It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple 'traitorware' can take your photo and shut down your jailbroken iPhone, iPad

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The reason some people THINK macs don't get trojans etc. is because Apple tends to keep those things quiet.

Couple weeks ago:
Apple-Quietly-Goes-After-Mac-Trojan-Wit h-Update

There have been numerous trojans for mac over the years as any search-engine will tell you.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

They'll just market profile you by reading ur messages,looking at ur pics to see what kind of clothes ur into etc, then eventually the ads on ur iphone will be directed at you personally... and if u ever stop playing by the rules thell psyc profile you and pinpoint ur position

[edit on 26-8-2010 by spungy]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Yeah, it's all how you use your computer too. I haven't had a virus or trojan for several years on any of my PC's. If more people used Mac, rest assured.. There would be a lot more trojans on Apple products.

Its like giving two people a screwdriver and saying one is better, because one of the people jammed the screwdriver into their eye, and the other used it to put together a bed. If you know what you are doing, it isn't a problem-(most of the time). That goes either way.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
So maybe i should stop using my iphone to check this site out??

Steve can look at me threw my iphone all he likes, I'm not going to guarantee he'll like what he sees though....maybe I’ll set my phone so the camera always looks mat some ugly picture when I’m home, he can check out some random’s naked butt all his heart desires then.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sn00daard

The only difference I see is that Mac has very few virus's and they are usually taken care of. Where as a PC it is just much more likely to happen and Microsoft doesn't usually patch them you either clean it up or hire someone to do it for you.

As a user of both a Mac and pc there are clear ups and downs to both but as was said before, in the right hands any tool can be the best tool.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by InfaRedMan

even with all of that power macs crash more than Lindsey Lohan on a saturday night binge.

The only people that say that are people who obviously don't use Macs.

I've used a Macintosh most of my professional life and if you're having problems with it crashing, there's definitely a problem. Probably more so on the user end than on the hardware end.

Having said all that ... I have yet to need an iPhone, iPad or even an iPod. When I see the need to be able to access the internet to look up Carson Daily's blog while I'm on-the-go then maybe I'll buy one. Thankfully, I don't ever see that happening.

As for Apple's spyware patent ... is it really any surprise? Most apple users who keep up on technology saw this coming when the iPod Touch was released. Which is why I've kept away from any sort of iPortable devices.

That's not to say that anyone couldn't use any other portable devices to do exactly the same thing. It's just that no one has tried to patent the method yet. Most cell phones made these days have cameras and GPS already equipped. The technology is already there. It's going to become the norm in the future. The only way to avoid it is to stay away from Satellite-based technology.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Thanks for this. I don't use jailbreak, so i may not be a target, but feel this is an intolerable invasion of privacy (no wonder all their displays now come with built in camera).

This is the first time i've found myself seriously considering kicking my 10 year Apple obsession and moving to Microsoft, Dell, Nvidia etc, and the rest of the frankly superior and certainly cheaper alternatives i've so far been successfully brain-washed to ignore.

I declare the day after Apple's psycho-monopoly dawning, as they switch onto a downhill track with an abrupt end just beyond the horizon

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Guys...

This isn't a thread about the merits of MAC vs PC, nor is it about malware. Can we please keep it on topic.

The Topic Is:
Apple 'traitorware' can take your photo and shut down your jailbroken iPhone, iPad

IRM

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Interesting....

Unlike previous jailbreaks, which required the iPhone to be connected to a computer to run the software update, the latest jailbreak, posted by the iPhone Dev Team at Jailbreakme.com, is accomplished via the Safari browser loaded on the device.

But the fact that it can be performed just through Safari, and the way it's done, points to a larger problem, as several CNET readers and listeners wrote to us to point out Tuesday. It means potentially anyone could control your iPhone (or iPod Touch or iPad) just by visiting a certain Web page. A site can present the exploit as a simple PDF link, which requires no explicit user action short of clicking a link. It can then launch an exploit that takes advantage of the way the PDF viewer loads fonts.

The end result is that the program can then have unrestricted access to your iPhone or iPad or iPod Touch on virtually all versions of iPhone firmware, short of the iOS 4.1 beta, currently in the hands of developers for testing.

Source

So Apple don't want anyone else hacking you, but on the other hand, their traitorware patent suggests they feel it's OK for them to do so.

