It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple 'traitorware' can take your photo and shut down your jailbroken iPhone, iPad

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Wow isnt this what Apple was against at the beginning ?
now there becoming big brother also ...

Just like Microsoft got caught red handed with the networking with
Windows 95 and the Pentium 3 Serial No with NSA

Pentium 3
Controversy about privacy issues
en.wikipedia.org...
`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions
- TC / TCG / LaGrande / NGSCB / Longhorn / Palladium / TCPA

www.cl.cam.ac.uk...

Advisory group asks EU to consider Pentium III ban
November 29, 1999
www.cnn.com...

NSA key to Windows: an open question(CNN)
September 4, 1999
www.cnn.com...

Microsoft Denies Windows 7 Has NSA Backdoor
2:11 PM - November 20, 2009 by Marcus Yam - source: Tom's Hardware US
www.tomshardware.com...

AND NOW APPLE is practically doing the same thing !!?

I remember pretty well that Apple and the 2 Steve's ,, Job and Woz
right at the Beginning of Macintosh in 1984 want none of this security! or a Big Brother 1984 Episode ! (Big Brother is watching you ) seem like their joined in with Microsoft

Here is their vision back in the day of Destroying Big Brother 1984

1984 was not supposed to be a instruction manual

1984 Apple's Macintosh Commercial

1983 Apple Keynote-The "1984" Ad Introduction

As Microsoft Spread the BS on the Apple OS 8 Microsoft
Partnership of Microsoft with Apple Big brother is in Controll!!

The day that Apple Died is what i call this video Below Show BILL GATES AS BIG BROTHER with FULL BIGSCREEN!!!!!!!! 1984 it sure is!!!!! Go to the 30.10 min mark of the Video Below to see what I Mean!!!!

MAcworld boston 1997 ful version (26:10 min mark please watch)

I miss Commodore would Tramiel (Founder of Commodore) would ever had any of this Traitorware BS Spying Big Brother Control

Commodore basically failed because it had limited expansion and the the lack Ability to upgrade.. as it had exterme limitations. and it dropped Commodore to its Knees because of it. but it did have the First 3voice(SID) 16 color Graphics) System at a Low cost... Then they had the Amiga a Phenomenal Computer that Failed for the Same reason

The Commodore 64/128 & Amiga had Compatibility with Apple & IBM with certain Software and Modifications

as Expansion & Upgrade(Video(graphics) ,Sound & Memory , accessories was available to IBM & Compatible's with the help of Microsoft and became the dominant Computer and Apple later played Catch up...

as i Heard that Commodore is making a come back... will it learn from its old competitions Apple & Microsoft/IBM ?

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by SciChosis

And it's the ONLY way to record music, seriously, trying to make music on windows is a friggin joke, hence why you'll not find a pc in any studios

Off topic but I'll take you to task on your bias. I am and have been an electronic musician since the 80's. I have many friends in the industry and not one of them uses a MAC.

It has NOTHING to do with the operating system in regards to sound quality or even ease of recording. Those aspects rely solely on the quality of your input sources, sound card, drivers and software. You have unquestioningly drunk the MAC Kool-Aid man.

IRM

[edit on 26/8/10 by InfaRedMan]

I'm a producer also, and have to throw my $.02 in.

It depends on what software you choose, but if you're worth your weight as a producer, you will eventually run one of the flavors of Ableton for at least one or two features of the program.

The fact of the matter is that Ableton was designed for the Mac platform & just runs better on MacOS.

I despise all that Apple stands for and is, but regretfully I had to purchase a Macbook for Ableton use solely.

One has to face up to the fact that the Mac just runs some production software better than other OS's.

I don't want to start a debate or derail the thread. I'm just throwing that out there, and you'll have to agree if you're a serious Ableton user.

Sure, there are alternatives to Ableton, but it's really the production software by which all others are measured at this point.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by susp3kt]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SciChosis

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Of course Apple does have a "Powerful" processor much more so than AMD or Intel but even with all of that power macs crash more than Lindsey Lohan on a saturday night binge.

What on earth are you gibbering about? Macs use intel processors now and have done for ages, and mine hasn't crashed in the year or so I've owned it, despite rather consistent use

And it's the ONLY way to record music, seriously, trying to make music on windows is a friggin joke, hence why you'll not find a pc in any studios

You're absolutely correct. I've found that 99% of people who use computer in a creative field where your livelihood depends on the reliability of you computer uses Macs. In studios where I have worked people wont touch PCs. We have had multiple g5 Macs running virtually 24/7 for years only occasionally even being turned off, and have NEVER ONCE CRASHED!

