It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alert! EPA Considering Ban On Traditional Ammo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I would hope people do more research on that... and someone please post it in breaking news... it seems I can't... I get an error.

They gonna try to kill the second amendment using what everybody is crazy about these days... THE POOR LITTLE ENVIRONMENT.

This is sick.

EPA Considering Ban on Traditional Ammunition — Take Action Now

With the fall hunting season fast approaching, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under Lisa Jackson, who was responsible for banning bear hunting in New Jersey, is now considering a petition by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) – a leading anti-hunting organization – to ban all traditional ammunition under the Toxic Substance Control Act of 1976, a law in which Congress expressly exempted ammunition. If the EPA approves the petition, the result will be a total ban on all ammunition containing lead-core components, including hunting and target-shooting rounds. The EPA must decide to accept or reject this petition by November 1, 2010, the day before the midterm elections.

You know what that would mean? No more leads in bullets = new bullets based on another metal, which would make bullets WAY MORE EXPENSIVE... basically taxing the second amendment and chocking it to death.

It seems they would switch to copper, the army is already doing it... copper prices will skyrocket if this passes.

And wouldn't this also make CURRENT AMMO ILLEGAL?

The EPA want to ban lead bullets but won't ban DU ammo used by the US army making cancer rates rise by thousands of percents... yeah...

Nor the EPA cared when Corexit was used massively in the gulf... but now they care about bullets... Yeah they only care/don't care when it goes against Americans lives/liberties.... how sweet of them.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

Mod Edit - All Caps Title.

[edit on Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:17:00 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

The EPA is actually a legislative body, didn't you know?

They can write all the laws they please and no one can stop them.

Just like the rest of our criminal government.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I have been saying for a long time now, that when they do come for our weapons, it won't be at the voice of the people, rather it will be through some shady back-door technique. They are coming for our weapons and without a proper way for real American patriots to organize and assemble, something that was supposed to be protected through our 1st Amendment, we will have no way to fight it when they do.

The government knows that they can't legislate weapons out so instead, they are going to make them irrelevant through a technicality. Sadly, by the time Americans realize what's going on, it will be far too late. In fact, it's already too late, IMO.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Ugh.. really?

How silly can these people get.

Enviromentalists and Political Correctness will be the DEATH of this country..

The current admin of the EPA is a piece of work. Check out some of the videos of her on the youtube.. ugh

They already charge an arm and a leg for a box of ammo. The government tax on both manufacturer and on the person buying the ammo is such a double-dip.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Here's what the law in question says:

Toxic Substances Control Act of 1976

The Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) is a United States law, passed by the United States Congress in 1976, that regulates the introduction of new or already existing chemicals. It grandfathered most existing chemicals, in contrast to the Registration, Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals (REACH) legislation of the European Union. However, as explained below, the TSCA specifically regulates polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) products.

Contrary to what the name implies, TSCA does not separate chemicals into categories of "toxic" and "non-toxic". Rather it prohibits the manufacture or importation of chemicals that are not on the TSCA Inventory (or subject to one of many exemptions). Chemicals that are listed on the TSCA inventory are referred to as "existing chemicals". Chemicals not listed are referred to "new chemicals". Generally, manufacturers must submit premanufacturing notification to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) prior to manufacturing (or importing) new chemicals for commercial purposes. There are notable exceptions, including one for research and development, and for substances regulated under other statutes such as the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act and the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act.

New chemicals notifications are reviewed by the Agency and if the Agency finds an "unreasonable risk to human health or the environment", may regulate the substance in a variety of ways, from limiting uses or production volume to an outright ban.

Subchapter IV of the TSCA, "Lead Exposure Reduction," was enacted by the U.S. Congress in 1992 under PL 102-550. It requires the EPA to identify sources of lead contamination in the environment, regulate amounts of lead allowed in products, including paint and toys, and establish state programs to monitor and reduce lead exposures.

Wikipedia

It make sense to exempt bullets from this law; the intended use for bullets is to KILL PEOPLE (or animals). Duh.

If I'm trying to kill someone with my nasty bullets, why should I care if they get lead poisoning?

