It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple 'traitorware' can take your photo and shut down your jailbroken iPhone, iPad

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Uh oh, I think we have a case of iPhone envy. Dude, iPhones are so popular because they're effing AWESOME. A phone is the least of what it is.

You should get one.

Today.

typos again. cripes.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by AwakeinNM]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
My Ipod is jail broken and all it does is basically make it open source, so if I want a new theme, game or whatever then I can get one made by other users or developers instead of having to go through Apple. It doesn't prevent me from using Apple's services though, you can't get all the cool apps that Apple offers from third party, so on occasion I buy a $1 or $2 app from the App Store.

If I couldn't jailbreak my Ipod then I wouldn't own it, simple as that. Apple needs to get a clue, this kind of behavior is BS and the reason I would never own a Mac or Iphone and as soon as Microsoft or whoever comes out with a device that is the Ipod equivalent to the Droid then that will be the last Apple product I ever own.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by StarFox]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Iphones were effing awesome, the market has changed. You can get all the awesomeness that Iphone offers in quite a few other phones now, like the Droid X or Nexus, they have even exceeded teh Awesomeness of the iPhone in terms of functionality, speed and Apps. Add to that that they are open source just makes Iphones an insult to the consumer.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
How does the iPhone take a picture of you when you're not looking? Does it grow legs, get up, and walk over to you when you're sleeping to take a photo?

THINK about that first. It's not entirely possible....at all actually.

Oh, unless it's the new iPhone. Then yeah, I guess it's possible.

At least mine only has the lens on the back of the phone. MWAHAAH.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by SeventhSeal]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Apple have been faily notorious over the years for releasing software patches that "fix" things like people "jailbreaking" their devices and software.

I wouldn't have expected anything less from Apple.

It's one of the reasons I laugh at everyone I know who says "look at my wonderful jailbroken iPhone" - I know that sooner or later Apple will be clamping down on this, regardless of what the courts say.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

My bad I made an assumption,
You did say that if you were Apple you would have done the same, and you don’t think people should be able to use their own property as they want to eg. Jaibreak.
You also ask, Paranoid much, Ummm brother that is why this website thrives is we all have suspicions and paranoia, we come here to compare and contrast ideas.
We are talking about spyware aren’t we?
Now as for Apple helping the economy, certainly not the American economy.
They close down factories and outsource work nowadays.
The only good big ideas Apple has had was Itunes, that flopped big.
Ipod which now seems to work fine Battery probs early on.
And the Iphone …. We are still finding it’s flaws.
Now with spyware I would hate to be talking to a buddy about an idiot we both know and wish he would get hit by a bus only to have the police on my doorstep the next day exclaiming he died in an accident and I was the last known person who wanted him dead, as told here in our recording of your conversation yesterday.

reply to post by MrSmith

I would cheer on this fool as I would be happy that he did not spend darn near $1000 for a….phone.
Did you really spend $800. on a phone?

reply to post by coop039

Numbers game indeed.
I will not quote big numbers as I know of none factually.
I do know however, Windows get viruses, Mac gets viruses but who writes a virus for open source?
I have no number to give you but if I were to write a virus, I would not want to enrage the hacker community. I think this is why viruses on open source is pretty much a non issue.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Even with all of Apple's resources, do you believe their Kung Fu is stronger than the open source community?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Uh oh, I think we have a case of iPhone envy. Dude, iPhones are so popular because they're effing AWESOME. A phone is the least of what it is.

You should get one.

Today.

typos again. cripes.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by AwakeinNM]

When I got my iPhone, I didn't really like it. But now, I'm in love. The GPS is great, I can use it as an iPod, it takes FANTASTIC photos, and beyond.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
What I don't understand is why people buy apple, its far too overpriced, their PC's use bog standard Intel core chips, standard ram and probably a re-badged board with Intel chipset, yet you pay 50% more for it with the apple logo! why?? build a Intel PC and run OS X on it, it can be done (Google hackintosh).

Why buy an iPhone? OK you cant run apple software on other phones like you can PC's, but there are much better offerings out there from Nokia, SE and others.

As for the i-pad, dell have a competitor for it, as do others, and they are probably a lot more configurable than the i-pad, besides, i-pad?? Sounds like a technological answer for women's monthly crisis's!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
And that's why I'm getting a Nokia N8. iPhones are for spoiled yuppies and teenagers anyways.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The point that's trying to be made is simply that what Apple is doing is not right. They're basically saying "you can't do this, but we can".

