It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super aggressive new mosquito in SE USA

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
As Im reading your post, Im scratching the 13 mosquito bites I have on me from 2 days ago. WTF! I hate MOSQUITOS... Why do they always attack me? Any suggestions? I just bought a house on 1.5 acres in San Diego county and its country living. Horses everywhere. I think I will get that Propane Mosquito trap someone mentioned a few posts up...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
"I use dried catnip and rosemary simmered in oil and steeped for about 24 hours. I strain out the herb and add a little melted beeswax to the oil extract while it's warm."

Thanks I'll give this a try. Anything to keep the buggers away.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I have in-laws in Alaska, inside the Arctic Circle and they laugh at these and say they are nothing. Supposedly they have mosquitoes up there that can bite through a coat!! They have to be brutal to survive in that climate, and I didn't even know that mosquitoes could survive in the cold, but apparently our little Tiger Mosquitoes are not the baddest on the block?!?

I am in the middle of Canada, and as soon as the snow starts to melt, it releases mosquitoes. They start flying around biting when it's still very cold, and still tons of snow on the ground. They survive in sub zero temperatures.

Next year I am going to find out how to spray large areas even if I have to hire a crop duster to do it!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Great,.. I love the little ba$terds,.
the fact that I have to invest in netting for my entire patio next year really saddens me,. it really is a bummer, I will miss the continuous swatting and inability to sit comfortably in my back yard

I have been to the Alaskan tundra up by the Prudhoe bay area in summer,.
and yeah those "suckers" are relentless,.
the Caribou don't even sit still for very long.
I will be watching for this little guy

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Does anyone remember in the mid 1950's how the US and Canadian government had infected millions of mosquitoes with weaponized Brucellosis and caused a huge amount of illness in Florida. It was a test to see how effective mosquitoes were as vectors for Bio warfare. That just freaks me out especially with the 13 mosquito bites im scratching on me now...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This year I've been getting lit up by mosquitos that leave welts! When I go out harvesting from my okra forest, which I go trade in a couple blocks away at the latino market, I've been getting torn up out there. Last year I didn't have an okra 'jungle' (as one friend called it), but I spent more time out there not doing the massive research and publishing I've been back to this year, yet hardly ever felt a bite.

It's common to find welts that are oblong shaped and slightly over half an inch across on the long measurements, that really itch. I've always been resistant to itching mosquito bites, and have never had welts like this in my life. The welts appear within minutes, but for me at least they're gone within half an hour ad I forget all about it.

PS: I have noted some of them having the white 'knuckles' all over they're bodies, but didn't look close enough to see if they're so dark black. Haven't really been looking too close other than to kill them if I've had the chance. I've adjusted my strategies to not get bit as much. The odd thing is even days I try to keep an eye out I end up with more welts than I ever saw of the mosquitos.

Stealth mosquito crazyness.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Alchemst7

I didn't know about that, so I googled it, and this nasty little article popped up. Part way down the page, in comment 3, the story is told.

cryptogon.com...

The pathogenic Mycoplasma used to be very innocuous, but biological warfare research conducted between 1942 and the present time has resulted in the creation of more deadly and infectious forms of Mycoplasma.

Researchers extracted this mycoplasma from the Brucella bacterium and actually reduced the disease to a crystalline form. They “weaponized” it and tested it on an unsuspecting public in North America.

From 1942 to the present time

Further down:

The mosquitoes were then let loose in certain communities in the middle of the night, so that the researchers could determine how many people would become ill with chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia, which was the first disease to show.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Huge, aggressive mosquito may be abundant in Florida this summer, UF/IFAS expert warns

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — If mosquitoes were motorcycles, the species known as Psorophora ciliata would be a Harley-Davidson — big, bold, American-made and likely to be abundant in Florida this summer.

news.ufl.edu...

Just an update to a growing problem. This past summer of 2012 was the worst I have ever seen.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
We've got a name for them here in South Western Australia (Mandurah)

.. farkenmozeez

I kid you not, you walk out side to hang the washing out in the middle of the day within minutes there's so many attacking you they almost pick you up and fly you away.

Ross River down here's at epic proportions. (5x the normal rate)

au.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
These suckers ate me up last year. I had seen them in just the passed 2-3 years before but last year they were out in full force.

These don't act like normal mosquito's either, they are out in the middle of the day South GA heat. Usually the mosquito's aren't very bad until dusk but these guys are out all day. Bug repellent works but you better get every square inch and they can bite through thin cloth.

Like I say, they ate me up last summer almost every day but they never made me sick. I was joking about not catching West Nile virus, just saying if it were around or that bad I would have known it.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The ones here in TN were the black and white stripped ones. Those are the ones I thought carried all the diseases?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join