It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Letting Go of God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
So I found this video of Julia Sweeney. I'm interested in what both sides are going to contribute to all of the things said here. This should be very entertaining at the very least. For the record, this is simply a different angle for me. My posting this vid says nothing about my own long standing beliefs. No one should be afraid to watch this. I watched it and my faith survived. Any way, without more from me,
here's

Letting go of God

This is the continuence

[edit on 25-8-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Randy buddy...

Letting Go of God

When I saw the title of the thread and the author, the first thing that came to my mind was, "He's come to his senses..!!!"

Then, I continued to read...but, let-downs aside, this is just another persons view (though presented with more zing than most) on the subject.

I watched it and my faith survived

She knows no more or less than anyone else interested in the topic...so yes, your faith remains intact.

Good to see you seeking 'alternative' views buddy...that is what you were doing, right..?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Great stuffy Randy, very funny. South Park did a pretty good episode all about Mormons too.

One thing we all have to agree on is that human belief systems are often very weird. From the virgin birth to Lord Xenu and beyond. Sometimes I really do wonder where we came up with all this stuff and how on Earth we managed to get so many other people to believe in it.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

I have to seek alternative views or be a WALL builder. That's the way faith is. It's strength should be tested not isolated and protected.

You should know by now if I were ever going to come to my senses
it would have dun happened.

Sorry about the psych job.

Titen

That is something to take into consideration for sure. That's something you can even build on. Like, Why the hell isn't God more sensable ? You
know , like Bubba or Mark Twain.
He should be as easy to understand
as any country boy. How very true every belief system has to be so unbelievable from the neutral. The thing that gets me turned back to faith everyt ime is, The alternatives are even more unbelievable.

What are ya gonna do?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
She is an awesome speaker and funny to boot. Thanks for sharing, very interesting indeed. I was only able to watch about half of it (I have a afternoon staff meeting) but so far it was great.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Alright Airspoon, maybe by the time you're back I will have them sorted better. Kind of tricky the way they have them numbered.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

She's been out there on a speaking/stand up tour for a couple years now. She's funny and she hits the right notes for those that are still or had been dogmatic Catholics. Her monologue alone will not push you in one direction or the other. What she manages to do is resonate with those of similar life experiences that are entertaining similar skeptical views. God or no God, it's always comforting to know we are not alone. And that, she delivers.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

"I have to seek alternative views or be a WALL builder. That's the way faith is. It's strength should be tested not isolated and protected. "

***Why do you have to seek alternatives?
Or be a wall builder?
What kind of alternatives?
Is the wall to keep you in or something out?

Faith is belief in something you have no evidence for.
Believing is not the same thing as knowing.
Question everything.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
One of my goals on ATS is to turn Randy into a filthy agnostic like myself. Having him post TED videos feels like a great success...TED is simply AMAZING and thought provoking. I think I haven't seen a single bad TED video, they're all really cool.

I don't wanna hijack your thread, but here's 2 TED videos you might enjoy

Seriously, everyone should go to TED!!

PS: Randy, u just got ur first star from me for posting a TED video

[edit on 25-8-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
So Randy, do you not accept the commentary (i won't say evidence since she just mentions some offhandly) she presents and think her views of evolution and intelligent design are incorrect?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

She's been out there on a speaking/stand up tour for a couple years now. She's funny and she hits the right notes for those that are still or had been dogmatic Catholics. Her monologue alone will not push you in one direction or the other. What she manages to do is resonate with those of similar life experiences that are entertaining similar skeptical views. God or no God, it's always comforting to know we are not alone. And that, she delivers.
reply to post by Hemisphere

K here's the deal. I woke up this morning and what ever channel the bedroom TV was on she was what started my morning. I woke up listening to her monologue. So I got up and watched the rest of it because
she was hilarious for one thing. Also she was using every good arguement I've come across here ATS.
So It's not like I hadn't heard any of this stuff before. I pretty much posted
it to show I have no hostility towards anything anyone believes or any
conclusions they've come to.
I still think it's ludicrous not to believe their is an ultimate supreme being.
Someone responsible for all that is. That we once had a relationship with
this being and he has a plan in the works, so it can be that way again.
I believe this,( when it does happen) will be the greatest benefeit to all mankind on every level. Greater than anything we can imagine.
What if science had a source of knowledge to turn to instead hypothesizing
and experimenting and theorising.
What if the reason he made mankind was that thru us he could reproduce himself.

If is the word I can't get around.

Life as a space between two nothings. Does not compute.

Mr.X

One of my goals on ATS is to turn Randy into a filthy agnostic like myself. Having him post TED videos feels like a great success...TED is simply AMAZING and thought provoking. I think I haven't seen a single bad TED video, they're all really cool.

And God knows you've put some effort in to it.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yeah. For me its not about what's believable but more about what is actually evident. So its not like there couldn't be a God, its just without evidence I fall back to the default skeptical position, which is atheism. If we accept too much on faith we end up with a lot of wild beliefs with very little if any evidence to support them.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Yeah. For me its not about what's believable but more about what is actually evident. So its not like there couldn't be a God, its just without evidence I fall back to the default skeptical position, which is atheism. If we accept too much on faith we end up with a lot of wild beliefs with very little if any evidence to support them

And at the end of the day Titen. That must be supported. You and some
others have made me see that at the very least. Mr. XYZ the rest know
who they are. It's all so super fning fantastic when you think about it.
That's why the debates will continue to rage.

Disappear

So Randy, do you not accept the commentary (i won't say evidence since she just mentions some offhandly) she presents and think her views of evolution and intelligent design are incorrect

It's like one of the points I've always tried to get across. My thread AI meet God was an attempt at this. If a man was just suddenly zapped into existence fully conscious as a young adult.

A totally neutral human being free of all bias. What would be most
believable to him.

My answer is, he would think we were all looped. Every last one of us.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
At least you haven't told me that "my mother is pulling # out of her ass" like some other evolution/atheism opponent just 5min ago

Everyone's entitled to their opinion as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or take anyone's freedom away. If you can't accept that, you're gonna live a very "angry" life...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

At least you haven't told me that "my mother is pulling # out of her ass" like some other evolution/atheism opponent just 5min ago

This is supposed to be someone who is a believer? Imposter! try'in to get you're goat. I would like to think. That's the best I could hope for. Some people
like to stir the pot as I'm sure you 're aware of. You can't go away thinking that crap is the norm. Or is from the same people who are in your community trying to make sure the homeless have a meal and place to bed down at night. I know you're better than that and hopefully I've helped out in that respect. What thread is it anyways?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It's the thread that's trying to debunk evolution "once and for all". Chances of that happening on ATS are close to zero imo...

LINK

Can't believe you missed that one...you'll have some catching up to do, Titen and I already threw our first few punches

[edit on 25-8-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Can't believe you missed that one...you'll have some catching up to do, Titen and I already threw our first few punches

Well it's evidence to the fact that most of it is so redundant. I think I did look at it and if I make that call I usually don't weigh in and don't go back.
I have always tried to avoid that in my threads with whatever success.

Think I might pop in now though.

join