It seems to me that the lead in the bullets only serves to makes them MORE EFFECTIVE. I'm all for that.

I guess the EPA wants us to kill our enemies with kindness right?

[edit on 8/25/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
There is also Aluminum and Steel, which we throw away on a daily basis

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I said it before and I say it again. Those "basement" inventors had better get cracking and make a "phaser" or "blaster" in a hurry.
Energy based weapons are the wave of the future. A bullet proof vest is no match for a 40 watt plasma rifle.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SupremeKnowledge

Steel bullets are illegals in certain states. Aluminum could do... Aluminum is basically the same price than lead... but how does it affects ballistic and penetration power?

Not to mention, to produce aluminum, you need a boatload of electricity...

Copper is way too pricey. A lb of of Aluminum/Lead is around 0.90$... and a lb of copper is 3.24$... Bullets would get much more expensive.

BTW what those pieces of filth don't understand in SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED?

Taxing a fundamental right... what's next? A tax when you want to protest?

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Thank God I already have all of the bullet forms for all of my guns, and a sizable surplus of lead ingot. (not to mention cases, powder, primers, jackets, etc...)

I'll just make my own. Eff the EPA. Bunch of dipstick paperpushers.

Didn't do a damn thing when my neighbor was burning 1/2 full pesticide jugs in a open burn with roofing shingles and old tires and car batteries, (the smoke from that fire caused me and my pregnant wife to get very sick, as well as killing my dog and cats) but, hell no, we cant let a handfull of gun owners shoot guns that throw lead.

Does anyone know about how much lead the USA goes thru in a year? (civilian ammo use only?)

The only way the little amount of lead comming out of a gun can do any harm, is if you are catching it.

We should put a common sence ban on the EPA.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost of Chewie

Yep. I suggest everyone do their ammo buys before November 1... which is apparently the date this non-sense goes into effect.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Alluminum bullets? HUH??

Well the trajectory would be flatter, but the knock-down power would suffer unless you used a "heavy" alloy of Alluminum. (but if you did the feds would probabilly be all over you for using "penetrator" rounds.)

What dont they understand about "shall not be infringed"?

Short answer: ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!

[edit on 8/25/2010 by Ghost of Chewie]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
One thought for ALL fellow shooters out there: Get a reloading press, buy bullet forms for each of your calibers, and a surplus of lead and reloading supplies.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
? in england you can get air rifle pelets that are just like lead.
they cost the same? will try to find out more.
so dont wory!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

They can have all of my ammo.

I just don't wanna have to clean up the mess when they're done taking it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
They can have all of my ammo.

I just don't wanna have to clean up the mess when they're done taking it.

AMEN!! They can have mine too!

In increments:
36 grain for my .22 LR
124 grain for my 9mm
158 grain for my .38 Special and .357 Mag.
230 grain for my .45 ACP
240 grain for my .44 Mag.
325 grain for my .50 AE

69 grain for my .223
170 grain for my .308 .30-06 and .30-30
180 grain for my .300 H&H Mag. and 7.62 x 54
196 grain for my 8mm Mauser
250 grain for my .338 Lapua Mag.
450 grain for my .416 Rigby
500 grain for my .458 Lott
570 grain for my .500 Nitro Express
750 grain for my .50 BMG

Etcetera, etcetera...........

All I gotta say to the EPA is:

If your dumb enough, come and get them!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Lead is about only metal that will work properly for hunting and self defense purposes. Considering that the vast majority of spent lead ends up in the dirt of firing ranges I don't see where there's a problem.

More scare tactics? Glad I got stocked up long ago, as this would double the price of ammo.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

They have bullets with out lead in them it's not new.
However there IMO not as good. And the price as of now can be cheaper.

I reload my ammo so i use what i trust and yes its a bronze tip FMJ .308 bullet with lead in it.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Interesting if the EPA must decide if lead from bullets is harmful for the environment but why do they approve of fluoride in tap water?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Our own government could barely afford to make this switch. I can't see this ever getting through.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

And would the cops have to stop? what about the military? And what about the mercury in the "green" lights we have in our house or the mercury in all the rivers?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join