It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple 'traitorware' can take your photo and shut down your jailbroken iPhone, iPad

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Segador

The word appears to have appeared in only the last few days.

Other examples of what I'd call traitorware would be Sony's old rootkit installer which came with music CDs and EA Games ludicrous anti-piracy methods which take over your computer system with SecuROM (Also a Sony invention).

I'm sure there are many more too.

As for the phone being able to listen to what the microphone picks up...all phones have that potential.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Of course Apple does have a "Powerful" processor much more so than AMD or Intel but even with all of that power macs crash more than Lindsey Lohan on a saturday night binge.

What on earth are you gibbering about? Macs use intel processors now and have done for ages, and mine hasn't crashed in the year or so I've owned it, despite rather consistent use

And it's the ONLY way to record music, seriously, trying to make music on windows is a friggin joke, hence why you'll not find a pc in any studios

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SciChosis

And it's the ONLY way to record music, seriously, trying to make music on windows is a friggin joke, hence why you'll not find a pc in any studios

Off topic but I'll take you to task on your bias. I am and have been an electronic musician since the 80's. I have many friends in the industry and not one of them uses a MAC.

It has NOTHING to do with the operating system in regards to sound quality or even ease of recording. Those aspects rely solely on the quality of your input sources, sound card, drivers and software. You have unquestioningly drunk the MAC Kool-Aid man.

IRM

[edit on 26/8/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by SciChosis

Off topic but I'll take you to task on your bias. I am and have been an electronic musician since the 80's. I have many friends in the industry and not one of them uses a MAC.

It has NOTHING to do with the operating system in regards to sound quality or even ease of recording. Those aspects rely solely on the quality of your input sources, sound card, drivers and software. You have unquestioningly drunk the MAC Kool-Aid man.

IRM

[edit on 26/8/10 by InfaRedMan]

I hate these threads, really.. I use both platforms, and I have to admit, I prefer OSX to Windows 7 but that's personal preference, not because as you put it, "I drank the koolaid" (personally I'd love to have seen commodore survive and the Amiga still in mass production but I digress) I do 3d Graphics, and with the exception of Newtek, I have yet to see a major difference in the crash rate (Lightwave hates me on either platform)

These debates will rage on for years and years and years, but I prefer, personal preference, working on my Macbook, rather than my PC Desktop, maybe it's because well, i just do..

I love Apple products, I hate their anti-consumer attitude, which is why I will never buy an iPhone, I do have an iPad, but i got that as a gift, I wouldn't have paid for one. I will say however, that every 3d artist I know (and I know quite a few of them) has at least one Mac in the mix if not more, for the simple sheer processing power that the Darwin core gives them, of course if Newtek follows through and makes a linux version of Lightwave I can go to that, but for now, I'd rather have an OS and programming that won't chew up everything in the process of a render.

Not to say I don't use Windows, I do...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08

These debates will rage on for years and years and years, but I prefer, personal preference, working on my Macbook, rather than my PC Desktop, maybe it's because well, i just do..

Exactly! That's what I am saying. It has nothing to do with the operating system. To suggest otherwise is puerile. It's solely about the preference of the individual and nothing else. Also, I never suggested you were drinking MAC kool-aid. It was directed at an entirely different member who's opinions are drawn on bias.

Anyhow, as I said, this is off topic and irrelevant to MAC and Traitorware which is the focus of this discussion.

IRM

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pajjikor
I heard that they might would be coming out with this and I disagree.

If you are going to by something you should be able to do what you want with it. Only way this would be ok is if they made everyone sign and agreement paper with thier products.

Excuse me, but have you read any of the material, printed and digital, that comes with you machines and software? You agree to all of that stuff when you load or use those products.

This common attack against the public got its start when absolutely nothing was done by anybody, government or individuals groups, as computer manufacturers and software makers started installing these sneaky intel-gathering aspects into our lives. Now, it is too late. We meekly accept what they offer. (Part of the sheeple complex, I suppose.)There is no going back. Businesses and governments gain control over our lives; we become more enslaved

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
All these "i" things are overpriced and crap anyway, I don´t know why anyone buys them.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I don't really see what the problem is? this is only going to happen if you 'jailbreak' the device. People whoi don't jailbreak will have nothing to worry about. Surely its a choice?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Well well, seems Steve jobs is rockin a pretty major big brother fantasy there...

I've noticed though, that everyone seems to be touting the open source android phones as the "answer" to this but isn't that sorta 6 of 1 - 1/2 dozen of the other considering Eric Schmidt's recent comments on the "dangers of anonymity"?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

This is one of the reasons why I switched from my iPhone 3G to a Nexus One (Android device). Apple is almost insane about their closed ecosystem, and hell, at the time, I couldn't even CHANGE MY WALLPAPER. It's too bad the Nexus never got as much pub as the iPhone as I think it is far superior to the 3G and 3GS and almost on-par with iPhone 4. I think this whole iPhone 4 thing is going to spell the end of crApple's dominance on the mobile market, however.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This whole thing reminds me way too much of George Orwell's 1984.. The scary part isn't necessarily that Apple is doing it, it is slightly disturbing to know that this technology has most likely been utilized already and we were just oblivious to it.

