It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Hurricane Katrina, NOLA cops told to shoot looters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

After Hurricane Katrina, NOLA cops told to shoot looters

www.rawstory.com

In the chaotic days after Hurricane Katrina, an order circulated among New Orleans police authorizing officers to shoot looters, according to present and former members of the department.

It's not clear how broadly the order was communicated. Some officers who heard it say they refused to carry it out. Others say they understood it as a fundamental change in the standards on deadly force, which allow police to fire only to protect themselves or others from what appears to be an imminent physi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
As more information comes out on the tragedy of Katrina, it becomes more and more apparent that it was only a dry run (no pun intended) for some kind of authoritarian police state. As much as I hate to say it, the real tragedy wasn't the inaction by authorities, rather it was their actions. It wasn't what they failed to do but rather what they were successful at doing that is the real issue.

I could understand the problems with getting help to the people and I can even understand the lawlessness that soon followed, however what I can't understand, is the policies set up by those in charge. Such policies as disarming the good guys, while the police were ordered to shoot at unarmed people.

Sadly, most Americans don't even know the details of the policies set up after the storm and even if they did learn of them, the vast majority of Americans would agree.

We can learn a valuable lesson from what happened in New Orleans after Katrina and use it as a playbook of things to come. I have no doubt in mind that the precedent set in NOLA after the devastating storm will also be used when the economy tanks or the empire crumbles. I suggest everyone study these policies and learn from them, as to find ways to work around them for the interests of your safety and freedom. Use the tragedy of New Orleans as a guide for the inevitable. The silver lining of Katrina, is that it gave us a window into how TPTB are going to respond to any crisis that falls over our once free country.

--airspoon

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I wonder what they would say about police officers who were looting as well, which is what happened during Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

At 1:00 you can see two female police officers looting...

This vid is racist I think... I noticed that they edited out a white guy pilfering some shirts in this version but.... Anyway here you guys go...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Yeah, I grew up in New Orleans and I can tell you that some of the police are their are worse than the civilian thugs. I would see police wearing gang bandanas and on a couple of occasions, I saw police selling crack... from the corner! Standing on the corner, selling crack like the lowliest common criminal.

What really got me, that is sort of off topic but not really, is that CNN and the other liberal news stations starting saying that the looters were only taking the basic life needs. What a joke, as they are wheeling out televisions, $250 sneakers and designer clothes.

Sadly, Katrina didn't cause more crime, it has always been like that, only the police were corrupt so it was just everyday occurrences. Katrina just brought the MSM to focus on it all. Sure, the storm made it easier for criminals, but that's about it. It's not as if that kind of behavior started because of Katrina and it's certainly not that these looters were taking basic supplies to sustain life. The MSM was just trying to be politically correct because you can't really report on crime if that crime isn't done by a blonde haired, blue eyed male.

Even still, regardless of how thuggish the looters are, it is scary to think that the police were given orders to shoot at will. It's not that I don't think many of those looters deserved to be shot, only that I don't think that cops should be given such authority, ever... Especially NOLA cops.

--airspoon

[edit on 25-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Yikes, that whole mess was a fiasco to the highest degree. Makes me shiver to think about everything that went on.

Their new mayor was on the news in the last week or so, and he publicly stated that New Orleans has the most corrupt law enforcement agency in the nation. He said he is trying to clean it up, so let's hope for the best.

I was stopped there once for running a traffic light. lol. But those lights are in weird places! Who sees those things? But, I deserved the warning ticket, and the officer was quite nice and professional.

But during Katrina, any resemblance to professionalism apparently flew out the window. But it wasn't all bad. My nephew went down there as a part of a "SWAT" team, and he said the unit they put him with worked really hard to keep things straight, and they spent most of their time fishing people out of the water.

Oh, by the way, and this is a little OT, but my nephew called home to tell us one thing they were not showing on TV, was that there were SHARKS
swimming through the streets in the ninth ward. Gulp.

The storm washed them in to Ponchatrain (sp) and they thought that's how they got in to the city.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well it's not news to me I had some specops friends that were in N.O. after Katrina and they had orders from the Bush administration to stop the civil unrest and assist the locals. One of their missions was to find out who was shooing at the USCG helicopters and take them out.

One also told me about a group of guys in a boat that popped off at them. He ordered to return fire and killed all 7.

The record shows they drowned in the storm.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
What they did was very bad, but I think the what-they-didn't do category was worse;
Failed to use school buses to evacuate people.
FEMA stopping relief convoys from entering N.O.
Bush administration refusing foreign aid (Cuban doctors, etc)

Amazing how Blackwater could be there patrolling the streets for 3 days before any help arrived at the Superdome.

Allowing FOREIGN mercenaries to be armed while disarming the public.

Shooting looters? Anything perishable was necessary to people staying alive - bottled water, food , medicine. If FEMA can't deliver it don't expect people not to steal it FPS!
Most of the stuff that was looted would have rotted or molded anyway, I'm sure the stores wrote it all off. Only the Mom&Pop stores were the ones to suffer.

Shooting at people crossing the bridge to get the hell out of HELL. I hope they hang those cops by the short ones.

Ray Nagin - "Nobody in the city of NO will be allowed to be armed". How the frack did that $#@! ever get re-elected?

Then there was whole fiasco about the clean up/Halliburton/toxic trailers/ hiring illegals for construction/no-bid contracting etc.

Test run is right! They did EVERYTHING POSSIBLE WRONG. Bitch of it is we let them get away with it, the whole country did. If we ever should have gotten ticked and told them ENOUGH! That was the time to do it. We allowed our fellow citizens to be treated like refugees in a war zone. Shame on us all.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I saw this on Frontline tonight, really a sad story. It's all about murder and coverup by the cops, they indited 5 or 6 cops who are waiting trial.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
If you look up "Crooked Cops" in the dictionary, you're going to find a picture of the NOPD's department patch. They've even had a history of being a PD of criminals, literally.

I'm all for giving cops the benefit of the doubt but not them. The past 3 decades of [snip] for brains policing hasn't awarded them that honor, IMO.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by mistafaz]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

As far back as I can recall, that was always the rule. The police and the National Guard have always declared the right to shoot looters during any emergency situation. I mainly remember it being used during various riots going back to at least the 1970's.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by defcon5]

top topics

join