It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Music And Art and Extraterrestrials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
So lets pretend for a minute that an Alien race contacts us.

What would they want to discuss with us? One would think that perhaps they'd want to discuss Einsteins theory on relativity or even Hawkings idea on quantum gravity. That in my opinion would not be the case.

If space travelers were to contact us, then their technology would be so far ahead of us that our musings would be of zero interest to them. I think they'd be more interested in our art and music. We certainly couldnt teach them science or technology.

Why?

Because art and music is "human" - Its "us". Its a lot more singularly human and it expresses our every day lives here on earth better than anything else. Also, these Aliens would more than likely be so different than us that it would maintain their interest.

I found this interesting website that talks about this subject.

If Aliens Exist, They Will Probably Love Bach

Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

Well, it could certainly be the case...I agree that they would have nothing to learn from us science wise. And it makes sense they enjoy art if they do in fact create some of the amazing crop circles we see.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Mixmaster Mike pursued his career as a DJ because of a UFO sighting during one of his practice sessions. Maybe we really do rock hard enough for ET to be interested.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/658c1a479bdc.jpg[/atsimg]

This plate called 'The Lolladoff plate' is a 12,000 year old stone dish found in Nepal. It clearly shows a disk shaped UFO (top of pic, hard to see from the angle of the plate however). There is also a figure on the disc looking remarkably similar to a Grey. Notice the spiral galaxy shape as well, with the alien inside it and the ufo at the begging of it. Galaxies come in spiral shape and through out India, Egypt and Peru and other ancient sites the spiral shape is very often seen. This galaxy spiral is probably there to tell us that they flew here from another galaxy, or the spiral shape could signify energy or eternity, other meanings attributed to the spiral by Egyptians and other ancient cultures with inexplicable advanced methods in astronomy and spirituality.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I would think Art Music and Culture would be there primary interests in us.

Creativity and imagination might be something they have no idea about.
They might be so logical that art and music may even be alien to them.
It could also be a good reason why they are looking at us.

[edit on 25/8/10 by Ezappa]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/658c1a479bdc.jpg[/atsimg]

This plate called 'The Lolladoff plate' is a 12,000 year old stone dish found in Nepal. It clearly shows a disk shaped UFO (top of pic, hard to see from the angle of the plate however). There is also a figure on the disc looking remarkably similar to a Grey. Notice the spiral galaxy shape as well, with the alien inside it and the ufo at the begging of it. Galaxies come in spiral shape and through out India, Egypt and Peru and other ancient sites the spiral shape is very often seen. This galaxy spiral is probably there to tell us that they flew here from another galaxy, or the spiral shape could signify energy or eternity, other meanings attributed to the spiral by Egyptians and other ancient cultures with inexplicable advanced methods in astronomy and spirituality.

Im so sorry to inform you that what you wrote was a HOAX..

LINK:
badarchaeology.wordpress.com...

And to the thread...I agree that they would be interested with our arts and music..
If not then ...I dunno another reason..

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

If we don't know how they are then we cannot know what they know and what they would like to know.

We cannot know if they have art or not, and the fact that music, for example, is something natural to humans it's also true that many animals like music, so it's not something unique to humans.

Also, the fact that they would be obviously technically advanced in space travel doesn't mean that they would be advanced in all areas, we may be more advanced in unrelated things or we may even have the answers that they need to have full knowledge about the universe.

We can only know that if they tell us.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by -Blackout-
Because art and music is "human" - Its "us". Its a lot more singularly human and it expresses our every day lives here on earth better than anything else. Also, these Aliens would more than likely be so different than us that it would maintain their interest.

Art and music are so human that some alien intelligences may not be able to understand it or even perceive art and music for what they are. The human brain has evolved to interpret random information as having a pattern and agency. That is why we are able to hear a collection of musical notes not as individual notes or a jumble of noise but as a whole. That is why we don't perceive "Birth of Man" for what it really is, a collection of lines and colors but see it as Adam and God reaching for one another. Animals cannot do this. And any alien who's brain did not evolve these same ability will not either.

Humans have also evolved the wonderful ability to take pleasure in the aesthetic. We can produce objects and concepts that serve no value aside from granting the artist (in producing it) and the audience (in witnessing it) pleasure. Aliens who have not evolved a similar ability may not understand art that has any practical use.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Well, music is harmony.. in a way it deals with symmetry, balance and relations. I guess it would be about if the assumed "aliens" sense harmony in the same way as we do. Who knows, they could have music that's beyond our wildest dreams.

Every innovative new form of music really blew off the lid on consciousness.. most recently, electronic music. A lot of the more obscure, chilled stuff (but still somehow famous if it gets played on the radio) affects people very subtly, most people don't necessarily even notice that. But that's more of a psychological topic.

Maybe there are some universal patterns in music that sound the same to all of us. I don't really even think of music as an art in that way, it's just music, and it's always there, playing in the background. The soundtrack to our lives or something

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
We have no way of knowing what an alien species' aesthetic sensibility might be, or even if they would have any such concept at all. If they don't have ears - i.e. they never developed sound as a means of communication - then music would be completely useless to them.

If they don't see the world in the visual light spectrum, our visual arts would have zero, or possibly very reduced interest to them (they may still be able to see our art at other wavelengths, only they would see it far differently than we do).

They may have a system of art that is based completely on smell or on varying frequencies of natural radar emissions that they produce, and since smell is probably the weakest of human senses, and since we can only interpret radar emissions with the help of machines, these would be all but meaningless to us.

It's possible their brains developed in such a way that aesthetics as a concept doesn't exist at all for them, so art would be a curious waste of time on our part from their point of view. Our need to see things as "beautiful" could be a concept that for them is simply as impossible to understand as an 11 dimensional Universe is to our own minds.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by LifeInDeath]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Ive seen dogs and cats and even some types of monkeys "dance" or at least, react when a song is playing.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Ive seen dogs and cats and even some types of monkeys "dance" or at least, react when a song is playing.

You've not see a cat, dog, or monkey "dance". They were reacting to noise, and you saw what you wanted to see. Animals don't dance.

Show me a monkey making shapes and doing "the worm" and I will apologize.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Notice I said "react" in my post.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Notice I said "react" in my post.

So, what you're saying is that animals react to sounds.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Certainly they can hear the noise and in some cases distinguish it from other noises. However, they do not recognize in the same way humans so.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

dj qbert gets his ideas from advanced civilizations

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
who knows, maybe aliens are ahead of us with music aswell and have some cool stuff to share too.

don't just think its just science they would be far ahead of.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

You've not see a cat, dog, or monkey "dance". They were reacting to noise, and you saw what you wanted to see. Animals don't dance.

Show me a monkey making shapes and doing "the worm" and I will apologize.

Made me lol.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

You bring up a good point. I'm sure "they" could really care less how we "think" the universe works or how great we feel our place in the universe is

But I am confused. I was under the impression that our music was already Galaxy wide. From what I understand the Grays listen to Slayer and the reptilians have some sort of Lady gaga thing going on.....Ya weird I know.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The Greys being Slayer fans would explain a lot

new topics

top topics

join