IRM

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm glad my cellphone is like...eight years old.

Technology my ass.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SciChosis

Sorry as for the most of my statements are second hand from trusted friends, one of which is my wife as I have said i will not use Mac, the underwear comment and all.
My wife is a Special Ed teacher and they get new macs every year and that is her biggest complaint that they always crash, I wouldn't know as I run XP, 7, and Ubuntu, it just depends on what I'm doing.
God I miss Win98.
As for the processors, same I won't open a piece of that mac filth so I really dunno.
However I had 2 neighbors years back that were geeks of the highest rank I don't know what they did with Apple but they both worked at the Elk Grove plant and of course this was a few years back so my information is old but they claimed they had the purest fastest running chip hands down and that is a big claim.
Anyway so like I said my info on part is old but it seems "Fruit on the box" does still crash.
I wonder if the Marines still use Mac?
Hmmm what a weird thought.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
really!?!!? who the f cares.... If I were apple I would do the exact same

Being contracted with AT&T you shouldn't be able to jailbreak your phone anyways. Apple is probably one of the best corporations in the world today, so quit your fussing...

Paranoid much people?

[edit on 26-8-2010 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

You sound about as bitter about the other platforms as I am about Mac.
I will tell you why, some of us like variety or choice it is simple as that.
And as I am not a musician....well not one that anyone would credit as being a musician I guess it is ok as that is all that Mac can do without going crash boom bang.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

As bitter about the other platforms....???
I prefer them! in fact I have an HP and would prefer to own a PC because that is what I am used to.

It just gets old when people go paranoid off the charts because one of the larger companies in the world, uses its consumer data for its own profitable benefit. Since when was this bad????

Everybody should be happy that apple is such a successful company with the economy as messed up as it is today. Its companies like this are helping to pull us out of the recession

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

My worry isn't that Apple will use it to harm innocent people. The problem lies in the fact that it has been announced that this technology exists already. Just like anything else dealing with computers, programming, and electronic information.. It will be hacked. People will find ways to utilize this technology for themselves. If you have an apple product, does it not bother you that if someone else breached Apple's security, and said someone was able to take pictures/video/record voice and sound directly from your device, and some very personal information could be had? How about when you're sharing an intimate moment with your significant other, and someone decides to snap a few pictures because you coincidentally left your phone at the proper angle? Should that be something you even have to worry about? Working in the Computer Industry has taught me a lot about exploitation of technology.. And I am willing to guarantee that this announcement by Apple has left quite a few mouths foaming.. It doesn't matter how secure Apple says this tool is.. It isn't. There is always someone out there one step a..

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Guys...

This isn't a thread about the merits of MAC vs PC, nor is it about malware. Can we please keep it on topic.

The Topic Is:

IRM

Your description after the article wasn't very neutral and people such as myself feel like we must correct the wrong. I have an iPhone 4 and its not because I want to show it to my friends, I bought it because its the most powerful smartphone on the market and is a great tool for graphic designers. For example, I have an app that you take a picture of something and it finds the closest pantone color to that picture.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I approve of this.

I lost an Iphone last year and someone out there is walking around with it, jailbroken, and happy they didnt have to spend 800$.

I would love it for Apple to go into that phone and kill it so the looser who didnt return it to me cant use it.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
apples are better my macbook is so much easier to use than a pc, one handed scrolling, and it never gets viruses. been using it like two years not one virus one time. i'll take my chances with steve jobs before i will with bill gates...

Its a numbers game. The sheer number of PC's in use compared to macs is staggering. World wide PC's are something like 98% of the market. If your writing malicious software you write to cover the majority of users, so PC users.

There are mac viruses out there, just not as many. Again, numbers game.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Let people buy it - if they want it, they get exactly what they want. Freedom. In time - things will harmonize. If let free.

Zhuangzi said the world "does not need governing; in fact it should not be governed," and, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone."

en.wikipedia.org...
fendersen.com...

[edit on 26-8-2010 by pai mei]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Lets stay on topic folks.. I know its hard to resist the "I'm a PC", "Apple is God" game of tug of war. If you wanna talk about both, lets hear what you think about these other companies like Google. Is this something you feel they'd do? Is it something you feel like they're already doing without you knowing?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join