There is something haunting about the Apple logo.. Not that I'm really a Christian, or a part of any designated religion.. But an Apple? With a bite from it? The forbidden fruit? Lets be honest here, Apple's marketing team could sell a bag of fecal matter to an alarming amount of people if they put an Apple logo on it and made the bag a neutral color. Apple products are definitely the "trendy" things to have in a lot of circles and if I've learned anything in my field of work (IT/programming) it's that there really is nothing special about Apple. Their products can't do anything more than what another Unix based platform could if given the time.. And they charge you an arm and a leg for it. (another marketing ploy, people automatically assume something is better when it costs more.. Quality isn't always reflected in the price, even though Apple does make some solid devices) What better way to get a nefarious tool out there? Tempt the sheeple with status. "You want this because it'll make you look cooler." Then once they take a bite, they're plugged into the Matrix and there is no escape.

As I stated before, this tech has probably been used on us for quite some time without us even knowing, but the fact that they can be so blatantly obvious about it and most people wont give a flying (you know), is what scares me. Of course the people on ATS aren't going to like it, but how much of a voice do we REALLY have on the larger scale.

Note: I own a Macbook Pro, I do like it, but I'm far from a fanboy. I also own 3 other computers, which happen to be PC's. I'm not an Apple hater.. Apple just doesn't care about you as much as you think.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
I don't really see what the problem is? this is only going to happen if you 'jailbreak' the device. People whoi don't jailbreak will have nothing to worry about. Surely its a choice?

It was ruled in a court of law that Jailbreaking wasn't illegal. If it voids your warranty then all good and fine, it's like modifying a Playstation or XBox but to spy on you including collecting private data is constitutionally illegal for a corporation. Also, the act of locking you out of your own property brings up issues of ownership as well. Once you buy something, it's your property to do with as you will. In any case, I wouldn't be so trusting of them as you appear to be FSF.

Another worrying factor is that there will be rogues/hackers out there trying to do just this as well. Not only spying and stealing personal data, but also locking people out of their iPhones & iPads just for fun.

IRM

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I love my phone, it's around 4 years old, sends texts, makes calls and that's about it. No touch screen, no full colour, no video, nothing.

The iPhone could have been so much more, but Apple decided to lock it up so they make more profit, and now because Apple is so trendy consumers won't use their brains and turn away to the alternative devices out there. Even if someone develops a better phone they are unlikely to break the stranglehold Apple has on people. Along with that Apple seem intent on collecting as much data as they possibly can on it's customers so that they can target even more rubbish at them.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Not only that but with the gps chips they know where you are all the time.. Iv heard of people seeing huge uploads of upto 75mb every night in the middle of the night.. at&t say its part of their billing process.. id say you wounld want to of made a lot of calls for it to be a 100mb upload..

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
apples are better my macbook is so much easier to use than a pc, one handed scrolling, and it never gets viruses. been using it like two years not one virus one time. i'll take my chances with steve jobs before i will with bill gates...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I have a question - how will this affect previous Apple products? For example I have a Macbook Pro, and every now and then there are software updates for pretty much everything from mundane applications to core operational data. I don't know enough about the whole affair, hence my question =)

Or, does anybody know of any previous attempts, successful or not, to get spyware installed in Macintosh/Apple products? I vaguely recall hearing of certain built-in systems that keeps logs for law enforcement purposes, though I forget the details.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
It was ruled in a court of law that Jailbreaking wasn't illegal. If it voids your warranty then all good and fine, it's like modifying a Playstation or XBox but to spy on you including collecting private data is constitutionally illegal for a corporation. Also, the act of locking you out of your own property brings up issues of ownership as well. Once you buy something, it's your property to do with as you will. In any case, I wouldn't be so trusting of them as you appear to be FSF.

Another worrying factor is that there will be rogues/hackers out there trying to do just this as well. Not only spying and stealing personal data, but also locking people out of their iPhones & iPads just for fun.
IRM

But surely if you don't have anything to hide, all this traitorware will not effect you? if its legal to 'jailbreak' the phone what use is all this software? surely it will just be another ocmpany collecting data on the indivisuals. I mean its not as if there aren't thousands of people doing it? I just don't see what the big problem is?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Yeah thousands of companys doing it.. thats the problem

I dont care very much for the second line

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Wow. I'm a HUGE Apple fan, even have an Apple tattoo..Yes a real one for those who are questioning it. I love it...Anyway, this is insane. I have a jailbroken iPhone. I have had ATT since they started the iPhone and the only reason I switched from Verizon to ATT was for the iPhone. I don't like cell phone contracts I think they are silly. I pay less than a person with a contract and I have unlimited use through their prepaid options. The only way to use the iPhone on prepaid is to jailbreak it. I like this phone and use the features in both the jailbroken apps and the Apple apps. I don't know why Apple has to be so damn snobby over this and that is how I see it.

I am all about Apple, even convinced friends to switch but they already make so much money off of these phones why keep those of us like myself from being loyal customers. I know many people that jailbroke their iphones to be able to use them on either prepaid ATT or on T-Mobile. IMO this is advertisement for Apple as well as sales. When you don't have a contract you pay twice as much for the phone SO these non-contract people who have jailbroken iPhones are paying full price for these phones in most cases. You would think Apple would be happy. I can think of at least 5 people who jailbroke this phone to use on other networks and paid $500-600 for the phone because they didn't want to cancel their contracts. So Apple and the cell company they use benefit. All this competition with cell phone companies and smart phones is getting ridiculous. It only hurts the consumers who are PAYING for these services. Everyone benefits so what is the problem?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
they should release something to wikileaks ... what the heck will they do with that data?

you will probably go to some list, maybe they will sell people to other organizations ... who knows

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join