It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darwin May Have Been WRONG, New Study Argues

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Darwin May Have Been WRONG, New Study Argues

www.huffingtonpost.com

A new study published in Biology Letters argues that Charles Darwin's theory of evolution may have been wrong.

While Darwin argued that competition was the key force driving evolution, a research team from the University of Bristol argues that "living space" is in fact the primary driver. Michael Benton, a co-author of the study, said his team concluded that "competition did not play a big role in the overall pattern of evolution."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I love stuff like this. We just keep on discoverying new things and keep updating old theories.

It makes you wonder what we know today may be something entirely different tomorrow.

Even though it's prety much a new slant on survival of the fittest. And it doesn't necessarily mean Darwin was wrong. It probably just proves his case even more. It's a bit misleading. but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Very intresting, would like to readd but gotta to head to school right now.
Took biological Anthropology last year so reading this is gonna be some good fun. thanks for posting

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This is a bit of a stupid study. The need to survive and reproduce spurs competition. Part of the equation of species competition (and therefore evolution) is access to living space. The study is illogical. It adds nothing except the authors get on the ATS!

Regards

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I always thought that evolution was driven by enviroment as much as competition. It's probably a combination of things.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Can't be bothered to let this post stay - this creationist attracting tripe just isn't worth the effort.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Parallex]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I agree...This study seems to me a waste of time and energy...

You need to compete for living space...want proof? Go to a sold out concert in the general admission area.

I believe the geographical location had/has alot to do with evolution also.

Im white because my great great great great ancestors hailed from a place where the sun wasnt so harsh. Their skin didnt need to be dark because they didnt risk being burned so much!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I believe that there is not one single main force, rather a combination of forces with one being the main factor sometimes while other times it might be something else. Why does only one force have to be the main driver for evolution? What if one force takes the lead sometimes, while another force takes it the other times.

The theory of evolution just seemed so right and obvious, that when I first learned of it as a child, I couldn't believe that this was a break through find. Of course I was a child then and didn't understand the variables of the past.

--airspoon

[edit on 25-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wise Man

The great break in the organic chain between man and his nearest allies, which cannot be bridged over by any extinct or living species, has often been advanced as a grave objection to the belief that man is descended from some lower form; but this objection will not appear of much weight to those who, from general reasons, believe in the general principle of evolution. Breaks often occur in all parts of the series, some being wide, sharp and defined, others less so in various degrees; as between the orang and its nearest allies—between the Tarsius and the other Lemuridae between the elephant, and in a more striking manner between the Ornithorhynchus or Echidna, and all other mammals. But these breaks depend merely on the number of related forms which have become extinct. At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilised races of man will almost certainly exterminate, and replace, the savage races throughout the world. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes, as Professor Schaaffhausen has remarked, will no doubt be exterminated. The break between man and his nearest allies will then be wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilised state, as we may hope, even than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as now between the negro or Australian and the gorilla.
en.wikiquote.org...

This is clearly an observation and a prediction, not an endorsement of genocide.

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

[edit on Wed Aug 25 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wise Man

Once again another anti-evolutionist misquoting Darwin. This site should correct your misconceptions.

Did evolution make Darwin a racist?

Furthermore, Darwin merely started the modern study of evolution, which has been greatly expanded upon in the intervening decades. If his theory was completely off base it would have been discovered by the millions of biologists that have studied evolution since Darwin's time. Unless of course you're suggesting that every biologist who has existed since Darwin's time is a raging racist including the many that are not white.

Now, as a final comment to everyone on this board against evolution, please check your facts first and please stop trying to discredit Darwin. He did not recant on his death bed. He was not racist. He was not seeking to destroy Christianity. And furthermore, no matter what you say about Darwin it does nothing to discount the rest of the evidence that has been collected over the years that has been combined into the modern evolution synthesis.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm not sure how this thread has anything to do with creationism, but Darwin was used by almost every evolutionist at the time. His theories were orginally based on the variations of the finch's beak and he did feel environment was a factor.

Some of his theories were totally wrong, but his ideas began the science of evolution. He definitely appeared to be a racist, but he strongly opposed slavery. If a person came upon a tribe of savage, cannibals, would we assume they are lower in intellect? No, they aren't. They have adapted to their environment with little outside influence and know no other way. They still have the intelligence to communicate and survive.

The native Americans, to me, had an ideal life, but to the Europeans they were savages that needed to be exterminated.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wise Man

Originally posted by BingeBob
I agree...This study seems to me a waste of time and energy...

People like Charles Darwin are hired to make the grade school white kids feel cooler.

Oh, would you knock it off! I don't feel like being insulted today.

Darwin based his 'evolution of man' theories on PRIMITVE, ABORIGNAL TRIBES!

Yes, it was wrong!

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Onboard2]

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wise Man
Biggest lie in history.

What about the Eskimos...?

There wasn't much white people living in Europe till the Renaissance.
All the people there had darker skin.

God, you're full of crap.

Inuit (and other North American natives) are desdendant from Asian migrations after the last Ica Age, hence the eye shape, pigmentation etc. Evolution doesn't do much in 10,000 years.

And as for "not much white people in Europe until the Rennaisance"..WTF? I can barely be bothered to rebutt this, as it is such hogwash. A simple study of European history will show, as far back as Pre-Roman times, that the people were predominantly "white".

Do you honestly expect us to believe that Europe was full of black people until the 1500's and then, suddenly, mutated lepers just wiped them out and removed ANY trace of this from the history books?

I think, actually, it is you who is the racist. Calling white people "mutated lepers" and spreading blatant lies yourself. I am white and I can tell you, we do have pigmentation. What the hell do you think a suntan is? Do you even know what an albino is or what leprosy is?

Probably not.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I agree that this doesnt disprove competition at all. We are still competing for living space. Ask other species. Ask the Native Americans.

Im glad you posted it. I am a huge afficianado of all things evolutionary, but this person has hardly added anything Earthshaking, nor have they detracted at all from Darwin, imho.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
Can't be bothered to let this post stay - this creationist attracting tripe just isn't worth the effort.

I know riiight? I mean how dare anyone challenge the golden calf.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
All sorts of animals mark and compete for territory of their own.....

Only somone so used to flipping open their bibles to be told what to do could miss something so obvious.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Please dont refer to Jesus as a golden calf. He was a LAMB of God. Not a calf. Making it golden doesnt help matters. Thank you for your cooperation.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
All of our worlds models of science are wrong!

The observer is the creator! Life is what you see in yourself! Science is nothing madness and insanity playing itself out!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join