It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospital Security Gone crazy..you decide...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Joseph Wheeler of Upper Marlboro MD, was in an automobile accident on June, 23. He woke up at Prince George's Hospital the following day. Upon asking for something to eat he was told by a nurse that he could not have anything as he was going to surgery. Surgery for a cancerous mass in his chest. Wheeler looked at his hospital bracelet and found it contained someone else's name. After talking to his wife, the Wheelers decided to leave the hospital for his safety. When they were told by a nurse that they could not leave, the couple prepared to leave anyway, as they were determined to exit a bad situation. The nurse called security, and two large, unpleasant men showed up. The men also told Wheeler he could not leave and when Wheeler insisted it was his right to leave he was beaten and sworn at. Before the couple managed to escape the bizarre situation, Wheeler was offered a private room and pain meds 'of his choice' to stay by an administrator and when he turned it down, was threatened for refusing to give the inaccurate bracelet back. He was assaulted again for trying to leave with the bracelet on his wrist as well. The man subsequently spent 3 days at another hospital being treated for broken ribs, a ruptured spleen,a concussion, and a sprained shoulder. Of course there is a pending lawsuit, but can you really blame the Wheelers?

How's that for not wanting you to leave with proof they screwed up?

Lawsuit..hell yea I'd start a lawsuit...

the rest of the story is in next post...

source

[edit on 25-8-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

by an administrator and when he turned it down, was threatened for refusing to give the inaccurate bracelet back. He was assaulted again for trying to leave with the bracelet on his wrist as well. The man subsequently spent 3 days at another hospital being treated for broken ribs, a ruptured spleen,a concussion, and a sprained shoulder. Of course there is a pending lawsuit, but can you really blame the Wheelers?

[edit on 2010/8/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yeah, Right.
Obviously we're only getting THEIR side of the story.

WHY would you leave a Hospital when you've just been in an accident that knocked you out for 24 hours and when you're just about to head into surgery??? Instead of notifying the Hospital that the name on the bracelet is wrong he just.. leaves? Then he gets in an argument because he doesn't want to return the bracelet even though it isn't his?

I bet the injuries he has are from the car crash.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Are you really that daft?

How would this make the situation better?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

It actually happens a lot more than we hear about..

I believe it...just google it...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Too bad that poor man didn't have his gun.

He could have used it right about then.

Oh yeah that would have helped so much.

Baddmove you say it happens more than we hear about, do you care to show me some other links of this sort of thing? It must only happen in America.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Here is a recent mix up. I think there was even a thread on ATS about it.

www.cnn.com...

Officials with St. Joseph's Medical Center and the Arizona Department of Public Safety apologized for the mistake Monday, saying they were "acting on the best information" available at the time of notification.

When I was in the hospital after the birth of my twin boys, a nurse mixed up the roommates baby with one of mine.

When it was time for breast feeding, the hospital tried to hand me my roomies baby! She wasn't breast feeding her child!

They didn't believe me, and I had to insist they check the bracelet on the baby!

All I got was, oooooops!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Yes...I highly doubt hospital staff would allow the beating of a man that was just about to go into surgery...it makes no sense at all, even if he did have their stupid bracelet, that proves nothing...the couple is just trying to make some quick cash IMO by suing.

[edit on 25/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
While we seem to be only getting one side of the story, this story doesn't surprise me at all and I'm inclined to believe it. Why? Because this kind of thing happens. The doctor in charge didn't want to be sued, as it is often a career changer for an MD. Furthermore, we have been indoctrinated to believe that our rights are subservient to the safety of LEOs, thereby "moving" them to exercize their power over us. Finally, pain meds are always abused by doctors, nurses and other hospital staff. In fact, I would be surprised if they didn't offer pain meds as a bribe.

When I came back home from the army, I was a newly disabled soldier. I first spent about 6 months in the Army hospital, where the civilian nurses would steal my pain meds. When I finally complained to the officer in charge, she was removed (maybe fired) from my presence. I never saw her again.

When I finally left the army hospital for a civilian one (my choice), my pain meds were stolen all of the time. Some nurses would go to the length of giving me fake fluid in my IV, while others would just not come in at all but rather log that they did and then swear to it. When I complained, they would say that I was the one lying. A friend of mine had bought me a tape recorder and I taped the entire next two or three nights and had solid evidence of the nurses stealing my pain meds. When I took it up with the Hospital administration, I was told that this happens all of the time there and that the hospital usually sticks up for its nurses and the secretary told me not to hand over my evidence as the hospital will destroy it. She was warning me, as she has seen this scenario play out all of the time apparently.

