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
On today in history, August 26, 1920.

The 19th Amendment to the Constitution - giving women the right to vote - took effect.

That was only 90 years ago!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It is an important day indeed. I went ahead and did a look-up on news articles regarding this anniversary to see what people were saying. The MSM has a few articles on it, but I found this good article on this topic today from a very unlikely source, The Ethiopian Review:

www.ethiopianreview.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
What a great link...

Amazing how hard it was for us to get to vote, and to think if it wasn't for Harry Burn and his respect for his mother the 19th Amendment probably would have been voted down.

I didn't know that... that's really neat!

Can't believe it took an Ethiopian Review site to read such a great article!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OceanStone

Really weird, eh? Ehtiopia has a horrible history on Women's Rights, but yet they have such a good article on this. Go figure lol.

Here is an article about Women in Ethiopia. Absolutely HORRIBLE, but I think it is important to consider the ongoing persecution of women's rights, especially on the anniversary of our own 19th Amendment!

www.womankind.org.uk...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

And look at how bad it has gotten in only 90 years.
I AM JOKING!!!
Or am I?
Discuss?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Double post as to keep the purity of my first statement.
I am a Male pig yes, but I hold women in the highest regard.
The stongest woman I know of is my wife who while I do not have a shrine for her I still thank the Goddess for her every day.
My mother was an extremely strong woman and I have nothing but the highest regard for her too.
I have met and known many strong and good willed women but, in "my" opinion I think there are some areas that women shouldn't be.
Yes I did say Goddess as I believe that if there were any Deity that could take care of a bunch of Idiots like us humans, it would have to be a Mommy.
That said fire away without abandon I will still keep my same opinion, as it is just a deep feeling of mine.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Unbelievable for women in Ehtiopia...

Early and forced marriage or marriage by abduction?

And this..

"According to the Ethiopian Demographic and Health Survey, 85% of women believe their husbands have the right to beat them if they burn food, refuse sex, or go somewhere without their husband's consent."

Good God, those poor women!

Sad, sad article, thank God I was born in the US of A!!!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Now as for rape, beating or abuse in any form I would not abide for my wife, daughters, friends, Etc.
None of us need to be harmed.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
I have met and known many strong and good willed women but, in "my" opinion I think there are some areas that women shouldn't be.

In a way I do agree, not sure what "areas" you were refering to but the "areas" I don't think a women should be in is positions that require great upper body strength.

If I was in a fire filled house, I would want a large fireman to save me... please don't everyone jump on me, I know a woman is just as strong as a man per unit of muscle mass but on average, men are bigger then women... so they are stonger.

Did I open a can of worms here with my statement??? lol

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Nope the can has been open for years just alot of people will not get onto this slippery slope as we still do not know where it goes.
kudos though.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Don't know about the can of worms, but one of the strongest PEOPLE that I have ever known was my assistant squad leader in the army. She was a Navajo Indian, and she could kick a%$!

To use your thought...If I ever had to go to war, I would want my Lady Army buddy with me!

If she ever became a firefighter, I would want her to carry me out.

However, I do understand your point. I have never known a woman like my army buddy anywhere, so maybe she was the exception.

IMO, I think that men are naturally larger physically, but women have much more internal focus than men, so that if they want to be as strong, they can...but that is their choice.

My issue is any culture that prevents that woman from being able to make that choice in the first place, to be either strong and beautiful, or just strong, or just beautiful.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Hmmm good point... maybe I should say I would want the BIGGEST firefighter man or woman with the most units of muscle mass... wow, I'm picky about who saves me...

Women being abused in different countries and cutures.... what about Universal Human Rights? Wasn't this suppose to stop with what occurs in these countries?

I did some searching, and found this article:

www.un.org...

And found my answer... "By rejecting or disregarding their legal obligation to promote and protect universal human rights, States advocating cultural relativism could raise their own cultural norms and particularities above international law and standards."

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Great article you found!

And it should be Universal that women have the right to be equal to men in all ways, but way too many cultures in the world do not see it that way at all. It makes me both angry and sad at the same time.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

And the welfare state was born. Up went taxes. Then, Obama. Thanks ladies. Remember, just because you can vote, doesn't mean you should.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by astrogolf

Here are some facts:

On August 14, 1935, the Social Security Act established a system of old-age benefits for workers, benefits for victims of industrial accidents, unemployment insurance, aid for dependent mothers and children, the blind, and the physically handicapped.

www.ourdocuments.gov...

