It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100% Renewable, Biodegradable Fake Wood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well apparently, Germans Juergen Pfitzer and Helmut Naegele have created an alternative to wood called ArboForm. It's made from lignin, a component of wood and a by-product of the paper manufacturing process and it also happens to be the second most abundant natural polymer on the planet. By mixing lignin with natural fibers and some natural additive produces a fiber composite that can be processed at raised temperatures and, just like a synthetic thermoplastic material, can be made into moldings, plates or slabs on conventional plastics processing machines. So this allows products such as computer, television or mobile phone casings to be made from ‘wood’.
Thought this was pretty cool and plus the possibilities that come with this discovery are endless.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Sounds like a good replacement for plastic.
Except where food storage is concerned.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Have you got a link? Am I blind?

Sounds good though, another thing we don't need oil for!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by March of the Fire Ants
Have you got a link? Am I blind?

Sounds good though, another thing we don't need oil for!

Here ye blow - www.whitespace.bz...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
It's renewable, biodegradable fake wood. Made from real wood. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all behind the idea. It's just that it would be just as accurate to say the same thing about particle board, MDF, or Masonite. It just uses a new kind of byproduct of the wood processing industry.

new topics

top topics

join