It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you become healthy after living so unhealthy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have lived let’s say...unhealthy in the past and still do. Now I want to change this lifestyle; live healthy, eat right. I have done a lot of stupid things in the past. Smoke, McDonalds. I have had a few CT scans, and now know that in the future my risks of getting cancer rise significantly since I am in my early 20s. Now I want to reverse this. I need the ATS medical experts to help me out on this one. Hopefully this does not get downgraded to BTS (as most people know once they go to BTS no one will post in them). What can I honesty do? Become a vegan? Vitamins? Anti- Aging pills?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

what do you do for a living?

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Firstly, don't ask medical experts. If they knew how to make people healthy, would people be in the condition they're in now? Think about it.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Here are a few suggestions for healthy living. I'm not a medical expert. But, here are a few general basics:

1. Lots of fruits and veggies. Anything with antioxidants. If you have a local farmer's market, this is the freshest and best place to get them.

2. exercise

3. vitamins can't hurt.

4. Decrease soda intake.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Ariel]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The human body bounces back quite quickly and dramatically. Even after years upon years of unhealthy living, you can snap back into health and shape with a bit of effort and self control.

I suggest starting in steps. Quitting smoking is always a good start, but sometimes that is the most difficult to kick initially, and you don't want to start off with a series of percieved failures.

Eat meat, but eat more plants than animals is the key...hold off red meats for like once or maybe twice a week max, and cut out pork products entirely, or just on occasion...no bacon, sausage, etc..

Walk first...then brisk walks. If you got cable, the exercise channel on demand has some good walking programs on, 1-2-3 mile walks (dont be fooled, by the end of them, you will be a sweaty mess) are great and you will quickly notice a change both in your physical, and mental health.

Wake up a bit earlier, drink lots of water and if you can stand it, vegetable juice. Don't undereat..that is a misconception..just eliminate as much sugars as possible. Cut out ice cream, chocolate, chips, and soda as best you can...or just have your "cheat day" and thats it..say every friday night or whatnot you allow for that extra devil food...a reward for doing well that week.

Abit of resistance training (weight training) will be very helpful.

Get a colonic massage...wont go into detail here, but a good step in starting new is to literally wash away the old...you dont have to do it often, but its a good idea after the years of caked up garbage to flush out...most don't do this step though...but from what I hear, it really helps out in the recovery quickly.

Finally, keep a positive attitude...don't expect 2 weeks from now to be Mr. Universe...keep a low key but constant change in your lifestyle...its not a diet or exercise routine your doing, its a full lifestyle change, so make sure to make the compromises you believe you can live with not just next month, but in 20 years from now...dont crash diet, don't overexert yourself, a slow and steady pace to where you want to be is the critical element.

I recommend also getting an electronic cigarette for when your gonna quit smoking...it takes the edge off.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
First of I didn’t mean real medical experts I just wanted people that had expertise, they don’t have to be doctors. Second; what’s the point in posting on a forum that asks a serious question when you do not give one?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
Firstly, don't ask medical experts. If they knew how to make people healthy, would people be in the condition they're in now? Think about it.

Actually, the people are in the condition they are in now not because they listen to the advice of medical experts, but because they simply do not listen.

Does any medical expert you know of suggest cigarettes and mcdonalds?

A person can give the best advice, but of it is not followed, is it the advice that is at fault, or the willpower of the person given the advice?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
What can I honesty do?

"risk of getting cancer" if one of the most overused terms ever, basically you can get cancer from every crap, the chance is mostly minimal.

And it would be better to eat vegetables than some pills. Frozen vegetables by the way are a lot more healthier than the so called "fresh stuff" from markets, because you don't know how long that stuff laid around and how much vitamins it already lost.
Also stop eating fast food because that's basically the lowest quality crap. Make Hamburgers yourself if you like them, they'll taste way better than the McDonald's #

Everything else doesn't matter that much and please, don't listen to the stupid vegan propaganda you wil encounter here. Because the best thing to do is just enjoy life and don't worrying to much, because that will make you sick in the end.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Thanks you Saturn for posting something useful

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I used to be very healthy then the last few years i let myself slide due to work and time with the kids and what not,then a few months ago i decided to sort myself out,i started with my diet i cut out meat for a while and replaced it with fish i also eat alot of leafy greens and more fruit. Then i flushed my liver and gallbladder with grapefruit, organic apple juice,extra virgin olive oil,apples for 1 week adding cardio exercises i.e running,sit ups,push ups,pull ups. I also quit smoking and drinking and stressing out over silly things,i would also advise some kind of breathing exercise its amazing how much that helps, some kind of meditation. Hope this helps you abit but also get a good frame of mind picture what you want and go for it goodluck.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Mind over matter. You must resist the temptation of unhealthy activities. A balanced diet is key. Take your weight divided by 2; this is how many ounces of water you should consume each day. Eliminate soda and fast food completely. As for smoking, I reccomend giving snuff (nasal) tobacco a shot as an alternative. It is the healthiest (and in my opinion most enjoyable) way to consume tobacco/receive nicotine.
www.wikihow.com...

Good luck.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well, at least you're aware this thread will be moved to BTS.

Dietarily, avoid carbohydrates. Except fruits and green leafy vegetables and maybe sweet potatoes.

Stay active by participating in outdoor activities. Why? Vitamin D and exercise.

Live as stress free as possible....

Edit to add: Roll your own cigarettes.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I'd cut out fast food first, you may find watching super size me helpful. Also try and stretch everyday, to me you will just find you get so much more energy and thus need less food because you won't feel as hungry, chances are you overeat a little bit.