This is not apple vs. the rest of the technological world. Start a thread on that and any REAL computer user knows that apple is NOT the be-all end-all of amazing computing. I can name your several OS's that are more suitable for open source development...I digress...

The major issue here, is that Apple has the capability to do this to you. Take your photo, shut down your device, read your messages, render your device inoperable, read body heat temperatures, etc.

Oh, you didn't jailbreak your phone so you think your not susceptible to this? Is the nativity pouring out of you? People, this is America. The gov't is run by corporations JUST LIKE APPLE and if they want your information or whatever else is one your phone, chances are, they'll get it.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Wow... this thread is a new low. Deny ignorance? People like g146541 are EMBRACING it.

All this second hand info I personally know to be totally false. And then all the closed-mindedness from people that have never truly used a modern Apple product. Makes me sick.

Mac's chrashing? No they don't. With my experience (12 years PC/Win, 4 OSX) and my personal habits I know OSX crashes so much less frequently than XP. So, g146541, either you lie or your wife lies. In any case you're spreading misinfo and there simply is no case where a Mac would crash more than a Windows machine. And Mac's in general don't crash without user errors.

iTunes a flop? A FLOP? An Apple style solution to marry software with hardware that changed the whole business in more than one aspect. And singlehandedly moved (some) power from labels to artists. Not to mention mobile app sales! There's NOTHING like App Store. Nokia is drooling at the thought of those sales figures. Oh yeah... not to mention it's one of the most powerful music library management software available. You call it a flop?

Also, iPhone bashing is sooo trendy. Uninformed posters bash iPhone because... too many people use it? People they don't like use it? I can't fathom the reasons. Yet it ALSO changed the business. Look at all the modern smartphone platforms. All iPhone OS lookalikes. For a reason. Apple developed the greatest OS and put on in a hardware that perfectly suited it. Because that's their core competence. That's why people LOVE Apple. They start product design with the end user in mind and it shows where it truly matters.

Nokias and Microsofts of the world historically have created products with technical details and specs in mind and have been satisfied with a nice list of features they've been able to jam pack in a single product. That's why Apple doesn't always make sense when you compare to something we're previously used to. They initially omit features they could well include because they're not satisfied with the current solutions. We might at times get limited features but the features included are not compromised. This is KEY for usability. And that really is the difference. And nothing else truly matters.

That's reflected in the share price too. So people agree. Even competitors agree and copy Apples OS solutions. Windows7 is like OSX, smartphone OS's owe a lot to iPhone. And before anyone replies with "Apple doesn't even develop all their stuff themselves" I'll say that it doesn't matter. They're the ones putting out user friendly gadgets that really work and change how we do things. It doesn't matter who's R&D went into the ideas. Apple made it happen. Without Apple we wouldn't even be discussing which smartphone OS is best. We'd be stuck with Windows ME or some Symbian crap.

And I don't like some of the corporate decisions & policies Apple is doing either, but they get my money for putting out the very best products in their field! Call me brainwashed. I did it mostly over some 12 years by using Windows. And I still run XP from time to time. On my Macbook. The contrast is huge. But some software requires to boot up Windows so I can't really choose.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I read a completely different article which looked at it from a different slant in that the patent was their to stop un-uathorised users - eg someone who has stolen your phone.....

Now that I like - a lot. And as with any of this tech it can be used for other purposes but then the same can be done with android, windows mobile etc. etc. blah blah blah.

You might as well stop using your computer because everything you do is monitored... then you might as well stay in-doors and not drive your car so the CCTV cant snap pictures of you....

If you dont like the future tech done use it - simple (and remember any 'smart phone' is the same.... I laugh out loud when people think if they get android they are safe because it's open-source....

It was reported recently that private data of about 4 million people stored in smartphones powered by Google’s Android platform had been stolen and transmitted to an unencrypted server hosted in China.

SK Telecom, the country’s No. 1 wireless carrier, cautioned users against a wallpaper application software which was used to penetrate the Android-based smartphones.

Google has suspended the programme’s distribution pending an investigation, but only after 4.6 million downloads were made.

Experts say Android-operated phones are considered more vulnerable than Apple’s because their source codes are open to device makers and programme developers and their applications are downloadable on Internet sites other than the Android marketplaces.

