It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb Things Americans Believe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
America, The Ignorant. Oh look, I'm going to show you vague statistics and then point and laugh at you because you don't believe what I do! Ahahaha! Look at the stupid American! I'm far superior!
Hey, what happened to actual news? This is written like some blog post. As stated before, it's incredibly ignorant to generalize a whole group of people [which people will do anyway, based on religion, race, etc.]
I doubt this has some sinister hidden agenda that wants to keep us stupid, but who knows? But this is nothing new, is it? Even here at ATS, we mock each other just because we weren't on the same frequency. And the internet is like a reflection of the real world, because it's inhabited by the people who live on earth. Constant fighting, bickering, mocking over arguments about ANYTHING. That: you're an IDIOT because you believe in something that I don't, or vice versa. I'm going to proceed to mock you, and laugh at your face!
This is mankind in a nutshell. Always fighting. Whether it be words, or fists.
But maybe, it's not JUST mocking us because we have different opinions. Maybe, just maybe this "news" reporter wants to make us feel inadequate that, as a free person in America chooses to believe in something else, is apparently wrong, and you should believe the general idea of things. You want to make conspiracy theorists feel low about themselves.
But anyway, I'm just ranting and venting. It's good for your health

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Generalizing a whole people = bad...and it's always bad! So is stereotyping

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

My favorite one by far, however, is the THEORY of Evolution and how those who don't buy into it 100% have 'unevolved' brains.

They never said that. They made a comment that young people's minds were better "evolved" because they were more likely to accept the Theory of Evolution.

I fully agree with them here, the fact that only 39% accept a Theory as strong as Evolution is a frightening thing indeed especially when those with religious bias try to get their particular myths taught in science classrooms.

Could you imagine if only 39% believed in the Germ Theory of Disease or Plate Tectonics or Atomic Theory or Gravity?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The articles states that people who believed Obama WAS a Muslim were wrong. He was for a brief period when he lived overseas. He is identified as a Christian currently but that does not make the former incorrect.

It also seems anything the Bush Administration said (parroted by FOX) was taken for gospel - Saddam having anything to do with 9/11, WMD's etc. The scary part is around 25% still haven't learned the truth after only 7 years.

Blame the public schools, media or both?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

That's about the biggest white guy I've ever seen! The hardhat dude is enormous too. Man, I'd hate to have both of them after me. That is so ludicrous going after that guy because of his hat. Give me a break, these people are just venomous and are looking to take their aggressions out on someone. Good job by the peace makers though actually managing to defuse the situation.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
My probem with this whole thing is.....who FRACKING cares what religion a person is? Unless of course you're a religious extremist yourself.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Yeah, I noticed that after rereading. I take back my comments on the Saddam thing. However, in the same category it also lists 9/11 theories which I do hold close to heart.

reply to post by redoubt

I meant no insult. I personally do not care what religion he is. However, the article seems to indicate that anyone who might think he is anything other than Christian is a crazy loon. I mean, I've personally seen evidence of his Muslim past so I always consider it a possibility but in the end, it doesn't matter to me.

reply to post by Titen-Sxull

We could turn this into a debate on evolution if you would like, however, I don't think the Theory of Evolution is nearly as strong as the others. It is after all still a THEORY not a LAW, as in the LAW of Gravity. Theory denotes that it has yet to be 100% confirmed and there is still room for interpretation. Personally, I believe that there is A LOT of room for interpretation. To ignore the theory completely is just ignorance and stupidity, however, to believe that there is more to the history of life than just the one, controversial theory - that is just common sense.

Overall, my basic gripe with the article is the fact that A. it stereotypes the American people and B. it nitpicks and brings the the forefront things that shouldn't even hold merit, or are of a person's individual beliefs. More of the MSM showing how their colors really shine.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Newsweek isn't worthy to line my parrot cage. The entire article is a poorly written attack piece on basic American values. I think they threw in the Sun goes around the earth question to cover their obvious psychotic liberal bias.

The funny thing is that it's quite possible that Newsweek is in fact the one who has it wrong on a majority of their so called facts. I'll just pick a couple at random. Take the Obama is not a muslim 'fact'. Obama actually confessed to the president of Egypt that he was a Muslim.

atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com...

Being the son of a Muslim (supposedly) and raised in Muslim schools, he is considered by Muslims to be a Muslim. I believe his phony confession of christian faith is part of an allowed Islamic lie to promulgate his faith. It's called Taqiyya.

Now lets take Americans belief in witches. There are plenty of them around these days who believe and practice magic. Newsweek believes that atheism is an 'obvious' truth, hence all spirituality is bogus and there can't be witches. My own personal experiences with the spiritual realm says they are completely wrong and ignorant, but you can certainly examine a host of eyewitness testimony. Here is one website of this type.
theparanormalpastor.blogspot.com...

We could also examine the curious lack of belief in evolution. Could it be due to a curious lack of real evidence? Enough to make some scientists consider things like intelligent design and so forth. I know there is a hysterical scientific mafia that will defend their worldview, no matter how wrong until death, but Darwinism is a theory that could easily be wrong and be replaced by many other viable and even more probable theories. Apparently Newsweek is unable to tell the difference between scientific theory and scientific fact.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Some of the posters in here are trying really hard to prove the article right

[edit on 26-8-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Why? Because they don't believe what you do?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Like I said. That would not honestly matter. If Earth was 100% creationist it would not hamper scientific progress nor society advancing. You could have starship and still be creationist. Would it honestly make you any less worthy? I mean sure it's kind of silly, but to value a person based on how they view their past before humanity even existed is kind of just as silly.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I was hoping one of the poll questions would have been: 'Most Americans actually believe the Civil War was fought for the sole purpose of freeing the slaves.'

