It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alert! EPA Considering Ban On Traditional Ammo

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Will DU be a "toxic substance" or will we all stop shooting good old lead and start shooting DU here at home?

Wouldnt this also make it more difficult for those who reload? The melting point of lead is so low anyone can mold bullets at home but we'd need a special set up for most other metals.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by Vitchilo

The EPA is actually a legislative body, didn't you know?

They can write all the laws they please and no one can stop them.

Just like the rest of our criminal government.

I have herd of this as the first stepping stone in banning our guns. Yea it seems like a far streach now but after they work it down with other laws and the national small arms act it will end up like pot. Pot is not illegal if you have a tax exempt stamp. Only problem is they dont exsist.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Wow! You people's paranoia about your guns is off the hook. How come every time someone proposes a law that has anything to do with guns you immediately go to, "They're coming for your guns!"? Then the more rational people have to calm you down. A little time passes and you have ALWAYS still had your guns.

This law is them trying to find a solution to the thousands of people getting lead poisoning over the years, often from shooting ranges.
www.ewg.org...
www.cdc.gov...
www.mass.gov... alth+Program&L4=Hazard+Information+Bulletins&sid=Elwd&b=terminalcontent&f=dos_mwshp_hib404&csid=Elwd
www.cnn.com...

Don't worry...there are plenty alternatives to lead bullets that can still kill federal employees, congressmen, cops, IRS agents, census takers, etc.
www.iws.org...
www.barnesbullets.com...
www.cabelas.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupremeKnowledge
There is also Aluminum and Steel, which we throw away on a daily basis

some firearms cannot fire steel shot as it would damage them. Tungsten is also being considered as an alternative, however i have read that tungsten can be radioactive when heated.

either way, EPA is considering a measure that is outside of their authority. Congress passed a statute that specifically restricts ammo from regulation by the EPA.

The Toxic Substance Control Act of 1976 expressed that ammunition is a regulatory exemption.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by AzoriaCorp]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip
Wow! You people's paranoia about your guns is off the hook. How come every time someone proposes a law that has anything to do with guns you immediately go to, "They're coming for your guns!"? Then the more rational people have to calm you down. A little time passes and you have ALWAYS still had your guns.

This law is them trying to find a solution to the thousands of people getting lead poisoning over the years, often from shooting ranges.
www.ewg.org...
www.cdc.gov...
www.mass.gov... alth+Program&L4=Hazard+Information+Bulletins&sid=Elwd&b=terminalcontent&f=dos_mwshp_hib404&csid=Elwd
www.cnn.com...

Don't worry...there are plenty alternatives to lead bullets that can still kill federal employees, congressmen, cops, IRS agents, census takers, etc.
www.iws.org...
www.barnesbullets.com...
www.cabelas.com...

I think most people are concerned about the "high prices" of non-lead bullets, but what they forget is that those bullets are only "high priced" because that market can't compete with lead bullets.

If lead bullets get banned for sale (you'll still be allowed to deplete your lead stockpiles), then economies of scale kick in, meaning, as more and more non-lead bullets get sold, their prices will drop. They'll probably never be as cheap as lead bullets are today, but they certainly will not be double the price.

It's not a conspiracy that lead poisoning happens, it's a real thing that happens and is very easy to document. Lead in the air can really screw up a kid's neurological development.

If I had kids I would never take them to a shooting range where there is a build up of lead. I'd take them out to some remote place where the air is clean.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The simple survivalist answer to replace lead is..... silver.

You can melt down your in-laws silver service, or old coins or whatever.

And it packs plenty of stopping power against werewolves and other unholy predators.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Only the regulatory agencies are created through law. But what few know(or care to acknowledge) is that the agencies often apply regulatory power arbitrarily. They are responsible for how industry is regulated, because of this regulations they set are backed by the force of law. The EPA could do this by just changing the language.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

We are "so defensive of our guns" because they are absolutely needed to maintain liberty and freedom, something that has been hard to come by lately. Furthermore, they are coming for our weapons and it's just a matter of time before they completely take them. In fact, they have been taking them little by little.

Also, we don't "always wind up with our guns", as so many laws have been passed around them, the 2nd Amendment has been subverted and no longer protects our right as intended.

In short, we don't still have our guns because their is so much red tape around them. Many people no longer have the right to bare arms and the ones that do, can't own the kind that are most effective at maintaining freedom. We can basically own hunting weapons, pretty useless for the intentions of our 2nd Amendment.

People simply don't want any more restrictions, regulations, legislation or anything making it harder to maintain a defense against tyranny. They have already knocked us down and now they want to turn the lights off. No thanks! Once they take our hunting rifles away, we have nothing left but the stones in our gardens. Little by little.

--airspoon

[edit on 27-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
Our own government could barely afford to make this switch. I can't see this ever getting through.

Yeah,
I agree,
The military will never go for it,
And with our country in a recession no one is going to want ammo to be more expensive,
It would basically kill our economy even more.....

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Just to update, the EPA has issued its decision on lead ammunition.

It seems there will be no ban, thankfully. The agency denied the petition citing a lack of jurisdiction in the matter, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Obama administration and the EPA itself were pressured to dump this thing as quickly as possible by a fair number of Democratic congressmen. The last thing they need heading into a potentially devastating election cycle is for the party to be on the losing side of yet another major issue.

Oh well. Good riddance to this one.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
please remove OT post

[edit on 8/28/2010 by above]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This happened here locally...I was uber suprised by the pounds of material from only one shooting range....I can't find real #'s I was "told" that it was upwards of 10 tons of shot a year, for a clay and skeet shooting range near me...www.claytargetsonline.com...

Now if you look at this nationally...it is a lot of material...
www.claytargetsonline.com...

I am not advocating, a new law or control, but when a hillside in my town turns red and the creeks run red from the rust of steel shot...
Not to mention, how many 100's of tons of lead is still there, before the "steel shot only" came to be, not sure which I preferr...red rusty creeks or poisened ppl....

Maybe contol of massive shooting "skeet" ranges is a better approach.

Silver...too hard, unless you lower the powder so much "lower velocity" other wise it stripps the rifling and is inaccurate. But will fire and work, just not good, or accurate.

I have been playing with plastics...same plastics, thats in ballistic tipped hunting ammo....with suprising affects/results.

As always...there are many options, lead tire weights melted down for my molds work ok, in my average guns.."scared of a "hard piece of foriegn steel in it though" scratching my higher priced guns rifling

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I helped tear down a police pistol range once and I ran the bobcat that dug up the backstop hill. The range was in use, year round, for 50+ years. I started ripping into the hill, that thing was almost solid lead for a good foot and a half!!! I would guess from years of lead being fired into lead. It was too heavy for the bobcat to lift a full bucket.

We took the dirt/lead material to a private person, to reclame the copper, lead, and other metals. That was almost 15 years ago and he is still processing the stuff and casting bullets with it.

The local EPA tested the soil under where the backstop was, for lead contamination. According to them (the EPA) the level of ground contamination was, "Negligible" and was no cause for any further action to be taken.

If those "levels" were found under and in the vacinity of the backstop mound, of an out-door pistol and shooting range, then I dont think that the general public or my fellow shooters out there have anything to be worried about.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join