It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb Things Americans Believe

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Hellas]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Where's the video? Fix the link!! "p

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Well if your not sure of your religion then take this quiz. This quiz is really accurate. www.beliefnet.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by Hellas

Where's the video? Fix the link!! "p

I posted the link

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Although a few of these things on the list were silly, I can't help but think that all those polled were avid viewers of the FOX News network.

Still they should have added a number 11:

Polls showing that a lot of people believe the "ground zero Mosque" was actually being built at ground zero, and isn't really part of a community center six blocks from the former North tower.

Oh well.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Color, size, and other things are intrinsic things that can be determined by domination of genes. I admit the Richard Leski experiment confirms microevolution. Then that still makes macroevolution the unconfirmed hypothesis.

I have a hard time believing one type of organism can become another type of organism, and that has yet to be shown.

But I concede that microevolution can happen; I believed genes could mutate and such and dominate. But until they can show one species becoming another species it will not confirm the hypothesis. I believe we would have plenty of transition fossils and the like if that were true.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I got:

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (76%)
3. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (74%)
4. Baha'i Faith (69%)
5. Reform Judaism (66%)
6. Eastern Orthodox (61%)
7. Roman Catholic (61%)
8. Unitarian Universalism (60%)
9. Seventh Day Adventist (59%)
10. Orthodox Judaism (58%)
11. Orthodox Quaker (57%)
12. Sikhism (57%)
13. New Thought (52%)
14. Islam (50%)
15. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (48%)
16. Jehovah's Witness (47%)
17. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (45%)
18. Mahayana Buddhism (42%)
19. Theravada Buddhism (42%)
20. Hinduism (39%)
21. New Age (37%)
22. Neo-Pagan (35%)
23. Jainism (34%)
24. Scientology (29%)
25. Nontheist (24%)
26. Secular Humanism (19%)
27. Taoism (18%)

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

We're like polar opposites; I was rewarded with the Secular Humanist title. You're a nice person though.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Thanks man. Thanks for not bashing me.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

No problem. Comment my profile sometime we can chat later.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I wonder how many americans know where the language they speak comes from? i know alot of em didnt know they "won" their indipendance from great brtiain.

If they dont know where the language comes from the internet wont help, i notice nowdays if u see the word english online it usually as an american flag next to it.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Generalizing a whole people is never good, no matter whether they're Americans, Iraqis, or Swiss.

I agree, it never works. I catch myself every time I start to generalize.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
Still they should have added a number 11:

Polls showing that a lot of people believe the "ground zero Mosque" was actually being built at ground zero, and isn't really part of a community center six blocks from the former North tower.

Oh well.

- Lee

That is what I observe often. There are people who will not read for themselves or get the facts. They just go with what someone tells them.
You have to think for yourself. You just have to.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Thats just natural selection. Not even hardcore young earth creationists dispute that. God put in a locally adaptive mechanism to cope with minor environmental challenges. However, statistically the genetic pool tends to revert to norm over time. Those so called micro-evolutionary changes disappear if the environmental pressure is removed.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
reply to post by 547000

Thats just natural selection. Not even hardcore young earth creationists dispute that. God put in a locally adaptive mechanism to cope with minor environmental challenges. However, statistically the genetic pool tends to revert to norm over time. Those so called micro-evolutionary changes disappear if the environmental pressure is removed.

Can you prove God did that? I highly doubt you can prove it.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

There is always an element of faith for every belief. However all you really have to do is to look at the end product. Here we have a world filled with intelligent self replicating agents, self repairing and complex beyond our wildest imagination. A single strand of DNA, say from the human genome has 3 billion base pairs, with each pair holding 2 bits for a total of 750 Mbytes of information. All encoded in a single genome. Thus the self replicating automatons have a built in programming language for specifying the operation of the organism.

Yet you are to tell me this all occurred by accident. Nothing created everything, according to evolution. If I found a perfectly formed pentium core i7 out of the silicon on my local beach, and I claimed it showed up by pure random chance, you'd think me insane. Yet the premise of evolution is that all the complexity of life, infinitely more complex than a mere microprocessor, with all it's complementary systems etc. all showed up by pure chance after billions of years of evolution. Pure hogwash.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I believe Evolution COULD be real, however as has been stated, there is still not definitive proof of such a statement. There is circumstantial evidence, yes, but that is simply not enough for me. At the same time, I feel that evolution, if it is real, should not separate itself from spirituality, but can work hand in hand to explain to us better the origins of human and worldly existence.

As for my religion, I got what I expected on that quiz, just to give everyone an overview of my perspective.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Mahayana Buddhism (91%)
3. Liberal Quakers (87%)
4. New Age (80%)
5. Neo-Pagan (80%)
6. Jainism (77%)
7. Hinduism (77%)
8. Theravada Buddhism (75%)
9. New Thought (74%)
10. Sikhism (72%)
11. Reform Judaism (69%)
12. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (67%)
13. Taoism (65%)
14. Scientology (62%)
15. Baha'i Faith (59%)
16. Orthodox Judaism (51%)
17. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (50%)
18. Orthodox Quaker (50%)
19. Secular Humanism (46%)
20. Islam (41%)
21. Nontheist (33%)
22. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (22%)
23. Seventh Day Adventist (21%)
24. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (15%)
25. Eastern Orthodox (15%)
26. Roman Catholic (15%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (10%)

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

not really. People would just know they were created similarly.

Facts are based on human interpretation of unobserved events through indirect observation. For all we know, a quantum bullet in a world war 53 went back in time and started the universe 23 years ago. If we did not observe it we don't know. And even then we only go based on out human experience. Reality it how you perceive it. No I don't believe the silliness that what you think you create. And I'm a realist and know that the universe is agent and all that. What I'm saying is we have no way of knowing if the whole universe just didn't form a second ago exactly as it is now. Facts are never 100% known to be true. Just accepted to be most likely.

If the whole world was creationist, they's accept facts based on their view of what was most likely. Gene therapy and all that does not require evolution. Anybody can see an ape and think they were created similarly and ponder if they have similar genes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join