It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Buys Inflatable Army

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATLien
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

The whole world knows countries use inflatable tanks..The thread is about the fact that they find it necessary to NOW BUY many many tanks...Not that the inflatable tanks exist, so what's so funny? I hate it when people read the 1st post then skip to the end and leave a sarcastic comment.

Who says Russia is buying a new inflatable army? All the information in the first post is from a recent news article where a journalist photographed a few of these decoys to show the world what Russia already has deployed.

And as much as I would love to see Russia clean house against Israel and American forces in the middle east, I doubt Russia will come to Iran's aid unless someone was stupid enough to start killing off Russians in Iran's territory. In such a case, Russia already has sufficient forces to intervene on so many different levels that an "inflatable army" turns out to be nothing more than a Western media sensation.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATLien
Apparently, Russia needs an inflatable Army for some reason (Coming War Maybe) and they're paying 2500 grand per tank.

Quote from skeptic I concur with: "But at a time of peace, duping foreign intelligence networks with such expensive toys is a questionable luxury."

how much is 2500 grand?
do you mean 2500$? i mean what is the number please

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Please tell me you are not dilusional enough to think Russia has a chance in Haiti's VS the US of A!!!

America would destroy Russia!! Fact ... PERIOD!!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath

Originally posted by pavil
While those used to be good, simple inflatables without any heat signatures stand out like a sore thumb on the modern optical battlefield. They still can confuse your foe, always a good thing.

I wonder if putting a simple gas powered heater inside the balloon could give it an appropriate heat signature? Of course, you better strap the thing down, else it might float away...

It wouldn't look the same. Tank engines put a a lot a heat in a fairly localized part of the tank. Sort of like this. I don't think for $2,500 you buy a high tech inflatable, have you every priced a commercial Jumphouse?

www.sandia.gov...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974

Please tell me you are not dilusional enough to think Russia has a chance in Haiti's VS the US of A!!!

America would destroy Russia!! Fact ... PERIOD!!

Never underestimate someone else. You have no idea what they have up their sleeves. Saying otherwise is foolish and rushes us towards a war you might not want to fight once you're stuck in it.

I remember when the war in Iraq was supposed to be over within a few weeks.

The clock is still ticking there as well as in Afghanistan.

Regarding the OP: If Russia is expecting trouble in the future, then buying inflatable tanks to fool intelligence efforts is an excellent tool. They allow you to trick the enemy for you to catch off balance. Remember, the art of war is about being cunning.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Tarrok

Rushes us toward war??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! If there was a god, I would be praying for WW3 24/7.

We need a WW3 to wake this planet up.... Lets get the mess over with so our kids and their kids can live a peaceful life..

This planet and it's govts. are out of control... The world needs a devastating WW3 to wake everyone up...I believe the only way to achieve peace is with the largest most brutal war of all time!!

I am not stating this as facts... It is just my opinion!! Dont tell me about all of the casualties .... I know, women and children will die... But it will be for the greater good.. Peace will NEVER be achieved with the path we are on!!

WW3 excites me..... Gives me a tickle in my potty!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath

Originally posted by pavil
While those used to be good, simple inflatables without any heat signatures stand out like a sore thumb on the modern optical battlefield. They still can confuse your foe, always a good thing.

I wonder if putting a simple gas powered heater inside the balloon could give it an appropriate heat signature? Of course, you better strap the thing down, else it might float away...

Yhea they do stuff like that all the time.

I was just watching a TV program (future weapons I think) and they were testing anti tank missiles... They were using actual tank wreaks because they were looking at the armour destroying aspect but they had gas heaters and hot air blowers on the tanks to give them a nice heat signature.

I've seen things like these before when moor walking (they close of parts of Dartmoor national park for military exercises) We came over this hill and in a little valley were these 2 tanks! Funny as hell, proper heart stopping for a second, we got nearer and it's clear thy were mock up's, but these were canvas, not inflatable - still cool tho.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

Russia Buys Inflatable Army

OMG! That's so KINKY!

Terra

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

I understand your frustration, but the last two world wars did not solve the issues in the world. What makes you think another one will?

Chances are we'll destroy our own ability to live on this planet with the current arsenal we possess. It only takes one nuclear armed country in its death-throws to give us all a massive slap in the global face.

We need a deeper change that perpetual war will not bring.

I, for one, will not give up seeking alternative means to bring a better world to our children.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Whilst on the subject of Iran, which was mentioned in an earlier post, how long do you think it will be before America invades?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

What is your source for this claim of Russia buying inflatable tanks?

No, I am not claiming this is a lie, merely asking for a recent source.

That always helps people to better understand the threads origin.

Reminds me of the WWII usages of inflatable armies to fool the Nazis.

Working WIth A Bunch of Dummies

Quote from : Wikipedia : Ghost Army

The Ghost Army was a United States Army tactical deception unit during World War II officially known as the 23rd Headquarters Special Troops.

The 1,100-man unit was given a unique mission within the Army to impersonate other U.S. Army units in order to fool the enemy.

From a few weeks after D-Day, when they landed in France, until the end of the war, they put on a traveling road show, using inflatable tanks, sound trucks, phony radio transmissions and even playacting.

Sound familiar?

Or rather look familiar?

Are the Russians training, "re-arming", and possibly doing this to confuse someone?

Russia's inflatable army

These are only going to valid for a very few reasons.

1) M.O.U.T. - Mock-up vehicles for training purposes.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Urban Warfare

Urban warfare is combat conducted in urban areas such as towns and cities.

Urban combat is very different from combat in the open at both the operational and tactical level.

Complicating factors in urban warfare include the presence of civilians and the complexity of the urban terrain.

2) G.E.O.I.N.T. - Fooling satellite imagery.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Geospatial Intelligence

Geospatial Intelligence, GEOINT (GEOspatial INTelligence), GeoIntel (Geospatial Intelligence), or GSI (GeoSpatial Intelligence) has no universally accepted definition.

The United State's NIMA Act of 1996 establishing the National Imagery and Mapping Agency and the subsequent amended language in the 2003 Defense Authorization Act as codified in the U.S. Code, governs the mission of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) and offers a definition of Geospatial Intelligence.

3) H.U.M.I.N.T. - Fooling covert operators doing surveillance and or sabotage.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Human Intelligence

HUMINT, a syllabic abbreviation of the words HUMan INTelligence, refers to intelligence gathering by means of interpersonal contact, as opposed to the more technical intelligence gathering disciplines such as SIGINT, IMINT and MASINT.

NATO defines HUMINT as "a category of intelligence derived from information collected and provided by human sources."

Typical HUMINT activities consist of interrogations and conversations with persons having access to pertinent information.

Even a cursory examination would leave this detectable as a farce.

Unless from a major distance with accompanying soldiers patrolling around them.

And or with sound effects piped in.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Oh yeah, this is preparation for something. Maybe they've secretly given the toys free will!

All jokes aside though, this could have practical uses. Decoys to distract incoming armies, or tools to lead people into thinking there is actual war going on who can't see clearly.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join