It also annoys me how people with PC's expect that their computers will break down, have compatibility issues,not recognize hardware etc. Its like a badge of honer to make your PC work. I just don't understand the mentality. If your new car gave you as many problems as your brand new PC you would want to bring it back. Macs really do just work. I used PC's and ill never go back.

If you want to play games get a PC if you do anything creative get a Mac.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by drock905]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Of course Apple does have a "Powerful" processor much more so than AMD or Intel

That has not been true in many years. If a salesman tells you that, run and don't buy.

In fact they now use Intel.

PC's blew their doors off years ago and Mac's are just now catching back up by switching to PC Hardware.

I'm into Graphics and Apples share of that market dropped to under 11% at one time in the CG market because they were slow and overpriced. Even now 85% of the CG market is PC. The new 6 Core Processors are where its at or you can to multiple Xeons. Some of the Software Developers no longer even bother with Mac versions. Although that is changing again now.

After that performance Apples CEO put on a few weeks ago over the screwed up I-Phones, I don't know why people buy them. They are like designers clothes. Toys for wealthy fools.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Ok ok I get it I am not totally up to speed on "Fruit on the box".
However, the popular opinion seems to be Mac is an overpriced PoS.
Now we couple that with the Open source questionability of Mac and their trying to shut that down.
Just in case "someone steals your phone".

I will stick with my pc as we have been through the "big brother" scare and came out of it with many wonderful tools that are totally free!
Now Mac is just about to deal with big brother, enjoy.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

And people complain about Bill Gates and say he is the devil. Apple fanboys are funny beings.

That's exactly why I never really liked Apple. Their products look great but they manage to be worst than Microsoft.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
When Google started to say they'd infringe on my privacy, I dropped them like a bad habit.

Now Apple is telling me that I can't jailbreak my iPhone and they'll take extreme measures against me like collecting personal info and photos, that just goes way over the line for me.

I have the iPhone 3GS and it will be the last iPhone I own. I'm a big Apple fan, but I'm making the switch to Android. (I know it's made by Google but still...)

So screw you Apple, I may jailbreak an iPhone when you implement this traitorware and make sure the camera is pointed towards my butt.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

reply to post by m0r1arty

You would have to admit that Apple used to be the renegade thing or cool thing to do, ...until they sold out to the man anyway.

Glad I started with a IBM PC clone and kept the course.

First let me say I'm typing this on my Macbook, with my iphone 4 sitting beside me.

Now if you think anything electronic, or anything physical for that matter makes you cool, I feel sorry for you bud.

I love the apple products I have but an apple fanboy I am not. And believe me I see them all the time, as I work in a related industry. But in the interest of discussion I wonder what your motives for your post are? You compare apple products to dirty underwear but don't give any reason other then how much they crash. That statement seems like you've never used a Mac. Have you? I can't remember the last time mine crashed. And I do a lot of stuff that i'm sure works the processor (recording editing music etc.) When I used PC they crashed countless times. This brings me to the point of this post, Don't lump all apple users in together as those apple fanboys ( my word I know not yours) I use apple products that work for what I need them to do. My computer does all the stuff music/video related that my pc never could (believe me I tried to make it for years.) The iphone has pluses and minuses. The typing isn't great, and the email support could be better but the good out ways the few bad things. Plus thats why I use a blackberry at work.

/RANT

Oh and to stay on topic, meh if they really want to snap shots of my nostrils while I'm using my phone go a.. Really doubt they'll ever shut my phone off and if they do there is ways of getting it fixed.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Can I just point something out, WITHOUT DERAILING THE THREAD, this is just FYI, Apple does NOT have a more powerful processor than Intel etc, Apple USES Intel chips in their desktop // workstation // server systems.

Previously they used IBM PowerPC chips, which did outperform their Intel counterparts on the majority of tests, that no longer applies now that Apple use Core and Xeon chips manufactured by Intel which are found in the majority of standards PC's (as well as AMD).

[edit on 27/8/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by Blaine91555

Can I just point something out, WITHOUT DERAILING THE THREAD, this is just FYI, Apple does NOT have a more powerful processor than Intel etc, Apple USES Intel chips in their desktop // workstation // server systems.

Exactly. It's a question of personal preference these days. I use both MAC and PC in my day job as a graphic designer and multimedia teacher. Though my preference goes to PC, I have no issues working on MAC. I like them both for different reasons.

I wish people would save the MAC v PC arguments for a different thread.