And finally, lest we forget this:
Android privacy nightmare

Any smartphone is bad because you are plugged into the system ....

Personally, I love em.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
But why on earth would anyone buy a (overpriced) product like that
.. Something you have to "hack" before you can use it like all the competing products...

Seriously, I don't want to sound like a dick, but apple users are so goddamn brainwashed it's unbef***inglievable

It's things like these, that make me think we won't make it too far as a species..
People waiting like mindless zombies in long lines for a new "magical product" that some guy in a black turtleneck told them they should get...

It's pointless to blame Apple for anything.. They know how to control masses, just like all the successful big companies do...

If you really are stupid enough to pay hundreds of dollars for a crippled overpriced gadget, that you only use to update your various internet profiles and provide accurate tracking information for a company that will sell it to the highest bidder & gov. agencies, I say you SHOULD be ripped off in every possible way..

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
how does software prevent jailbreaking? If im jailbreaking my phone, I'm going to remove that software....or send fake packets back to apple... or something to get around it, its pointless.

now for the average uses who doesn't hack, its scary if apple can do all that.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Google is pretty much big brother in physical form. The android is probably chalk full of spy software... stuff like echelon. They are just more secretive about it.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynxlynx
But why on earth would anyone buy a (overpriced) product like that
.. Something you have to "hack" before you can use it like all the competing products...

Seriously, I don't want to sound like a dick, but apple users are so goddamn brainwashed it's unbef***inglievable

It's things like these, that make me think we won't make it too far as a species..
People waiting like mindless zombies in long lines for a new "magical product" that some guy in a black turtleneck told them they should get...

It's pointless to blame Apple for anything.. They know how to control masses, just like all the successful big companies do...

If you really are stupid enough to pay hundreds of dollars for a crippled overpriced gadget, that you only use to update your various internet profiles and provide accurate tracking information for a company that will sell it to the highest bidder & gov. agencies, I say you SHOULD be ripped off in every possible way..

So you've never used an Apple product. I understand. It just makes you look stupid to bash things you have little knowledge of.

My own viewpoint is that before Apple I've paid half for something that half works (exaggeration). And half working is same as not working. So I'm happy to pay full to get fully working instead of paying half to get a piece of crap. Value is greater with Apple and it's mostly due to their proprietary business approach. They usually control 100% of what the user gets so the user won't screw up his own experience accidentally.

The only people bashing Apple are those who've never used one. And because user experience cannot be expressed in words or spec sheets, they will never understand. Just because you don't hear the music doesn't mean those dancing are crazy.

And how much cheaper are perfectly comparable products anyway?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

i beleive (without proof) that onboard cameras and microphones can be remotly turned on in phones ipad/laptop and some of the computers that have external camers

if you are a person of interest the camera can be remotly switched on to record who did what when and who your with

in my country a percentage of the bandwidth is unavaliable to the user this bandwidth is for unknow purposes but would allow for real time monitering of conversations and with facial recog and voice recog happening in half a second you and your friends are recorded and filed (unless you say cetain words)

when you look into satalite tv you find a bi directional means of data transmittion and reception if you think about how much band width it uses and how much is avaliable

is your set top box capable of recording you (in sound) and transmite that with your favourite programs to a server for analisys

is our technology a double use sword?

iv got my camera covered and mic removed from my lappy
lol no im not a criminal just protecting my privacy

xploder

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm sure glad I don't use any of Apple's products....sounds like their customers are getting "Jobbed"....pun intended!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Apple has it's own place in several markets. They create their niche and run with it. Yes, Apple allows for a lot of creative design and sound engineering and whatnot, but yes, their products are extremely overpriced and pieced together just like many other phones/computers/etc.

I for one own both types of products. I have an ipad and an HP notebook, and they both serve their own purpose in my life. Could I live without either? Easily. Do I prefer Apple as far as my media and creative? Yes. Would I use a macbook over my hp notebook? No.

People who understand computers also understand that these machines are what we make them. You get virus' because you don't take the necessary precautions and do things with them you shouldn't on your x86/windows based machine. I've NEVER owned a macbook or anything like it and have also never had a machine crash on me. Why? Because I ensure it's safe, secure and loaded with the right stuff in order to keep it that way.

There ARE tons of apple-kool-aid drinkers who want the iphone because "it's the iphone, duh". This, however, does not mean that the product is a toy or a fad. In fact, over half of iphone users fall into the 25-54 yr old range.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join