It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software Predicts Criminal Behavior

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Software Predicts Criminal Behavior

abcnews.go.com

New crime prediction software being rolled out in the nation's capital should reduce not only the murder rate, but the rate of many other crimes as well.

If the software proves successful, it could influence sentencing recommendations and bail amounts.

Using an algorithm they developed, they found a subset of people much more likely to commit homicide when paroled or probated

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
How about we think about a bit of context with respect to analyzing people based on what are potentially predictive patterns?

Using this kind of computing is outrageous, when it defines what "type" of person you are likely to be and what you may do in the future. I don't care how many potential crimes the software prevents - and how can those "prevented" crimes be dispositively likled to the software or the more aggressive monitoring?

Insurance underwriters use these kinds of guidlines and that is one of the reason that the healthcare system is in the shape it is, with people going bankrupt due to pre-existing conditions.

It will be interesting to see what variables they are purposefully choosing to omit from the analysis - the ACLU will have a field day with this. It has been proven that boys born to single mothers are more likely to commit crime. It is also true that there are demographic portions of the society where out of wedlock births are far more common than other groups.

So a Baptist born to a middle-class, two parent family who lives in a decent neighborhood is going to receive less supervision than a kid growing up in a non-religous family who lives in a poor neighborhood?

How about the simple fact that kids in the inner-city are more likely to be in the criminal justice system than their surburban counter parts simply because the inner-cities are more heavily policed than the suburbs? Afterall it is only the crimes that folks know about that get considered as variables in the software.

Ted Bundy, David Berkowicz, the Hillside stranglers, John Wayne Gacy would never be considered "high risk" individuals using this methodology.

There is also the issue about someone who is granted less serious supervision that because of that lax supervision gets into more trouble.

This is so wrong on so many levels.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I agree completely with what you say and just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your post.

This is freaking scary, If we start being prosecuted or treated differantly because of crimes we MIGHT commit then in my opinion it will eventually come to a point where certian people are sterilized so they will not pass on these tendancies.

~meathead

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This sounds like thought crime. You are arrested on the grounds that because you thought something it means that at some time in the future you might commit a crime. Sounds perfectly logical in a world written by George Orwell.

I trust that as much as I trust this web bot thing I hear so much about here on ATS.

Raist

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike Stivic

This is freaking scary, If we start being prosecuted or treated differantly because of crimes we MIGHT commit then in my opinion it will eventually come to a point where certian people are sterilized so they will not pass on these tendancies.

This isnt really a big leap in logic. We started a war and killed a buttload of people because they MIGHT have WMDs and if they did they MIGHT use them against us at some point.

We are in the process of trying to start a war with Iran because it MIGHT be developing nuclear weapons which it MIGHT use against the US and its allies.

If we as a nation let "well it MIGHT happen" be ground for action against people, nations, etc., we should not be surprised or dismayed if and when the people who used that logic on others use it on us too.

I do wonder how our homicidal leaders would stand up to that program however. If we are going to have it, I say we use all this "thought reading" technology on our leaders first.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
very disturbing
a related topic here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I do wonder how our homicidal leaders would stand up to that program however. If we are going to have it, I say we use all this "thought reading" technology on our leaders first.

Agreed. They are the ones starting wars resulting in the death of many people while they sit back, tell us it's all okay and collect our money, time and intelligence.

When will that be factored into this algorithm?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Can't believe the're trying this out in Washington DC first.

I mean what if the first people the system "fingers" are the obama administration and all their supporters in congress?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Yeah. I saw this in a movie... Didn't end well.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Yes, Minority Report ...

Another slippery slope being created IMO that needs to be thought through to its logical conclusion.

Can you imagine the highway patrol pulling you over because their system said you were going to be speeding 5 miles further down the road?

Or maybe the system will be refined to to the point where they don't do anything except send you a monthly bill for all the fines and fees for the crimes you will be committing ...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Using my simple algorithm and prediction software, I have determined that the pro-government party and the so called "elite class" plan to commit massive crimes against humanity in the upcoming years.

I guess that means it's true! I used math see.

Let's haul em all off to jail. No need for a trial my maths proved it all.

I love how this is a two-way street.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

That software already knew we were gonna bash it.

I hope it doesn't take offense.

Never piss off a robot.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

What is disturbing is that it parallels what is going on in Russia with the new powers given to state security. Same nonsense, better marketing, less honesty. Some benefit of being the world's greatest advertising/spin power.

MOSCOW, June 11 (Reuters) - Russia's parliament on Friday voted to boost the powers of the successor to the Soviet KGB, allowing it to summon people it believes are about to commit a crime and threaten jail for those who disobey its orders.

Read more: www.kyivpost.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Hhhmmm...what an interesting correlation. Who says the global intel agencies/corporations aren't cooperating?

I don't like this trend...not even a bit.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

The pieces, when put together paint a very troubling picture.

Massive collection of individual data from web history to credit/debit card transactions. Other purchases in cash when used on any type of reward card. Phone transactions, including the process being contemplated where even disposable cells will require ID to purchase. Bank transactions under the "know your customer" and Patriot Act, collection of data regarding what you are watching on your TV via cable and satellite providers, "black boxes" being installed in cars to track mileage, locations, etc, street cameras all over the place, watching popular locals, facial recognition, full body scanners in public buildings and now reported in vans.

More is out there. When you factor in the cost of storage, massive computing power available and the elites who know what is best for us the infrastructure is already in place for a very scary world.

The world is likely far scarier than most people even realize

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
all people are different.

Minds do not work the same.

People like Van Gogh were insane just as much as a murderer, but he chose painting over murder.

I recall minority report all too well.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
if the actual murder ratio is say one in onehundred in this group, then ninetynine innocent people will get extra punishment and harrassment for nothing but potential......
This is egregious and it cannot stand.
Time to start thinking about regime change boys.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Ya the web bot thing is a lie. I would know since I am a software developer. Now about this OP story. I would say they would be nuts to rely on software too much. They are ahead of their time. Computers soon in years to come will out run humans capacity and will start to be able to do all of our tasks and more. If the government or humans think every year we need to rely more and more and more on computers and robots our society will soon collapse. Everyone needs to be able to work and I doubt everyone is going to be forced to be robot or computer programmers in the future. I am getting off topic so let me get back on it. So what I am saying is that we are relying on computers to do stuff for us. like I said a computer is as smart as the person who builds it. So I doubt this software is 100% accurate. I can see what they would be doing is nothing but using many physiology formulas that will detect a pattern of data that would indicate the person is going to do a crime or is thinking about it. I don't see how they can legally convict based on a piece of software that says your going to be a criminal soon. It's like back in the day where people would yell she's a witch and convict them based on opinion or suspension. If this is true and they decide to use this software to convict people then that goes to show you that this country isn't about justice it's about how many people we can blame.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

All these things are rubbish. My life has been ruined by minority report garbage techs for 18 years now in london, and guess what crackpot police, i still have not committed any crimes.

These things are garbage, and like the film, there is no way of ever knowing if someone will commit a crime fact.

My life has proven that minority report techs are garbage. The police use them to target people who do nothing and will do nothing, so they can pretend that a person may do something. Get this crackpots who who these softwares and such, every person may do something, clowns.

The police in london have in effect murdered my life for nothing, based on crackpot minority report garbage stuff like this.

[edit on 8/30/2010 by andy1033]

new topics

top topics

join