It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Annual Dolphin/Whale Hunt: 15,000-20,000 to be slaughtered

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Nice videos.

They certainly could be more advanced. After all, they're older than us (as a species)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
@Unity_99

I see what you saying but would you not say that about all animals,they all communicate in their own way and since we are unable too understand them all cannot say they they dont all have names and talk too each other in which ever way they can.

But if they have names or not does not and will not stop whats going on not just with them but all animal species on the human eating list.

We could call them tom,dick and harry and dress them in suits but it wont stop what we do as humans and destroy everything we get out hands on.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013

Hello ATS,

I am fighting back the sad, sick feeling I have after discovering that the small Japanese town of Taiji is about to kick off its Annual Dolphin and Whale Hunt.

Wow. Taiji has REALLY stepped up their game. They must have had some serious investment to get their processing facilities upgraded since last year. 15-20,000 dolphins is a hell of a lot of meat for a town of 3,000 to process in the couple of weeks that the hunt runs.

Curious about the logistics of that. Do you know if they have upgraded the power corridor to the town? That much refrigeration would easily quadruple their energy draw. The processing facility they built three years ago doesn't have nearly the capacity for those numbers - will they be importing portable buildings for this?

Also, how did they get the government to suddenly up their quota by well over 1000 per cent?

And what about the fishermen? There aren't more than 100 in Taiji, and most of them are getting on in years. Are they seriously up to the task of hauling 150 dolphins each over the next few weeks? Going to be some sore backs down there unless they get some assistance.

Congratulations are in order, I suppose. Any small town that can step up to this kind of a challenge deserves respect.

Unless, of course, the OP is just using the national quota for all species of cetaceans for all purposes (meat or catches for aquariums), ignoring the fact that said quota has not been met in years, and insinuating that Taiji is responsible for it all.

Couldnt be that. When have the save the dolphin people ever been engaged in telling lies? It MUST be that the men and women of Taiji have developed superhuman strength over the last 12 months, acquired a 10 billion dollar upgrade to their infrastructure, and for the next few months will become one of the largest temporary employers in Japan.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by vox2442]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
humans are being slaughtered every day and no one cares

so ... I really dont think this is important

Hey Faiol....very true what you're saying here....
Humans are unnecessarily being raped, tortured, beheaded, shot, stabbed, poisoned, cannibalized and so on everyday and no one really cares. So many of us care more about the stray dogs than the homeless. So many people would rather feed a stray dog than to try and help a fraction of the millions of starving people world wide. I think that we just don't care about it anymore....everyone seems so fed up with humanity that we've forgotten who we really are and we prefer animals over our own species....
That my friends is truly sickening and disturbing because one day your life might depend on another humans help, and what goes around comes around!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

It is sick, disgusting and obscene - I try not to hate people, but I loath and detest the Japanese people for doing this.

Apart from the utter cruelty, they are destroying our natural world.

Stop this, you Japanese abusers!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Firstly, I will also admit that I have a soft spot for Dolphins and to a lesser extent Whales. The thing is: many animals are slaughtered every day and it seems they do not receive the same attention. Is it not the emotional attachment we make with certain animals that makes it wrong? Morally speaking, how is killing X chickens for food any different from killing Y Dolphins for food?

You could argue that Dolphins are by and large a lot more intelligent, but do animals with a higher intelligence deserve to be spared from being made into food? We know that both animals have brains and can feel physical anguish so why is killing one okay but killing the other not okay?

(I do not support the hunting of these animals - for "research" or "food" purposes - but I am curious about how members feel about what I asked above.)

[edit on 25/8/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
this is just wrong any way you look at it its wrong

2nd line

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
You could argue that Dolphins are by and large a lot more intelligent, but do animals with a higher intelligence deserve to be spared from being made into food? We know that both animals have brains and can feel physical anguish so why is killing one okay but killing the other not okay?

Even though I'm personally against the unnecessary killing of all animals for food, I still see it as a bigger "sin" to kill a more intelligent animal, such as a dolphin, over a seemingly less intelligent animal, such as a chicken.

No matter which way you look at it, a more intelligent animal will feel more physical and emotional pain than a lesser animal -- due to it being more capable of comprehending the situation. Fear, compassion, love, guilt, appreciation... these are all concepts that are able to exist in the mind of an highly intelligent animal such as a dolphin...and which seemingly do not exist in the minds "lesser" animals, such as chickens.

Which do you think will truly "suffer" more?

All I know is that if I was in a survival situation in which I had to kill an animal for me to survive... I'd much sooner respectfully kill the chicken than I would the dolphin, or the fish over the chicken, etc.

But it is a tragic situation in any case.