Welfare was first established as a federal program during the Great Depression. In 1935, Congress enacted aid that focused primarily on widows, orphans, divorced or deserted mothers and their children. The congress members of the 74th United States Congress from January 3, 1935 to January 3, 1937, during the third and fourth years of Franklin Roosevelt's presidency are as follows:

Total number of members of the congress = 531
Total number of women members of the congress = 8

In a radio address in 1938, Roosevelt reminded the American people that:

“Democracy has disappeared in several other great nations, not because the people of those nations disliked democracy, but because they had grown tired of unemployment and insecurity, of seeing their children hungry while they sat helpless in the face of government confusion and government weakness through lack of leadership....Finally, in desperation, they chose to sacrifice liberty in the hope of getting something to eat. We in America know that our democratic institutions can be preserved and made to work. But in order to preserve them we need...to prove that the practical operation of democratic government is equal to the task of protecting the security of the people....The people of America are in agreement in defending their liberties at any cost, and the first line of the defense lies in the protection of economic security.”

“One problem that many welfare critics cite is that there are ways that welfare recipients could potentially abuse the system. However, the abuse of the welfare system, although widely covered by the media and quoted by those advocating stricter welfare laws, is only a small part of the system. The original concept of welfare, as envisioned by Roosevelt, was to make money readily available for those that need it. The fear now is that the easier that it is to receive government aid, the more potential for abuse is added to the system. As with taxes, there are those that try to milk the welfare system. But also similar to the tax system is that the number of people who abuse the system is fewer than the number of legitimate users. Although it would be ideal to have a system with almost no fraud, it’s not practical because so many people in need of the assistance would slip through the cracks while waiting for the approval of the government.”

www.nyu.edu...

[edit on 27-8-2010 by OceanStone]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

So men created the Welfare State! Never thought about it that way, but based on the voting record, men did indeed create our system of Taxation and Welfare, and many more issue-laden systems. Politically in fact, the male gender is responsible for every single system in place, right or wrong. IF you like Taxes, thank men. If you hate welfare, hate men, lol.

Good links by the way OceanStone, informative. I like the point in the conclusion of the nyu article about it not being a matter of having a welfare state, but rather, to what degree the welfare is provided.

Also, I just don't get the other posters notion that women are responsible for electing Obama. Huh, really, and huh?

Personally, I have not liked a President since Ulysses S. Grant, except for some aspects of the Presidencies of Truman and Ike. I think both political parties have really just become polarized control systems of the masses....Hate Bush, Hate Obama, Hate Biden, Hate Cheney (well...everyone should hate Cheney lol). But how did Obama get elected because of Women?

Here is a link for the exit polls of the 2008 election:
www.cnn.com...

Maybe the other Poster was using sarcasm?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
That link was really neat.. (love CNN!)! I found out tho that I don’t fall into the “majority” of the categories… For one, I voted for John McCain.

What I do know is that women don't take anything for granted, including the right to vote, we also exercise it in much greater numbers and greater percentages than men.

“For six decades after women obtained the right to vote in 1920, they voted at lower rates than men. However, in the 1980 election women caught up with men, and according to U.S. Census data, in every subsequent election women have voted at an increasingly higher rate than men”

www.apsanet.org...

And yes, women are a larger proportion of the population and… IF… EVERY woman voted and… IF… EVERY man voted, then yes, we (as women) would win the “popular” vote but still not necessarily the “electoral” vote.

Originally posted by lasertaglover[/url]

Also, I just don't get the other posters notion that women are responsible for electing Obama. Huh, really, and huh?

Exactly!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by OceanStone
And yes, women are a larger proportion of the population and… IF… EVERY woman voted and… IF… EVERY man voted, then yes, we (as women) would win the “popular” vote but still not necessarily the “electoral” vote.

I quoted myself because I forgot to add.... that's... IF... EVERY woman voted for the SAME candidate, then yes, we (as women) would win the “popular” vote but still not necessarily the “electoral” vote.

(Sorry, I was in a rush this morning)

Maybe the poster was trying to be sarcastic but doesn't sarcasm have to have a least a tiny bit of truth?...
... in other words... his sarcsm didn't even hold up!

[edit on 28-8-2010 by OceanStone]

[edit on 28-8-2010 by OceanStone]

top topics

join