All in all, every single hospital I went to, stole my pain medications with some far worse than others. The only place where it wasn't wildly out of hand, was at the Army Hospital where it was only one nurse.

What I had found, is that all nurses take up for each other, as if they are all in on it. It's the "white shield", I guess. Anyway, when I finally got home, I did some research and found that this is a huge problem and no hospital is immune. Apparently this happens all of the time at every hospital in America. This is a huge problem, much bigger than you would think.

Either we have a bunch of drug addicted nurses here in the US or they are all selling this stuff on the side. I'm inclined to believe it is a lot of both.

What really gets me, is many of these nurses would rather see people reeling in pain just to get their own jollies. These are the biggest monsters of all.

--airspoon

[edit on 25-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

here's one

here's another

and another

whole bunch here

and the list goes on and on..not as rare as you think...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I'm inclined to believe it. Why? Because this kind of thing happens.
Well, as one of the above poster says, it must only happen in America, because I seriously cannot imagine such a terrible thing taking place in any Australian hospital, doctors just have more respect than that, never would they allow the beating of an already sick/hurt man, it's like the opposite of what they have dedicated their lives to doing.

And all those examples you gave seemed like honest mix-ups, not an ordered beating of someone, people do make mistakes you know, no organization is perfect and errorless.

[edit on 25/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I am sure unfortunate things happen at hospitals (have seen it myself) but Weird Universe is just looking for some weird - I read the article with more than enough salt.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Please reread the post it said "Surgery for a cancerous mass in his chest."

They are saying this Dr. who had a ""automobile accident"" was about to have surgery he did not need because they messed up the name. So he wanted to leave the place because he felt it was safer.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

This is going to look like the same post but here ya go.

Please reread the post it said "Surgery for a cancerous mass in his chest."

They are saying this Dr. who had a ""automobile accident"" was about to have surgery he did not need because they messed up the name. So he wanted to leave the place because he felt it was safer.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
Well, as one of the above poster says, it must only happen in America, because I seriously cannot imagine such a terrible thing taking place in any Australian hospital, doctors just have more respect than that, never would they allow the beating of an already sick/hurt man, it's like the opposite of what they have dedicated their lives to doing.

Exactly.
Nursing is like a family trade for me and believe me there is no Hospital in Australia we're patients are being beaten up because they were given the wrong bracelet.

Also, the examples you posted badmove were mix-ups which happen in EVERY job. What I wanted examples of were incidents in hospitals were patients were beaten up because they tried leaving.

If anyone belives this story they are either very gullible or very paranoid.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

What a bummer, I was thinking of guards gone wild and was expecting to see topless security guards.

Oh and on the main topic, it is bad to argue with your doctor.
I guess what they have always said is true.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Here is another example for you. Please notice who the uncle of the victim is!

tammybruce.com... sed-beaten-by-hospital-guards.html

Derek Thomas, the nephew of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, says he was beaten and tased at a New Orleans area hospital after refusing to put on a hospital gown. Initial reports said he was taken to the hospital because of a possible suicide attempt. Security guards punched him in the lip, yanked his hair and tased him when he tried to leave the hospital. He is an epileptic, a fact made known at the time he was brought to the hospital. His family says he suffered a massive seizure as a consequence of the violence inflicted on him.

Yes, it happens when people refuse to do things like put on a hospital gown, or try to leave!

edit typo

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Did that actually happen though? Was there a proper investigation?

Generally if people are sent to Hospital for suicide attempts they are under strict watch and it can seem like they're being forced to do something but it's for their own benefit.

As for the damages caused by the guards. I couldn't click your link so I'm just going by what's said in your quote, but they could very well be from restraining the patient. There was probably a scuffle and the guard may have elbowed him in the face by accident, for example.

Also, security guards in USA carry tasers? lol?! even in Hospitals??

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Yes, that actually happened.

Here are some more examples for you. Hopefully, these events are not happening on a daily basis, but, as you can see, reports of this type of thing are coming in from all over the country.

link

TALLAHASSEE, FL - Attorney General Bill McCollum today announced that a Broward County man is in custody on charges that he battered a disabled adult. Rickardo Miller, 29, was formerly employed by South Florida Evaluation and Treatment Center as a security guard. He was arrested today by law enforcement officers with the Attorney General's Medicaid Fraud Control Unit with assistance from the Miami-Dade Police Department.

link

This incident has my blood boiling: according to documents leaked to KATU-TV in Portland, Ore., hospital security staff at Oregon Health & Science University beat a handcuffed woman after she stormed out of the ER. Here's how the station describes the incident:

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join