It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb Things Americans Believe

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

www.newsweek.com

Chances are that by now you've heard about the Aug. 19, 2010, Pew poll that found that nearly one fifth of Americans (mistakenly) believe that President Obama is a Muslim. Perhaps you think that a terrifying outlier; or perhaps you're a believer, and then you are in good company. Either way, you're wrong: in fact, remarkably high numbers of Americans believe the most unusual things...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I just got online for the first time today and this is what met my eye on my front page. While the article does list some decent points, it also is kind enough to mention things that A. can't be proven or B. are flat out opinion.

It speaks about President Obama's religion and how you are insane if you believe he is or was anything other than Christian. It speaks of Saddam Hussein and the invasion of Iraq, and how some "crazy people" still believe that Saddam didn't have WMDs. (Because after all... we found all of them right?)

My favorite one by far, however, is the THEORY of Evolution and how those who don't buy into it 100% have 'unevolved' brains.

There are quite a few tidbits that could be talking points, but I believe the grouping of some things is done just make it look even worse. Thoughts?

www.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
First I thought you were posting a lot of the same information that was already posted. Yeah it's sad to see how America become a nation with it's head in it's buttocks looking for fools gold.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
First I thought you were posting a lot of the same information that was already posted. Yeah it's sad to see how America become a nation with it's head in it's buttocks looking for fools gold.

It happens when you're on top for a while. No nation or empire that was once on top was able to keep things that way. They let it get to their head, then it all goes downhill.

The British seemed to handle it gracefully. The Romans did not. We're not either, I'm afraid.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

You're right. It will be a sad to see that America is no longer a superpower soon. Who knows what will happen then.

Lug

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
It will be a sad to see that America is no longer a superpower soon.

It'll take a little while before any of the other economic powerhouses like China or India get anywhere near the military clout that America presently has. The problem is that while they still have all that hardware and excellent personnel to run it, there's this small thing called a deficit.

Keeping all those bases spread around the world is going to get increasingly more complicated, If America pulled it all back home, North America would certainly be the most formidable fortress on the planet. Little Kim's got nothing on Uncle Sam, imho.

Give it another century and you might see the power shift.

As far as 'dumb' is concerned, I doubt American's hold the record on that. You just have to look at the way the EU is stumbling around, the Italian government in general, Indonesian policing, Chinese 'communism'
, Russian ecological disasters, Canadian politics and, best of all, the construction of those insane islands off Dubai.

No... it's not only Americans that are dumb, it's the whole of humanity that requires a solid boot to the rump regions.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Yes...this certainly sounded like a whole heap of propaganda that claims people are crazy or stupid if they believe in a certain thing...half the things they were talking about can't even be confirmed either way...it's clearly just another "skeptic" who believes they have all the answers to everything there ever was to know...amazingly, it's always the most mundane and mainstream opinion which they agree with, which shows just how ignorant they really are...pathetic...

[edit on 25/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Not to sound dumb too, but most of these do not relate to the intelligence of a person. In fact, it's very much so a strawman fallacy stating that belief in these things makes you stupid or dumb.

Oh yes sure the belief can in fact be stupid or dumb. But the fact remains quite simply that to associate a dumb idea to the person being dumb is ignorant at best.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
First off if you’re a person that excepts anything as fact, then I will show you how your wrong. Nothing should ever be considered fact and I will give you two examples that might just blow your mind since you just might have never thought about it before. In the beginning almost all people on earth believed it was flat correct, now we believe it is round, well its not its actually oblong in shape it is not a perfect circle since without a super computer it is impossible to make a perfect circle. Second one most would say the general color of the sky is blue right, well wrong just like anything you see in color is scientifically not the color you see. Reason is the color you see is the one being reflected back at you so there for the item in question is not that color but made up of all other colors in the spectrum. So with that I will believe not your read and only half of what you see as well as question everything in the world and you will go far and lean towards science for all answered, but even science questions all there own answers for every thing is noting more than a hypothesis with very little in the world proven as fact since the facts change ever time. Look at the planets did we not have another one in the total not that long ago but because of better equipment in exploring our galaxy as definition of a planet one just didn’t match up. So you see as time goes on so changes occur and what we thought as fact yesterday could be false tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Is this thread just for dumb Americans, or can people from other countries believe dumb things too?

Just curious.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
It speaks of Saddam Hussein and the invasion of Iraq, and how some "crazy people" still believe that Saddam didn't have WMDs. (Because after all... we found all of them right?)

