It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pre-Crime Technology To Be Used In Washington D.C.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
"Computers predict what crime will be committed where, by who and when"

I searched and couldn't find this...but if I overlooked it, feel free to close this thread.

Otherwise, it would appear that Minority Report is here...at least in part.

Here's the link to the story

www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
If this is an accurate story, then where does it end?

Will "they" arrest commuters because they "predict" that someone is on the way to buy drugs? Will "they" arrest someone because "they" "predict" that someone with a history of anger issues is on the way home to beat their spouse after a bad day...even if there was never any intention of beating anyone?

I can see the positives of this...concerning known killers and child rapers...but I say this is too much. This makes Big Brother look like Little Sister...in my opinion.

It just keeps getting worse by the day.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This was my issue with the movie premise: If a crime has not been committed, then there can be no arrest. Period.

Unless perp can be caught exactly at time of attempt, what is the point? Legally, nothing. What is scary, is what can "agencies" do with this info and those that are ID'd via precrime. Very scary indeed.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The thing that gets you jumping is the spin that infowars puts on it, not the actual technology.
This is not a "precrime" software in the Minority-Report sense. It is a software program that calculates the odds of parolees to commit further crimes. It is used to evaluate how much supervision is needed for an individual parolee and how likely he is to commit another crime.

From the actual article, not infowars:

When a person goes on probation or parole they are supervised by an officer. The question that officer has to answer is ‘what level of supervision do you provide?’” Berk told ABC News, intimating that the program could have a bearing on the length of sentences and/or bail amounts.

The technology sifts through a database of thousands of crimes and uses algorithms and different variables, such as geographical location, criminal records and ages of previous offenders, to come up with predictions of where, when, and how a crime could possibly be committed and by who.

The program operates without any direct evidence that a crime will be committed, it simply takes datasets and computes possibilities.

“People assume that if someone murdered then they will murder in the future,” Berk also states, “But what really matters is what that person did as a young individual. If they committed armed robbery at age 14 that’s a good predictor. If they committed the same crime at age 30, that doesn’t predict very much.”

Sorry for the large quote but I guess these snippets are essential to the understanding of what this actually is.

Just that no one accuses me of being pro-NWO or something. I do believe that there are moral problems coming from this technology, like the question of if this technology actually negates the principle that anyone can change. It has a very deterministic view of a personality and basically conflicts the notion that people can change and better themselves to some extent - a principle which is pretty important for a democratic society.

So there are tons of implications - but this is not pre-crime technology per se, this is a software that helps determine the chances of a convict to ever commit crimes again.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Awesome that this story is a top link on the Drudge Report

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
NOTHING is perfect.

You cannot control internet, or what is inside people's mind :

And one more thing : most people cannot understand their own mind, and psychology ... even in the elite

there are "inside lies", unknow known, uncousciousness, fallacious story and ideology

So : maybe the problem is not far from you ...

www.wired.com...

The next generation will be far more ingenious, and open to freedom : because of more knowledge in their hand.

This is not the end of the culture : this is the beginning

The infinite is right in front of us, keep hope

May the force be with you

top topics

join