It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WiFi-blocking wallpaper. Tin-foil hat wearers rejoice!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Isn't that great? So no worries about people dropping in your Wi-Fi lans. Maybe they developped that because too many people are lazy and don't secure their wireless networks lol...

Stealth wallpaper could keep LANs secure
June 18 2004
by Ron Coates

UK defence contractor BAE Systems has developed a stealth wallpaper to beat electronic eavesdropping on company Wi-Fi and wired LANs.

The company has produced panels using the technology to produce a screen that will prevent outsiders from listening in on companies' Wi-Fi traffic but let other radio and mobile phone traffic get through.

Entire Article

Tin-foil hat wearers, rejoice!

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
thin copper-mesh-gauze has been know to stop wi-fi signals when the antenna is enclosed in it. open one side and you have a directional antenna

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Great find m0rbid i know a few people who would buy that product for there homes to stop people war driving on them. Great post mate

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I have a hard time accessing my wireless network when I'm only one room away from my wireless base station, so I'm certainly not concerned about people war driving. I guess with a Belkin 802.11b wireless router that was free after rebate, you get what you pay for. I never even bothered to set up encryption, though I suppose that doing so might be a good idea, on the off chance that someone out war driving could get lucky.

I've noticed that the sheet metal walls of my garage block most wireless signals pretty efficiently as well, it's almost a miracle to get a cell phone to receive a signal in here. Since my main computer room is in my garage and I'm on the computer quite often, the perpetual lack of a reliable signal can at times get pretty frustrating. On the plus side, I should be pretty safe from alien abduction in here...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
shadow, is your wireless phone 900Mhz not 2.4 Ghrz? I bet it is, 900, goes through wall and stuff-metal- better than 2.4 gig. The lower the freq, the better the penetration. This is not a guess, I spent about two years in the wireless netwoking industry and know this for a fact.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that my cell phone would have to be 2.4ghz, as it is capable of data transmission as well as traditional phone service. Not too many cell phones use the lower frequency anymore due to ability of higher frequency signals to carry more information, or so the intro to wireless technology that I had to go through as part of Cisco lessons told me.

I even have a problem with the reception of FM radio transmissions in there though, and if I recall those are transmitted in the low mhz range...

new topics

top topics

join