It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bagel Tax...sliced bagels taxed! Outrageous!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

In New York, the sale of whole bagels isn't subject to sales tax. But the tax does apply to "sliced or prepared bagels (with cream cheese or other toppings)," according to the state Department of Taxation and Finance. And if the bagel is eaten in the store, even if it's never been touched by a knife, it's also taxed

online.wsj.com...

Is this the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard!!!!! This is just petty and another example of how insidious the state government really is! If you buy them uncut no tax????

Further more they are seizing Bagel Shops for noncompliance of a law that has never before been enforced! Bagel shop owners all over the state are now considered "tax cheats"! Sliced bread is okay, but not sliced bagels.

rochesterhomepage.net...
dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com...

Perhaps if the stupid state legislature would pass budgets on time and stop acting like 4 year old children we could still grab a bagel on the run tax free!!!!!

[edit on 8/25/2010 by redhead57]

[edit on 8/25/2010 by redhead57]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
No you got it all wrong!

This is a good thing! This is awesome!

It means that this government is becoming so tax-happy and so self-centered that they are going to force the people to reject it entirely.

That is a good thing.

I just LOVE these new taxes and laws.

The inevitable only comes closer day by day.

The only problem is, the taxes aren't high enough. And we need more laws.

Here is a good idea for a new law. If you drop your bagel on the floor, thats a 5000$ fine! Oh yeah. Now that would rock.

Edit to put better law in.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
LOL

Considering we in NY are the most taxed people in the nation, maybe that is what it will take to get rid of the clowns in Albany! People in this state have sadly become accustomed to the BS. Sad!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Look at it this way, slicing bagel takes effort, manpower etc. thus taxes. Unsliced ones don't need extra efforts..buy a unsliced one take it to home and slice it, simple!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sheol
reply to post by redhead57

Look at it this way, slicing bagel takes effort, manpower etc. thus taxes. Unsliced ones don't need extra efforts..buy a unsliced one take it to home and slice it, simple!

This is tax evasion!

Arrest him someone!
Call the bagel police!

Oh snap, that won't work. They will just eat the evidence!

We are doomed!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
LOL

I know it sounds silly but we already pay 8 1/2 percent sales tax in NY. They want to charge tax on soda and sugar drinks too. Cigarettes are $9.50 and the Thruway that was supposed to be paid for and free sometime in the 80's is more expensive than ever!

New Yorkers must get sick of this and stand up!!!!

It is the principle of the thing, not that a bagel will cost an extra 10 cents!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I with you. There's something sick in these people that even at this point all of this nonsense is still tolerable, acceptable and readily excusable.

We need to push just a little further to the point at which none of this mess can possibly be excusable any longer. So that even the most absurd logical leaps could not possibly rationalize this disaster.

Frankly, I'm appalled and have officially given up all hope of intelligent life on this planet that this whole mess has gone as far as it has with as many apologists as it has.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I completely agree with you.

It is like the people are lulled to sleep with the thought "it is only a few cents". When those cents add up to dollars, tens, and hundreds, they make noise. We should stand up.

I am not voting for any incumbent at all this year, not a one in the State! They are not doing their jobs and enough is enough. Too bad we can't get people on board for the anti incumbent movement. We could send a real message.

But...people will keep paying little taxes on small things and just suck it up.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I like Canada's New taxes they are really ridiculous. The HST tax has such random exemptions. Tampons are Tax Free!!! I save like 50 cents a box. Any children clothing and shoes, Diapers and feminine hygiene products have NO TAX. Everything else has a 13% tax rate.

Consider your tax free uncut bagels a gift.. We get taxed on everything.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It's about time they started taxing those free riding bagel...slicers?

Do you know the kind of effect they have on peoples breakfast?

I don't. BUT WE NEED TO TAX THEM!!!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
I like Canada's New taxes they are really ridiculous. The HST tax has such random exemptions. Tampons are Tax Free!!! I save like 50 cents a box.

I'll have a few tampons on my bagel, broken in half, not sliced. thank you...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This law isn't new by any means. It's been on the books since at least the early 90's. I'm just not sure why they're deciding to enforce it now all of a sudden. We knew about it when I ran a Brueggers near Albany, we just didn't care enough to add it to our system.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I am sending the White House an idea I came up with just the other day.

It will be a BOONDOGGLE for income for the gubment.

Taxes on Coffee, say about the 50 cents per cup equivalent. Hell, just THINK about the money that could be made.

Disguising myself as one of the Coffee Party folks. That way they might not realize the trap.

Also, if it starts to really bring in the dough, they can go to Tea next.

I of course drink neither and will laugh my ass off.

Think the smokers were right? Did they not say "just wait, your turn is coming!"

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
A penny saved is penny earned...ooops not much room at that trough.
The more bureaucracy the more room for trough feeders
Say, have they started taxing tea yet?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Please don't give them any ideas.

top topics

join