Just remember, just by eating right and exercising all the time won't make you superman. A healthy body is a byproduct of a happy and balanced mind.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Work out with weight lifting
do exercise like pushups sit ups cardio enhancinng workout and switch between weight lifting and exercise
eat right. I found eating 1 large meal of whatever you like even fast food helps as long as your other to meals are just snacks
drink lots of water
stop smoking
should help

[edit on 8/25/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I have not hit 20 yet...but I will give you some advice I have taken MYSELF.

Not the usually "eat healthy, exercise, bs".

I am by no means an Olympic champion. In fact, I consider myself "normal". But others call me fit...so I am not to sure.

Anyways. Drink HEALTHY. It is amazing how much the things you drink effect you. I went from drinking 3-5 sodas a day to almost one a week. Now I just drink water and juice/milk/etc. Find a juice or something healthy you like and stick to it. Sure, juice is high in sugars, but it is FAR better compared to soda.

The benefits I had? No acne, more energy, less internal pain, and I feel much more alive.

Be careful about sweets/chips. Do your best to avoid satisfying a hunger with a bag of potato chips. Go out to subway and get a sub instead - even with cheese and ranch!

I do not worry about calories. But I do my best to avoid sodas/junk food.

One more thing. Do your best to not get addicted to any medication unless you SERIOUSLY need it. Need fiber? Don't take pills, eat better. Need a certain vitamin? Incorporate a food that contains it. Have a little pain? Don't take that Advil, fight it off yourself.

I still see the doctor occasionally. Take the occasional medication (maybe steroids if I get infected with severe poison ivy).

On top of all that. Try to go to the gym at least once a week. Get a good work out.

Start doing everything a little bit better, and they will build off each other.

I know I do not want to be in pain when I am 30...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NJE03

That is one of my biggest problems,I don't drink
enough water.I drink coffee and tea,no sodas.I
just finished drinking a glass of vitamin water.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It is really pretty simple, one only needs to look at how the people lived and ate 100 or so years ago.

1.) Lots of exercise.
People really worked in the days of old. They didn't just plop down money for everything, If they wanted something they had to work for it.

2.) Water
We cannot survive without out water. Clean Water.

3.) Vegetables
Vegetables are actually alive and provide living nutrients to your body which is essential to nutrient absorption.
Eating healthy vegetables has many more healthy benefits than simply consuming Protein alone. Mainly in their containing FIBER which helps to clean your digestive system AND your arteries.
You should eat something Green everyday. Whether it be a Salad, Vegetables or for example I make cole slaw to serve with my summer meals of meat.
A piece of dead iceburg lettuce on a hamburger has little if any nutritional value. THe darker the color green the better.

4.) Protein
I say protein over meat , because there are many sources of Protein.
Protein is really what the body needs, regardless of the source.
Protein can be found in Meat of course but can also be found in Eggs, Fish, and even Beans. which is a great source because it is less taxing on your digestive system and beans for example provide a tremendous amount of fiber. Which as I'd pointed out early have benefits downstream so to speak.

So all in all, you need to look at the basics as to how people lived and ate 100 years ago.

If you aren't building fences , or plowing fields on a 100 acre farm for the day, just maybe you don't need that high calorie bacon and egg breakfast that people ate back then, because of of their laborious and enduring daily workload.

If you are sitting at a desk all day, take into consideration how many calories you are really burning and consider your caloric intake in food from that perspective. Are you getting any exercise ?

I have pointed this out before that you see very few overweight Europeans because they incorporate exercise and healthy eating in their daily life.

People walk and bicycle more. In the US you are considered poor if you walk any place !

Whereas driving your car to a fast food place and eating that way, explains why we have so many obese people in the United States.

By sticking to the basics of
Exercise
+
Vegetables
+
Protein

Including lots of water, clean water and...
Excluding Sugar which is a carbohydrate for example. And not on the list.

You will be considerably healthier from that perspective alone.

Good Luck !

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
make sure everything you eat is organic. i can say this...you can eat and drink as much as you want as long as its organic. do not eat this garbage they are feeding people these days....its sickening. organic is the way.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Funkydung]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This is what i did when i got fed up with my kind of lifstyle. I did always wake up tired, had little strenght physically aswell as mentally. Had my anxiety or how you spell it.

#1. Eat fruit!!! I had 1 kiwi, 1 banana, and 1 orange atlest a day. Some days i changed to an apple or something else. Basically 3 fruits a day.

#2 Water... loads of water in comparison to what i used to. Im having about 3 liters a day.

#3 ABSOLUTLEY NO SODA.

#4 Stay away from the candy.

#5 Have balanced meals during the day. Make sure you get your fibres, anitoxidants and vitamins.

#6 MOST IMPORTANT.... have an positive attitude and start to feel great and happy. Feel that you are doing good to yourself. Love yourself.

To bad my english stinks. This topic is of great conscern to me and id love to express myself better. I have made wonders in my life physically and mentally due to my eatinghabbits and i like to share them but this little post will sum it up.

Best of luck, though you have allready made it...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I am 24 years old and I think I can help you. I have went through the smoking, unhealthy eating and etc phase.

First what you need to know is that this won't be easy. In order to drop one habit it is best to pick up another.

If you quit smoking start exercising. It gives you something to do in exchange for a bad habit. I found that smoking was hard to let go due to over eating and such.

The only reason you overeat is because you need something to substitute instead of smoking. Working out will give you the good feeling you need to exchange habits.

With exercise comes the habit of healthy eating. You will put all those burgers to use when you work out, you need the protein.

Fast food is something that I have never been addicted to, but I am sure it is easier to quite than smoking.

All you can do is put one foot in at a time. Nothing comes easy but remember, it is easier to stay fit than to get fit. It is easier now than later when your bones will hurt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join