It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Computers Attacked With Flash Drive

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElijahWan
reply to post by IsALL

Clearly not if you thought that the "drivers" on a PC determined what kind of applications can be run a target PC.

I NEVER said that the drivers determined what kind of applications can be run. EVER.

Please learn to read!

I was saying the DRIVERS determine HOW the application makes it onto the computer in the first place, so that is can be run!

There is only TWO ways for a USB device to automatically load an application on a computer, and execute it. Both of those ways are limited by device drivers. I already mentioned both of those ways.

I was simply telling Agit8dChop that it is not some "super spy" thing.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by IsALL

Dude, you need to take a breathe go have a coffee and come back with a more civil tone.

no need to be rude.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I think most of you should read up on Microsoft/NSA COFEE.
www.microsoft.com...

The fully customizable tool allows your on-the-scene agents to run more than 150 commands on a live computer system. It also provides reports in a simple format for later interpretation by experts or as supportive evidence for subsequent investigation and prosecution. And the COFEE framework can be tailored to effectively meet the needs of your particular investigation.

I thought everybody already knew about COFEE. They program a USB flash drive with commands the flash drive collects the data its told to and saves it to the USB flash drive. Takes them all of a few seconds.

Theres more information on this at Wikileaks. The file even has the program in it so you can make your own USB flash drive to do it.

www....__._/wiki/Microsoft_COFEE_(Computer_Online_Forensics_Evidence_Extractor)_tool_and_documentation,_Sep_2009

Apparently Microsoft's COFEE software that helps law enforcement grab data from password protected or encrypted sources is leaking all over the internet. So not only can you steal the software, but break the law by using it too.

Yep, it's all out there on the internet, but if you use it to grab private data from someone else's computer chances are you're in for a world of legal hurt. It's one of the few pieces of software I can think of where the subsequent use is more illegal than the act of downloading it.

gizmodo.com...

[edit on 26-8-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I don't need to take a breather. I am perfectly fine...

I am just frustrated because of people like you who just can't accept when someone knows more about a subject than you. I understand what you are saying... "maybe it's possible that some brand new super
USB device was made by the spies". I am trying to tell you that the device is limited by the drivers on the target PC. Unless they install super spy USB drivers on the computer, the super USB device wont work. The only way it would work if it used generic drivers, meaning it would only work as a generic device.

It wouldn't matter if you had some super secret spy virus executable stored on the device, there is only very few ways that executable can be executed automatically.

It's just 100% logic... and when people fail to understand 100% logic and still try to debate about it, it is 100% frustrating.

I am also frustrated when people like ElijahWan completely fail to read and comprehend what I am trying to say, and mistakenly tell me that I am in error after wrongly quoting or interpreting what I said. After explaining myself, they continue to rant about me being in error. It is completely idiotic!

It is getting more and more difficult to talk to some ATS users these days. I don't know if is because they are reading too fast and replying without thinking... or if they not reading at all, just skimming the post, and replying on a hunch of what they think someone said?

It makes me want to hit my head against the wall.... it's like talking to badly programmed artificial intelligence.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by IsALL]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I am familiar with how that works. It only works as a "bootable USB device" like I mentioned in my first post. You have to have a generic USB mass storage device for it to work.

It's basically a more advanced version of a "windows password recovery" disk, which is not illegal and available for system admins. Sometimes administrators forget passwords to certain computers and there is a tool that allows you to change the password so you can gain access. The only way to do it, is to do it before the operating system boots up. So you have to do is as a "boot device".

Have you ever heard of "The Ultimate Boot CD"? It works similar to that.. it is able to run it's own mini operating systems, and executables. I think the password recovery tool might be on there, I can't remember. Look it up, it's a very useful download that you can burn on a disk or put on a flash drive.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by IsALL

But COFEE is programable. Which is a little different then a boot cd. The NSA had Microsoft add it as a hack for them to use at airports. It runs in the bios to avoid the operating system on the computer. Seems the NSA loves using the bios as a drive to run unix software in for hacking.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by IsALL

But COFEE is programable. Which is a little different then a boot cd.

The boot CD is programmable too. However you have to program it before you burn it on CD. That is the upside to putting the boot CD on a flash drive, you can change the information stored on the flash drive at any time. You can change the program (reprogram) on the flash drive and then re-run it. If you wanted, you could even program your own COFEE type mini operating system which allows you to program the flash drive.

So, there is actually no real difference. The only reason I mentioned the boot disk is because it loads a bunch of mini executables, including graphics and everything, before the operating system. It itself loads CD drivers, USB drivers, network drivers, graphics drivers, etc. and takes advantage of them. It's like a mini operating system.

The NSA had Microsoft add it as a hack for them to use at airports. It runs in the bios to avoid the operating system on the computer.

Thats why I mentioned the boot disk. It avoids the operating system.

The BIOS (basic input output system) is just "firmware". It is just the first code run a computer. It has the most control over all the devices of the computer. Gaining access form the BIOS is just a lot easier than bootstrapping with a flash drive or CD.

Seems the NSA loves using the bios as a drive to run unix software in for hacking.

BIOS is just firmware.. It makes more sense to control the computer from the BIOS as it can control the computer with greater ease and access.

I used to do some BIOS hacking back in my day so that I can unlock and overclock CPU's to run faster... or burn up and explode... LOL

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join