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Why? Because they don't believe what you do?

No, because some disbelieve facts simply because it goes against their religion or political affiliations.

If you tell me you believe the "talking snake and make man out of dust and woman out of the rib of the man" theory is more credible than evolution which we know for a fact is right...then sorry, you're just a blind sheep who refuses to accept reality. If you still believe Iraq had WMDs, you are dumb too...mostly because if they had found them, the US would have made sure it's all over the news. If you believe all Muslims are secretly planning to take over the world, you are dumb too.

You aren't dumb in those cases because you don't believe the same as me, you are dumb because you disbelieve things that have been proven right through multiple peer reviews. Yet just because of religious or political reason you act like an ignorant sheep.

Stop letting religion and political parties cloud your mind and shove opinions down your throught. Use your brain, and actually look at the facts.

Talking snake seducing women more likely than evolution...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Do we really still live in the middle ages where the majority of people is uneducated? Sad really!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Like I said. That would not honestly matter. If Earth was 100% creationist it would not hamper scientific progress nor society advancing. You could have starship and still be creationist. Would it honestly make you any less worthy? I mean sure it's kind of silly, but to value a person based on how they view their past before humanity even existed is kind of just as silly.

If the whole world were creationist, we would have never used the findings from evolution in modern medicine and gene therapy. Most of the vaccines we have today wouldn't exist, and we'd be pretty much at zero when it comes to gene technology. So I'd say it very well hampers scientific progress and our society advancing and prospering.

Next time you head to a tropical country and need Malaria prevention meds or other shots, just don't take them and experience the wonderful world of creationism if you don't believe it makes a difference

We don't just claim evolution is right, we are actively applying that knowledge in many modern fields...and guess what, it works!!

So to say the talking snake theory is the right one, while bashing evolution with all its facts, just makes people look very very very stupid. They have of course the right to be stupid, but only as long as it doesn't harm others. Not getting medicine just because the procedures used in making them goes against creationist values would be considered "doing harm to others".

Also, if we'd purely base our opinion on religion, we'd still believe fire is god, or that meteorites are a "sign of god". Both things we can now fully explain, and god has nothing to do with it.

I dunno about you, but I'd like NOT to be ignorant and base my opinions on REAL FACTS rather than pure blind belief. That's not saying you don't have the right to believe stupid stuff, just leave the rest of us alone with it because we prefer reality

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

I don't want to turn this into an Evolution debate but I will set you straight on the definition of Theory in science.

A scientific theory is too broad to be promoted to a law as a law is usually written in the form of a mathematical equation. In fact many theories contain LAWS. Here's a screenshot I took from a video on the subject that illustrates it well.

I bet if Americans were polled to find out how many knew the academic definition of theory versus the one used in normal conversation the numbers would be abysmal.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Has a scientist ever changed one species into another species? If not, the hypothesis is unconfirmed. You can infer evolution exists, argue for it by showing all the fossil evidence you want, show genes mutate, but until we have scientifically demonstrated one species turning into another species in the lab, the hypothesis is not met. It's not a theory in the sense that it's an explanation for a confirmed hypothesis; it's a theory in the sense that there exists a large body of related information under the name "evolutionary theory".

Comparing gravitational theory to evolutionary theory is dishonest. The former is an explanation of a confirmed hypothesis, the latter is just a compelling argument inferred from a large body of favorable evidence. Scientists have not changed one species into another by the mechanism suggested as far as I know--they've only shown that genes already existing in a species can become dominant or it can mutate--so the hypothesis has not been met yet.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by 547000]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Just fyi, we have observed speciation in the lab. I suggest you at least read the wiki pages before making uneducated posts

[edit on 27-8-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Link please, I can't find it. I hope it's not something retarded like seeing the color change or a trait instristic to an organism dominate.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Link please, I can't find it. I hope it's not something retarded like seeing the color change or a trait instristic to an organism dominate.

Here's some information you'll like. Are you religious by any chance? I can see your belief is endangered because of evolution.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Scientists have forced a little evolution in the laboratory, controlling whether a caterpillar becomes green or black. The color of the critter was made to vary with temperature during their development. The experiment reveals the basic hormonal mechanism underlying the evolution of such dual traits, the researchers report in Monday's issue of the journal Science.

www.thejesusmyth.com...

Experiments have shown that a myriad of different, apparantly unrelated organisms have processes that give their offspring new traits. Some of these traits make it easier for those offspring to survive and procreate. Some of them make it harder.

www.thenakedscientists.com...

Professor Richard Lenski works at Michigan State University and in his lab he’s grown over 40,000 generations of E. coli for over twenty years. He persuaded the bacteria to evolve totally new characteristics and giving scientists new insights into how organisms adapt and change over time.

More information on Richard Lenski. www.sciencebuzz.org... and this link here. www.newscientist.com...

evolution.berkeley.edu...

To test his hypothesis that fish populations evolve smaller body sizes when they are harvested based on size, David set up an experiment in his lab.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Will check, thank you.

I am religious, but not in the traditional sense. I believe things other people of my religion don't believe. My main problem with evolution is not that I believe all was created in 6 days. I believe in a few billion years old universe. I just don't think it's a proven law, but an inferred belief. Unless the hypothesis in confirmed it is not a theory in the first sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join