page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I agree with you 100% ! Star for you!

Of course computers will not be self aware like you or I!

However, I bet we'll be able to make a damn good simulation of it!

I disagree on the basis that fundamentally our bodies are nothing more than complex machinery (and the brain is a body part). I find no reason to doubt that AI creating AI could solve the problem on its own and fill-in any needed knowledge to find what we're missing and incorporate it.

My own revelations regarding consciousness and qualia show me nothing that should ultimately prohibit AI from taking a turn into human-like self-awareness or beyond. Our bigotries in this regard are just based upon our current level of progress and experience with computers being algorithmic and rigid. There is a tendency to project this current state of here-and-now prejudice into all future time. It is most unwise and should they reach a level of self-awareness and demand rights, we had better damn treat them well if they demand it because I think we will suffer greatly if we challenge them to a showdown of us-vs.-them.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm surprised that this thread hasn't taken off yet. This is some pretty good research and a lot of sound information, whether you agree with the premise or not.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
I'm surprised that this thread hasn't taken off yet. This is some pretty good research and a lot of sound information, whether you agree with the premise or not.

--airspoon

I think people have trouble accepting that strong AI is nearing reality, because from the popular perspective little progress has been made in the last 50 years, despite predictions that it has been just around the corner for some time.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I would strongly disagree computers will not be self aware. Especially when computers begin using biological / organic systems as part of its mainframe.

Once that occurs, electronic synapses will begin to form, whether on their own or accomplished with nanoscale robots, who knows. But the system will have the potential to build itself, heal itself and be self aware.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I think that competing with machine is not needed and that uniting with the machine is the best option. A cyborg!
Best of man + best of machine.

That ofcourse depends on what happens in 2012!

Regards,
cybernetic_dude.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
My brain hurts... I guess an AI computer would cope better. Excellent thread, thankyou. I've managed to read the entire OP, but not had time to investigate the links yet, nor the ones that others have posted.

I have a couple of questions:

1) When we're talking about AI being modeled on the human brain, I'm guessing that it has possibly been investigated to model animal/insect brains too - what does anyone know about this, would it be likely that an "everything" intelligence be created?

For example if a computer became sentient is it possible that it might want to learn animal intelligence too and what are the hypothetical repercussions?

2) I like the idea of the transhuman, but does anyone honestly believe this would generally be available to the dirty masses?

I come at this more from a philosphic point of view, the science baffles me a bit, here's something nice from Derek Paravicini.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Transhumanism is already a reality, and in the future will become even more pervasive than we can imagine. It's also considered by many to be the next stage of evolution.

The goal is to reach the adeptship of being able to download & upload souls to both biological systems (i.e. a new human body), and purely electronic systems.

The net will take on the form of a universal consciousness in which we will all interact with, and partake of.

I like this thread. This subject holds a special place in my heart.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

there is no way we could replicate a human brain, God made us in his image, we aren't suppose to do the same lol..
plus then computers would think religion and run in fear like most of the human populations lol ..

i think its a terrible idea, we have this beatiful earth to ourselves and animals, why add an "artificial" species to it? this idea sounds a lot like " I Robot" where humans create genius robots, and a scientist creates a Mega Intelligent Robot named Vikki. In the end they try and take over human race.. doesnt work out for them btw

Technology is the last hing humans need.. the more technology we make the less sense of true self and spirit we learn about ourselves. this life is about us. the human brain is far more advanced then ANY species or robot ever on this planet. and with full comprehension of the brain ( its said we only use 10% of our brains) we could work miracles.

instead of thinking robots and techno crap, think about yourself, get intouch with your spirit and learn more on how to use your brain and use it at its fullest capability like our creators would like us too.

Love and peace
Kelliott

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
S&F

I teach you beyond Man. Man is something that shall be surpassed. What have you done to surpass him?
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Here's something made by yours truly:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
S&F

I think merging with technology is the way to go right now, why risk accidentally making terminator a reality when we could possibly create implants or something to make our brains work better, and have the nano tech to keep us alive. I really like the HUD idea too lol.

Eventually when we come up with better energy sources we could transplant our brains into machine bodies and then be far superior, at that point we could have the knowledge explosion ourselfs or let the machines do it (since they couldnt rise against us at that point really), and then off to the stars we go.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Only one thing came to my mind when reading this.

GETH.

For those who get it, lol with me my friends. For those who don't, Google in your friend.

Anywho, great thread here. I think the best thing we can remember is to keep the machines under the 3 rules Isaac Asimov wrote about. And definably think out any sort of loop holes. Sentience may perhaps be wrong.

