It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing: Most Detailed Picture Of Sunspot Ever

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
For some reason I think of a sunflower when I see this

that was the first though that came to me

MM

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The granular appearance around the sunspot is caused by convection cells. You can create them yourself. Here's how:

1.) Pure a cup of hot coffee. Let it settle for 15 seconds.

B.) Gently pour-in a couple ounces of cream (half-and-half and sometimes whole milk can work, too). DO NOT STIR!!! You want the heavy white stuff to settle to the bottom of the cup.

III.) Wait and watch (you can speed-up the process by gently placing a small ice cube on top of the coffee - do NOT just dump it in): After a minute or two, you will see these roughly hexagonal cell-patterns form.

The hot coffee is convecting: The hot fluid is rising. When it reaches the surface, the heat radiates into the air and the liquid cools. The rising hot fluid now pushes the cooler fluid aside, where it sinks back down. The cream shows the shape of these convection patterns.

If you go to an asian restaurant and order hot miso soup, the stuff suspended in it excellently shows the hot upwellings & cool down-currents.

It looks neat, but the really neat thing is that the physics that causes these patterns in your soup or coffee is the EXACT SAME phenomenon that causes the granular pattern on the surface of Sun!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Looks like the Eye from LOTR. Nice close-up!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join