[edit on 25/8/10 by Navieko]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
then lets go shoot wolves from helicopters, do some shark finning,
club some baby seals and poison the gulf of mexico.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is awful and the Japanese should stop. Dolphins are cute creatures!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
this is sad dolphins are intelligent and beautiful creatures. why senselessly kill them for no reason? too bad we can't go to this town and slaughter ten or fifteen thousand of it's residents and see how they like it.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I love these things, I think its absoluty discusting how anyone could do something like this. I heard yesterday that since the cove was relised the fisherman have started to put wooden stakes in the dolphins after they kill them to prevent them from bleeding out and causeing more out cry.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Thank you for your reply, I think it was a very good one. :up

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I dont know if anyones mentioned it but "blood dolphins" with rick o' barry and his team back in tajij starts this week on animal planet.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Why do people pick and choose which animals they feel empathy towards ?

People need to stop being hypocritical, and sticking up for certain animals because they're ''cute''.

To avoid being hypocritical, you must either believe that all animals should not be maltreated or killed, or that all animals are fair game to be killed.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

'Scuse me, what business is it of yours which animals I choose to find cute and which animals I don't care for?

I happen to like certain ladies more than others. Hypocritical because I don't love a guttersnipe just as much?

Who made you the judge of my preferences?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
These animals are not at risk for extinction. It's also my understanding that they (whales) taste absolutely delicious.

I don't see a well regulated hunt, or 'slaughter' as you Greenpeace types call it, as having any negative impact on those species. The key there is regulation - strictly enforced quotas.

Granted, it's a pretty grotesque thing to experience, the way they dispatch their prey, but these men are simply trying to make a living.

I'm sick of seeing all of these ultra-liberal, super wealthy morons with a case of moral superiority begrudge these men their livelihood.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Hello ATS,

I am fighting back the sad, sick feeling I have after discovering that the small Japanese town of Taiji is about to kick off its Annual Dolphin and Whale Hunt.

Wow. Taiji has REALLY stepped up their game. They must have had some serious investment to get their processing facilities upgraded since last year. 15-20,000 dolphins is a hell of a lot of meat for a town of 3,000 to process in the couple of weeks that the hunt runs.

Curious about the logistics of that. Do you know if they have upgraded the power corridor to the town? That much refrigeration would easily quadruple their energy draw. The processing facility they built three years ago doesn't have nearly the capacity for those numbers - will they be importing portable buildings for this?

Also, how did they get the government to suddenly up their quota by well over 1000 per cent?

And what about the fishermen? There aren't more than 100 in Taiji, and most of them are getting on in years. Are they seriously up to the task of hauling 150 dolphins each over the next few weeks? Going to be some sore backs down there unless they get some assistance.

Congratulations are in order, I suppose. Any small town that can step up to this kind of a challenge deserves respect.

Unless, of course, the OP is just using the national quota for all species of cetaceans for all purposes (meat or catches for aquariums), ignoring the fact that said quota has not been met in years, and insinuating that Taiji is responsible for it all.

Couldnt be that. When have the save the dolphin people ever been engaged in telling lies? It MUST be that the men and women of Taiji have developed superhuman strength over the last 12 months, acquired a 10 billion dollar upgrade to their infrastructure, and for the next few months will become one of the largest temporary employers in Japan.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by vox2442]

Around 2,000 dolphins are killed in tajij, Its not just them slaughtering dolphins. Thats jsut one place.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

I don't see a well regulated hunt, or 'slaughter' as you Greenpeace types call it, as having any negative impact on those species. The key there is regulation - strictly enforced quotas.

I'm no 'Greenpeace type', BUT......

What's with this roping off of the cove?

Do they trap the dolphins in this cove and then slaughter them when they have no way to escape?

And they do this annually as some sort of sick celebration? There is no real need for the food, they just do it satisfy some blood lust?

What a bunch of BALL-LESS sissies!

And you approve of this?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by Monger

I'm no 'Greenpeace type', BUT......

What's with this roping off of the cove?

Do they trap the dolphins in this cove and then slaughter them when they have no way to escape?

And they do this annually as some sort of sick celebration? There is no real need for the food, they just do it satisfy some blood lust?

What a bunch of BALL-LESS sissies!

And you approve of this?

this kids a tosser.
cause yeah thats right without us humans every speices on the planet would over run
yep thats right the earth needs us to control the growth of animals.
cause you know, nature cant take care of itself
mouron.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

What do you guys (or girls) think?

I think this shows the lack of compassion on the part of the Japanese people towards the cetaceans. They do not seem to care at all that these animals are tricked into the cove, and then killed in brutal and horrifying manners. The dolphins are obviously in panic and pain.

www.seashepherd.org...

www.seashepherd.org...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join