It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Connection between Chernobyl and BP Disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

In 1989, Grigori Medvedev wrote The Truth About Chernobyl, which was translated into English and published in the US in 1991, winning the LA Times 1991 book prize for best science and technology book. (Two short reviews are here and here.) At the end of Medvedev’s look back at what happened, he also looks ahead:

What, then, in my opinion, is the main lesson to be learned from Chernobyl?

Above all else, it is that this horrible tragedy summons us forcefully to the Truth — to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. That’s the first thing. My second conclusion derives from the truth.

. . . Like all tragedies of the past, Chernobyl showed us how great is our people’s courage and how strong its spirit. But Chernobyl calls us to use our reason and our analytical powers, so that we will not forget what happened, and will look clearly at our misfortune and avoid glossing over it . . .

Accordingly, the main lesson of Chernobyl is to sharpen our sense of the fragility and vulnerability of human life. Chernobyl demonstrated both man’s immense power and his impotence. And it served as a warning to man not to become intoxicated with his own power, not to take that power lightly, and not to seek in it ephemeral gains and pleasures and the glitter of prestige. Since man is both the cause and the effect, he must be more responsible and scrutinize himself as well as the things he has made. When we remember that man’s works carry over into the future, with all its joys and hardships, we realize with horror that those shattered chromosome strands and those genes, either lost or distorted as a result of radiation, are already part of our future. We will be seeing them again and again in the years ahead. That is the most horrible lesson of Chernobyl.

Like the residents of the Ukraine and neighboring Belarus, the residents of the Gulf coast will be learning first hand this very same lesson, as the BP oil disaster teaches us about the fragility and vulnerability of marine life, reshaping not only the life in the Gulf but also the lives of the people tied to its waters.

It is a horrible lesson, indeed.

When I watch this video it reminds me of how I have felt watching children playing on the oil drenched shorelines in the Gulf Coast, of the hired workers used to clean up the dispersant filled waters and hide the evidence from the public eye as media was kept from filming the real truth.

Will history tell the story of the BP disaster much the same as the Horrific Chernobyl disaster?

As stated in the article above the most important lesson to be gleaned from both incidents is for complete disclosure and truth. I agree.

firedoglake.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
As people try and use the volume of the gulf to down play this event I have often thought of Chernoobyl, the Niger,the several coal deposits we caught fire which will burn for hundreds of yrs.
The Earth a very big but very finite place and each time events like these occur it becomes more finite for we who call it home. each may be a drop in the bucket so to speak (Not My Opinion) but, one is forced to ask which drop will be the last?
N.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I cried while watching your friends film. Those poor people did not know anything about what they were dealing with. It is a perfect companion film to the BP Gulf Oil Gusher, except that the Gulf disaster was planned.

All of those people were exposing themselves without even knowing about it. The only other thing I can say is that at Chernobyl, the radiation was silent, invisible, and the workers at that time were not informed as to what they were facing then, and 20 years down the road.

The nefarious TPTB on the Gulf gusher knew, they still know, and are trying to cover up how bad it really is. It might end up being worse then Chernobyl.

There were some pics of other Chernobyl footage on Youtube that showed the children, but I am going to have to wait and watch them later. They are too sad, horrible and terrifying to watch one after another.

Oh Sweet Mary, Star of the Sea, Patroness of the Americas, please intercede for us with God - your Son, Jesus Christ, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end, Amen

[edit on 2582010 by Starbug3MY]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Oh Sweet Mary, Star of the Sea, Patroness of the Americas, please intercede for us with God - your Son, Jesus Christ, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end, Amen

Thank you so much, your love and heart energy are touching and appreciated. I dont pray often but have given it all for the GUlf and as others have been pointing out, all the other disasters big and small across the world right now.

With Love and Light, Thank you

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Just now got back to that story. You're welcome and may many many more prayers be said.

I don't know how to bump up this story to page one. It should be there for all to see the comparison.

Well, we can pray for that too.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This article needs to be seen and read by anyone pold enough to remember Chernobyl. It is truly a link to our tragedy.

top topics

join