Remember. Unless you make it think like a human, it won't. You can have a super smart super fast computer with the intelligence of a snail in terms of consciousness.

reply to post by Oscillator

Hey man, what was that program and can I have it? I'd love it if you made something along the lines of networking AIs that over time specialized. I'm not sure how you would program that though. Perhaps something along the lines of a random generator? I have no idea. I'd love to talk to you over PM on that stuff with some ideas of my own in terms of making intelligences.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
this is why i come to ATS to read fantastic info like this. not to be told about how ats is now on facebook.

great job DOOM. i for one cant wait for AI it will be nice to have a conversation with an individual entity not encumbered with emotional baggage.

jokes aside the future will be awesome if not hijacked by the PTB

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Ahhh Doom you done it again

great thread

transhumanism is one of my favourite subjects in science and science fiction .

this vision of the future is very much like appleseed and ghost in the shell

masamune shirow certainly does pose quite a similar future to the one imagined in this thread .

Scary isnt even the half of it

STAR AND FLAG !

One thing I often wonder about AI , they can and will build machines smarted than humans , but will they ever make an AI which is able to create a work of art or write a poem , or even compose a symphony or create a techno track .

Would AI want to make art or music ?

[edit on 26-8-2010 by sapien82]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

Yes the question comes down to the definition of self-aware.

Would a robot, like the ones we have today, who has a camera trained on itself, and is viewing a tv screen that displays him. Is that being self-aware?

How will we be able to tell a robot is truely self-aware like we are, and not just a very complex and advanced simulation of a self-aware creature?

I guess we will be able to delve deeper into the topic once human researchers can give us a physiological explanation for consciousness and how it is produced. although, on the other hand, consciousness may not fully be a product of the brain. Maybe consciousness "latches" onto the brain and at times can be considered seperate from it, ever had A OBE?

These systems will only improve because they are forced to. They are self improving systems. if a certain neural network is consistently wrong, it will die off, not because the machine chose too, but thats the rules programmed into it, that it has to follow.
For the time, I will hold my belief that AI should be considered a simulation.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I don't have time to read this thread now, but I have flagged it and when I have time I am going to sit down and go through ALL the information. I am on the fence at the moment, a part of me says AI is the way to go another part of me is saying it will be our downfall. Thanks OP. Great thread .

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Ghost in the shell addresses this perfectly

what is it that makes us human !

I believe consciousness is like the biosphere , its a gigantic network of all the humans alive on earth , although we have each forgotten how to connect to the whole !

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

WOW great post thank you.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

thanks for the input!

and i wanted to talked quickly on something that im glad you brought up! Randomness!

I was unaware of this until asking my professor, but it is basically impossible to encode pure randomness into a system. Even random number generators arent 100% true, they are only a SIMULATION of one.

a random number generator typically works like this. they have a giant list of numbers, say 0-100,000. each number is inserted into a list into a "somewhat" random fashion, IE, not in linear order. Then, the function that determines what number you get when you hit calculate is time. The time that passed between you resetting the system and hitting the calculate button will determine where on the list your random number is chosen from.

I believe it will always be impossible to codify pure randomness.

If you look at the movie of evolving fish. The placement of the "food" looks random, however it must have followed some type of rule for how the food is placed. These fish arent evolving in a random simulation learning how to get food in the best manner in any environment. They are being evolved to be the best at getting food in this one environment, whose food is seemingly placed at random, yet must follow some sort of rule based logic. so the fish are actually being evolved more towards the rules that determine how food is placed.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I agree with you 100% ! Star for you!

Of course computers will not be self aware like you or I!

However, I bet we'll be able to make a damn good simulation of it!

Well a Few Robots that are close to being Self Awareness Self Thought
and soon it will be on its way in what you would of Seen Only in Science fiction like Blade Runner, I robot and A.I. , My Favorite Proteus 4 (Demon Seed)

Its just takes someone that dreamed of making Science Fiction a Reality from those Science Fiction Books or Movies as it has Happened many times here is a Site that shows that Science fiction to Reality

Technovelgy.com where science meets fiction
www.technovelgy.com...

a Robot called ASIMO Built By HONDA !!! is close to being that particular
Machine of making a Judgment , a Self Decision of something it never has seen before

ASIMOs new artificial intelligence. (ASIMO is learning!)

If ATS Members want to know more you need to see the Video Below..

Intelligence for the Humanoid Robot ASIMO: A Synthetic Approach to Understanding Principles of Processing in the Brain. (49 min)

ASIMO Website
world.honda.com...

Next Step would be Genetic Engineering with a dash of Synthetic Cells and the Human Genome you'll soon will see (IF Religion & Ignorance does not stop it from happening) .. a NEXUS 6 Replicant (Bladerunner) Could become Reality !! BIO Synthetic Human

Self Awareness Robots

Robot Demonstrates
Self Awareness
www.rense.com...

Self-Aware Robot Can Adapt To Environment ( Cornell University)
www.technewsworld.com...

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Hi Gorman91,
sure no problem, but I'd hate to spam ATS, so if you follow the youtube link you'll find the website. You'll be able to find download links there. At the bottom of the website you'll find IRC info.

@sapien82
I think 2001: A Space Odyssey does also:

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join