It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Firms 'Will Overcome Arctic Challenges'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
To the MODS: Sorry but the site won't allow me to post in the 'breaking news' forum at the moment as there seems to be a glitch when i click on 'new topic'... just takes me to a 'unable to display page' page!!

Anyway if you want to move this post then do so....

I thought to put this thread in here should be good enough:

'Despite hostile conditions and intense environmental opposition, the Arctic is set to become a key global oil supplier as demand for fossil fuels continues to rise, analysts have said.'

'The region's role in meeting future energy needs has been highlighted once again with news that Edinbugh-based Cairn Energy had found "early indications of a working hydrocarbon system" with its first well in Greenland.'

'estimates for the amount of oil remaining to be discovered in the Arctic ranged from 100 to 200 billion barrels, while between 1,000 and 2,000 trillion cubic feet of gas could be found there.'

After all the disasters of the World which is going on at the moment and has done over the years with Chenobyl, Gulf Of Mexico and the recent fires in Russia spewing chemicals you'd think that maybe 'drilling for oil and gases' would dwindle a bit but it seems the vultures are going to get their hands on the reserves in the Artic now.

I thought the idea was supposed to be on cleaner & greener ways to live not more poisonous ways to live... ok, we may need gas for an ever increasing population but oil i thought was going to be left alone... wasn't it?

More on the skynews article:

news.sky.com...

[edit on 25-8-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

[edit on 25-8-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

After all the disasters of the World which is going on at the moment and has done over the years with Chenobyl, Gulf Of Mexico and the recent fires in Russia spewing chemicals you'd think that maybe 'drilling for oil and gases' would dwindle a bit but it seems the vultures are going to get their hands on the reserves in the Artic now.

Global warming no surprise then ? "Hey let's go melt some ice suckas"

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

Latest mail from greenpeace:

Hi there,

We've arrived at the site of current deepwater oil drilling in the Arctic. The Esperanza is currently anchored about 2km from the oil rig in the Davis Straits between Canada and Greenland – also known as iceberg alley. We're here to tell them to end deepwater drilling. And we need you to do the same.

It's a UK company that has come to one of the most remote and harsh environments on the planet in pursuit of the last drops of oil. Cairn Energy is currently drilling two wells off the west coast of Greenland and has plans for two more wells in the area before the end of the summer. Companies like Cairn and BP are desperate to pursue the last oil on Earth, even if that means risking our environment and climate in the process.

The Arctic is a barometer of the health of the planet. It's home to some of the world's most distinctive mammals like polar bears, walruses, caribou, narwhals and beluga whales. It supports millions of migratory and resident birds. The Arctic also plays a major role in the regulation of the global climate by acting like a giant reflective shield limiting the amount of sun and heat absorbed by the Earth.

Drilling in the Arctic is too risky and a spill in the region would be catastrophic. Cairn is employing small ships to drag icebergs out the way of their rigs, but that only works for small icebergs. When they get big, they've got to move the rigs – fast.

Deepwater drilling in the Arctic is a disaster waiting to happen. Canadian regulators say that drilling a 'relief well' in the Arctic would take at least three years to complete, leaving the oil to gush out until the job is done.

In the next hour we're going to send an inflatable boat with a few of the crew to go and talk to the rig manager about the devastating consequences if a spill occurred in the Arctic.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42c60b474c88.jpg[/atsimg]

Where will it end....

I'm 100% sure they will successfully overcome arctic challenges...

right up to the moment they spill a bunch of freaking oil...

[edit on 25-8-2010 by DaMod]

top topics

join