It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun is changing the rate of radioactive decay, and breaking the rules of chemistry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Another interesting article for the science minded people on ATS .

"The Sun is changing the supposedly constant rates of decay of radioactive elements, and we have absolutely no idea why. But an entirely unknown particle could be behind it. Plus, this discovery could help us predict deadly solar flares."

io9.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
that article is just way too much of a teaser
eager for more

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
maybe one of the electric universe people can explain this and give more insight? also there was a thread on here a few months ago about dark matter possibly being a part of the sun...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Perhaps there is something applying additional pressure or force onto the sun that is making it decay much faster. An excess of dark matter, or perhaps a wave of super-light space clouds are coming this way. Jee I don't know, not a chemist, but it is obviously something emerging.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by leira7]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Changes in vibration would have this effect too.

If atoms/molecules vibrate faster then thier reaction/decay timings would change to reflect that.

I can't wait to get more information on this as I think it is one of the more conclusive indicators that we maybe headed for some large scale changes in the near future. Although there are lots of theories and prophecies concerning what the future may hold, the idea that we may undergo a phase-change type of scenario actually seems plausible.

I could almost hear a 'click' when I read your post.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I bet it was an instrument effect.

You measure decays with electronics, after all, and electronics is susceptible to electromagnetic fields. A good solar flare can wreak micro-havoc on your circuit via Earth's magnetosphere.

There were all sorts of strange periodical dependencies of beam energies discovered at CERN when LEP was in operation (a predecessor to LHC). They found correlations with the moon (tidal distortion of crust) and local train schedule (return currents flowing in the ground cause magnetic fields). That just shows that instrumentation in nuclear physics is tricky business.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

You measure decays with electronics, after all, and electronics is susceptible to electromagnetic fields. A good solar flare can wreak micro-havoc on your circuit via Earth's magnetosphere.

True. But in the original article they found a periodicity which appeared to be related to the rotational period of the core, where the Sun's nuclear reactions take place.

And if the instrument was affected then it should be so for all types of nuclei.

If it is an authentic nuclear effect, the result (and magnitude thereof) probably should depend on the specific isotope.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

Nope.
They found a 33 day periodicity. They assume it is linked to the rotation of the Sun's core. We really have no idea what the rotation rate of the Sun's core is. Unless the change in decay rate is related to it. A bit circular.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Maybe our sun is simply a thermonuclear camp fire, when the 'wood' gets burned up someone/something has to fetch some more fire wood and throw it in the fire. Maybe some of these flares are where some entity is throwing something like metallic hydrogen in the furnace. There is so much as a species we just don't know.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

True. But in the original article they found a periodicity which appeared to be related to the rotational period of the core, where the Sun's nuclear reactions take place.

As Phage pointed out, this is not what is stated in the paper, it's a different period.

I can tell that the 33 day periodicity can have any number of explanations. For example, the secretary next door has her period on that day, and drinks more chamomile tea than usual -- and the water boiler she's using produces spikes on the power line. If you do experimental physics for a while, things like that no longer seem weird when it comes to delicate measurements.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
so carbon dating could be off my an exponential factor... i do not believe in the biblical time line for creation but this was just a thought.... maybe both sides are right... just not as old and not as young....

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

This was actually my first post in abovetopsecret but it was moved to skunk works.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
There is a prophecy that divine energy is coming from the source of creation and vibrating with all of matter by coming through the black hole in the center of our galaxy then to stars and then to the planets and everything on them. Thats what my research has shown at least.
edit on 21-4-2011 by crystalbeing because: provide link

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
There was an experiment done with DNA where a test tube with water and a test tube with DNA had an elecro magnetic field applied then the DNA projected its self into the water in the other tube and was able to interact with enzymes. This means DNA emits its own electromagnetic signals that imprint the DNA’s structure on other molecules. This experiment was done by a Nobel Prize winning scientist.
www.popsci.com...

This constitutes your light body. Your light body interacts with the new energy coming to Earth. The energy like all energy is made of vibrations. It resonates with you at the subatomic level. That starts a chain reaction with your light body which will interact with your DNA. Russian research by Gariaev showed that chromosomes function similar to programmable holographic biocomputers employing DNA’s own electromagnetic radiation. Their research shows that DNA is genetic script that allows chromosomes to produce and receive information contained in these scripts in order to encode and decode them Chromosomes assemble themselves into a holographic lattice designed to generate and interpret highly stable spiral standing waves of sound and light that govern most biological functions.
3dmolecularcomputing.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Solare flare. I found this website. lease not. copy and paste it into google or binwww.reuters.com... Hope this helps you all out.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

There were all sorts of strange periodical dependencies of beam energies discovered at CERN when LEP was in operation (a predecessor to LHC). They found correlations with the moon (tidal distortion of crust) and local train schedule (return currents flowing in the ground cause magnetic fields). That just shows that instrumentation in nuclear physics is tricky business.

Yes it is true, but the solar flare effect came some number of hours before the flare---either a spurious correlation or indication of something in the nuclear reacting core.

The original observations are 5 years old now, from some pretty good nuclear guys at Purdue, including Ephraim Fischbach. They know all about nuclear instrumentation. I think it could be real.

www.symmetrymagazine.org...

dx.doi.org...

dx.doi.org...

www.sciencedirect.com... _alid=1441903185&_rdoc=1&_fmt=full&_orig=search&_cdi=5297&_issn=09276505&_pii=S092765050900084X&view=c&_acct=C000059607&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_user id=4420&md5=3d9cea58f6a7c0f05dcf360a29dabe08

I can tell that the 33 day periodicity can have any number of explanations. For example, the secretary next door has her period on that day, and drinks more chamomile tea than usual

Would the labs in both Brookhaven and Germany have a lady who drinks their teas exactly synchronized?

edit on 23-4-2011 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

To access the source article, I'd have to try from work -- we probably have a subscription there, I don't want to pay for access from my home machine...

The pop-science article seems to be full of speculation, unfortunately. 28 vs 33 days... One case where the alleged variation in decay rate occurred some time BEFORE the flare. I just don't know. If I have access during the week, I may have ideas.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It's not just the sun that could effect decay rates. A dose of high energy waves from anywhere in the universe could do the same. Constant decay rate is just an assumption, rooted in backwards unifomitarianism. The present is not necessarily the key to the past.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11azerus11
so carbon dating could be off my an exponential factor... i do not believe in the biblical time line for creation but this was just a thought.... maybe both sides are right... just not as old and not as young....

Probably not. From the Purdue article, upon which the slightly more recent Stanford article was based:

The fluctuations we're seeing are fractions of a percent and are not likely to radically alter any major anthropological findings," Fischbach said.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by painterdude
It's not just the sun that could effect decay rates. A dose of high energy waves from anywhere in the universe could do the same. Constant decay rate is just an assumption, rooted in backwards unifomitarianism. The present is not necessarily the key to the past.

There are other ways to confirm that decay rates have remained essentially constant e.g. measuring gamma source decay rates from supernovae that are up to a few billion light years away, which agree with our currently measured terrestrial decay rates.

top topics

join