It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carter Trying To Get North Korea To Release American...But Where's Obama?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Former President Jimmy Carter is reportedly poised to fly to North Korea on a rescue mission this week that carries what analysts see as tremendous diplomatic significance amid rising tensions on the Korean peninsula.

The ostensible reason for Mr. Carter to fly to Pyongyang is to pick up a 30-year-old American whom North Korean soldiers seized after he crossed the border into North Korea from China last February.

Aijalon Mahli Gomes, who was teaching English in South Korea before deciding to go to North Korea, attempted to commit suicide, according to a North Korean report, after a court in April sentenced him to eight years in prison. Two American doctors, accompanied by consular officials, saw him earlier this month, and US officials have been pressing hard for a way to have him released.

Source

I admire Carter for going to attempt rescue of the American prisoner. I remember when the two journalists who were held captive in North Korea and Clinton came to the rescue when no one in the previous Administration even dared to.

But where's Obama on this? Is it me or is the lack of care for our fellow citizens kept prisoner by a foreign communist nation concerning?

I know, the president has bigger problems to deal with...but it's sad that FORMER presidents have to go in and save American lives.

Sorry, just felt the need to have a little rant on this matter.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Bigger problems to deal with? He's on vacation.

We will get the American back. We're just going to have to get donald rumsfeld to sell them another nuclear reactor, is all.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'd probably try to kill myself too, if I got sentenced to 8 years in a North Korean prison.

People should learn one thing, first off: DON'T GO TO NORTH KOREA. Cause you'll probably get arrested for some stupid #, like "having a camera," or "knowledge of the outside world."

And number two: the president doesn't have infinite time to patch up these little diplomatic faux pas, and you're likely to become a political prisoner. Given the relationship between north korea, and the US, you've got only a snowballs chance in hell of ever being released -- and if you do get released, it might only come with the price of strengthening the tyrannical regime (through food deals, energy deals, etc). Do you really want to be the douche bag who made the dictator more powerful, as part of your plea bargain to get away from that same regime?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
As much as I don't like Obama, I think he is doing the right thing, politically speaking, by staying out of it. Could you imagine all of us critics, if Obama did in fact go to North Korea? We would have all of those usual suspects yelping about Obama dealing with the enemy.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Obama's swimming in the gulf. Or better yet, he's doing what he does best...absolutely nothing.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
As much as I don't like Obama, I think he is doing the right thing, politically speaking, by staying out of it. Could you imagine all of us critics, if Obama did in fact go to North Korea? We would have all of those usual suspects yelping about Obama dealing with the enemy.

--airspoon

True. But I'd like to see the President actually stick up for the common man and the common good. But of course, like I said, he has bigger issues to deal with. And I know what the critics will say: he doesn't stand up for the common man. Which I will agree with to a certain degree.

I also like how the mainstream media doesn't report these prisoner situations. I wonder what would happen if a good looking American blonde girl got held captive. Would we then care?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Historically, how many US Presidents have we had plead for a common fool Anti US defector ?
Unless they were a spy ?

He's probably a CIA operative anyway.

Lee Harvey Oswald was a defector too you know. Living in Russia before being called home to shoot JFK. Or at least to take the blame for it.

Obama is under the employ of "The Company" ....aka CIA.

That's why he isn't involved.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Why do we have to send our former leaders to release a prisoner? Next will be both Bushes.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Why do we have to send our former leaders to release a prisoner? Next will be both Bushes.

We don't send anyone. They go on their own because they actually care.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Sometimes, for things like this, our government officials simply CAN'T do anything to help the situation. This is why, all the while under Bush we had Clinton, Bush Sr., Jesse Jackson and also Carter going into places and getting our citizens out. Because they are not officially a part of the Government, they can make deals the U.S. Government can't, because if the Govt. did it would become a part of official U.S. policy.

Sometimes these rogue states like N. Korea want to do deals, but can't directly because of stated policies towards our government. Doing these deals through experienced former members of the government is a way around sometimes sticky issues, and everyone wins in the end.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by LifeInDeath]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Carter is a great man. A true American hero. I hope he's successful. I understand what you're saying about the government intervening and it becoming official US policy. But then again, once again, Obama is a disappointment. He never fails to disappoint. It's like he is trained to do the exact opposite of what he should do; the exact opposite of what's best for the US. I hope to Almighty God that he doesn't get reelected.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

We don't send anyone. They go on their own because they actually care.

most likely, Carter approached the administration... & the Øbama handlers gave him support....
but they did not go as far as giving Carter a 'Diplomatic Pouch'
or a 'Letter of Standing/Authority' or even 'Credentials'...so that any deals or agreements reached by the 'private party' former Pres. Carter & his group of attaches' with the N.K. authority...
have no real or strategic value...
they (carter's intervention) are only informal 'Talks'

Carter is going as a caring person that has influence BUT No standing with the policies of the Øbama Regime, or with the american government .

a ~seperation~ of official process with the humanitarial perogative is being played out here... its the only option Carter has, also the only avenue for the administration to play.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by St Udio]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The North Koreans and the world would benefit more from Carter's visit, if he showed them the proper way to grow peanuts. Something Carter actually knows well, unlike foreign policy.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I thought he was golfing on his vacation.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
It's funny though, you have to admit.

We invade nations that pose no threat to us once so ever but yet we won't even touch the countries that keep our fellow citizens captive in horrific conditions.

Not saying "let's invade Korea!" I'm probably one of the top anti war members on this site. I'm just saying it's ironic.

But, I guess that's what happens when a country doesn't post a threat to Israel or doesn't have oil. We'll leave them alone until we can benefit from killing their civilians.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Ouch.
Elections have consequences, and so do vacations.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Ouch.
Elections have consequences, and so do vacations.

Right? Bush golfed while US soldiers got killed and Afghan civilians got killed as well. Oh and he bashed homosexuality before he hit a ball. Nice president.

Oh you meant Obama?

I don't think the vacation insult really works with this guy...lol. Considering conservatives got soo emotionally charged when liberals bashed Bush when he was on vacation ignoring 9/11 warnings..

...now the Right are trying to pull the same with Obama?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Obama said all he could say. You expect Obama to fly into North Korea?

His puppy doll Clinton went to vietnam with the NK's during a convention and things just got heated.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Sooo youre saying the president isnt out golfing while soldiers are getting killed over in the big sand box?

Or is the hypocrisy only one sided?

I dont see how you can talk out both sides of your mouth like that within 3 posts.....doesnt make any sense to me....

Lets get off the blame Bush bull crap, the mans been in office now long enough to take responsibility.........unless the libs are just SO use to passing blame for so long that they dont know how to do that......

On topic........

Carter is a joke, and he doesnt really care......he was just feeling un noticed and had to do something to get himself back into the spotlight again....

He does once or twice about every 1yr 1/2 or so....

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Yes, we can continue blaming Bush.

Two countries were invaded.
And the economy collapsed with his help.

It's very illogical for many Obama haters to come on in and bash the guy and claim he "destroyed this country." Tea Baggers? Where were they when Bush was president?

That argument is for another thread, another time.

As for Carter...he's actually a legit decent human being. But you have your opinions on him and that's fine.

new topics

top topics

join