IRM

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
this doesn't mean that they will use it on consumer hardware, this kind of technology is a perfect way for apple to get government contracts because they can snoop in and check on stolen phones for a who done it, and make phones with important information more secure, as for claiming that this is for jailbroken phones that is just fear mongering as the government already passed a law that says its completely legal for you to jailbreak your i-devices

Federal regulators lifted a cloud of uncertainty when they announced it was lawful to hack or “jailbreak” an iPhone, declaring Monday there was “no basis for copyright law to assist Apple in protecting its restrictive business model.”

www.wired.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

as if none of the other phones can't do this now anyway. I'm not defending iphone but they can already track you throughout your phone and everything else now anyway

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CTrider

They usually control 100% of what the user gets so the user won't screw up his own experience accidentally.

So basically your own incompetence is the main reason for you choosing an Apple product..?

Tell me, if Chevrolet made a car that would only run with Chevrolet gasoline, would you buy that car..? Would be happy with that restriction..? Would you enjoy that comforting warmth that comes from knowing you won't accidentally put in the wrong kind of gasoline..? Would you..? (read that with Stewie's voice)

ps. I have used iMacs and older Macs.. They resemble Linux, since they both are based on Unix...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by k0mbination

as if none of the other phones can't do this now anyway. I'm not defending iphone but they can already track you throughout your phone and everything else now anyway

So what do you suggest we do? Nothing? Resign to Big Brother? I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. You don't appear to care!

IRM

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
So much for Apples (always bogus) claim of "Buy apple, we dont get hacked"

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lynxlynx
reply to post by CTrider

They usually control 100% of what the user gets so the user won't screw up his own experience accidentally.

So basically your own incompetence is the main reason for you choosing an Apple product..?

Tell me, if Chevrolet made a car that would only run with Chevrolet gasoline, would you buy that car..? Would be happy with that restriction..? Would you enjoy that comforting warmth that comes from knowing you won't accidentally put in the wrong kind of gasoline..? Would you..? (read that with Stewie's voice)

ps. I have used iMacs and older Macs.. They resemble Linux, since they both are based on Unix...

Well, I was more like thinking how Windows behaves even in "normal" use (I refer mostly to XP and earlier). It renders itself to re-install condition in 6 months. Same with Nokia phones á la Symbian. Apple does not let that happen with their products. That's part of "just working". If it means omitting flash or multitasking from phones the so be it. I don't want secondary features to screw up my user experience with the primary features. Not now when I know better. I used to think it was my fault I got my gadgets in such unusable shape. That was before Apple opened my eyes to the truth.

And Apple does not restrict the brand of electricity the gadets use. That would be a direct and valid parallel. Your example is totally invalid. (read with brian's voice).

And you're correct. The UNIX relation is what makes the other 2 OS's fundamentally better than Windows. OSX is just the more consumer friendly of the two. Windows only has the user base and available software. But when focusing solely on the OS and it's features, it's waaay behind.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
apples are better my macbook is so much easier to use than a pc, one handed scrolling, and it never gets viruses. been using it like two years not one virus one time. i'll take my chances with steve jobs before i will with bill gates...

I have one handed scrolling with my PC too, one finger scrolling in fact. Just roll the mouse wheel and the internet browser page scrolls, folder views scroll etc. Plus I've not had a virus on my own PC in nearly four years now.

Originall posted by franspeakfree
But surely if you don't have anything to hide, all this traitorware will not effect you? if its legal to 'jailbreak' the phone what use is all this software? surely it will just be another ocmpany collecting data on the indivisuals. I mean its not as if there aren't thousands of people doing it? I just don't see what the big problem is?

I think the main thing I'd be upset about if it were being used on my phone, or a phone one of my children had, is if I (or my child) were half or fully undressed when it took a photograph of me. Where and who would these photographs be going to?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

On the contrary I mean we should find viable alternatives, or at the lest challenge these company's, we need to do more than just write about these problems although thats a good start. If all we do is talk about but actually do nothing about the problem then we are as much apart of the problem as if we were designing these malicious programs ourselves. The problem isn't the tool it's the (in this case) maker.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Traitorware Software is really sensitive. Apple basically Create this software to prevent hackers.

Jamaica Phone Cards

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Just out of curiousity, how is this legal?

After I buy an apple product it belongs to me, not Apple.

If I wish to void my warramty and investigate MY property, I will do so as I please.

There is absolutely no laws being broken by me modifing MY property.

So once again, how is this legal?

edit on 27-9-2010 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join