No it doesn't. It says "Even years after claims that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction or had links to the September 11 attacks had been debunked, not all Americans were convinced."

The opposite.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

From the link
t seems obvious that it's not a good idea to put too much stock in withcraft. But it turns out that 21 percent of Americans believe there are real sorcerors, conjurers, and warlocks out there. And that's just one of the several paranormal beliefs common among Americans, according to Gallup: 41 percent believe in ESP, 32 percent in ghosts, and a quarter in astrology. In fairness, the numbers in this poll are a little old—they date back to 2005. But then again, if people haven't changed their mind since the Enlightenment, it's not clear another half decade would make much difference.

Did I miss the Enlightenment??????????????? Damn.

I guess I'm just a silly, stupid American. I guess those ghosts that I have seen and heard with my own eyes are ears were figments of my ignorance. lol

And I guess that means the majority of the Business and Political Elite are too busy dressing up in robes and performing rituals to read this article and realise they are the butt of a joke. Silly manipulative and powerful Occultists, don't you read the MSM?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

My two cents on Saddam Hussein as prior military all I can say at this time again don’t believe everything you were told. Till this day I do not understand the reason behind why the American publics were lead to believe that no WMD were found. All I can say is you have been mislead, in more ways than one by our media and White house personnel.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

That's okay, I don't rely on the public pronouncements of our media and White House personnel to lead me.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
We have people here at ATS that:

A) Believe Ireland is between mainland Europe and the British Islands
B) Believe New Zealand is to the west of Australia.

And I have a feeling not all of them are Americans.

[edit on 8/25/10 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The article has some very valid points, like when it comes to evolution.

Having said that, you can't just generalize a whole people like that. There's intelligent people who accept evolution as the fact it is, or who correctly assume there's no WMDs in Iraq because we haven't found any even after years of invasion.

Generalizing a whole people is never good, no matter whether they're Americans, Iraqis, or Swiss.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Lug

That military might doesn't help the American people. A strong economy benefits them a lot more and lets them have good lives.

When it comes to economy it won't be that long until China and Asia in general pulls ahead of the US.

The US were one of the few developed countries who's infrastructure survived WW2, that gave 'em a huge advantage in becoming a superpower for decades to come. Thing is...the other countries have finally caught up or are catching up fast.

The world with only 1 major super power is over, the future will have several superpowers who will be all interdependent.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

I really don't have any interest in a politically inspired hokey-pokey here but... I thought I would mention that you might do better about correcting what you see as misperceptions, if you were less about referring to what others believe as being 'dumb'.

Without actually saying as much, your post seems almost insulting to anyone who does not immediately agree that Mr. Obama is a Christian. Now... maybe he is and maybe he isn't. I personally don't care what religion the man follows. Nobody is perfect.

It's up to you but... maybe you could lean more to educating the masses instead of griping at them?

It's your call.

Best

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
It was just bias and slant imitating as the polling of intelligence. Only of
few of the questions had concrete answers.

It was interesting how many people still believe that Saddam had WMD's
or was involved with terrorism or 9/11. That speaks of the effectiveness
of propaganda and home-spun popular opinion.

Witches, warlocks and ghosts....Well, I've had sex with a witch. That was
an interesting night. And I've talked to warlocks (actually they referred to
themselves as male wiccans). And Ghosts? Well, you can't prove a
negative, so the slant by the writer was as silly an uneducated (no it was
worse because it was contrived and purposefully disingenuous) as the
people he is pointing to as being gullible.

I did appreciate the information about how the Abrahamic religions
are related under one God. Most Christians have no idea that the
God-head they worship is the same one Jews and Muslims worship.
I guess there is good in everything like they say....

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Polls and statistics are highly inaccurate and can be easily misleading and just straight up wrong.

Anyways, I saw a ghost many times with my own two eyes. I even saw a ghost with more than one person who ALL saw the same thing. So yes, I believe in them. How does it make me stupid? They could be real, we humans have no understanding of the universe. They could be inter-dimensional beings for all we know.

And yes it's possible they are fake and it is just human nature to want to see ghosts. But to call someone stupid for believing in them is silly.

I bet if you asked the same questions to people in different countries, you could get the exact same statistics. American bashing is old and quite pointless. There are stupid people EVERYWHERE.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by mnmcandiez]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join