It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the silliest questions in the world - Are we alone in the universe?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This is a question that made sense in 1960 or 1970 because of our lack of knowledge and understanding. In 2010 it's one of the silliest questions in the world.

The question is not are we alone but where are they at? This is just a matter of statistics and probability. We have extremophiles, exoplanets, water found on other moons and planets, the building blocks of life found on comets and more.

What we know is that life finds a way. We also have to look at silicon, plasma and methane based lifeforms.

So the question where are they, comes down to 3 camps.

1. The camp that says they have visited us and the evidence is overwhelming via alien abductions, radar reports, mass sightings, trace evidence, pictures, videos and more. (I'm in this camp)

2. Those who say life exist on other planets but there's no evidence that we have been visited. (This is some skeptics)

3. There's no evidence and we are most likely alone in the universe. (Most pseudoskeptics and debunkers)

This is also a matter of thermodynamics. If the atmosphere of a planet is chaotic then organisms can evolve there because they have a place to dump their entropy. If a planet is closer to equilibrium then life will not evolve there because there's no place to dump entropy.

Life is a fundamental property of the universe and life is attracted to places where it can flourish and dump entropy vs places closer to equilibrium. This means the universe is filled with microbial and intelligent lifeforms.

So the question, are we alone belongs with the question is the earth flat.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising

Oh, yeah? Just show us a bit of evidence that proves there's alien life out there. Not some conjecture, or statistical nonsense and probabilities, because there ain't gonna be no 27% aliens out there. They either 100% exist or they don't. Cough up the proof.

That's what I thought.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I can prove that the Earth is not flat - beyond all doubt. You cannot prove the same about the other half of that statement - that we are not alone. That is the difference in the two questions. They are not the same.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
i completely agree..

First response to any sceptic is " there are more grains of sand on earth than planets in our Galaxy, now tell me that not one of those planets doesnt have life".

To think such a thing is ludicrious!

There are other lifeforms out there, we dont understand space, how it works, how to travel vast distances in a short space of time etc..

I believe the goverments know a lot more than we do and have been hiding a lot of secrets for a long long time, its just up to us all to crack these secrets and make them public knowledge in our lifetime.. that would make me a happy man.

I could go on about tesla, the roswell incident, stealth technology being present 20 years before we knew about it, fibre optics, etc etc, but the hardcore ufologists out there know the deal.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by zeetroyman]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
there are billions of stars in our galaxy alone, and our galaxy is one of billions. that means hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of billions of planets out there orbiting stars. there is no concrete proof that they are out there, but there is something you can use called logic or common sense and both of these things will tell you that the universe is teeming with life.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Oh, yeah? Just show us a bit of evidence that proves there's alien life out there. Not some conjecture, or statistical nonsense and probabilities, because there ain't gonna be no 27% aliens out there. They either 100% exist or they don't. Cough up the proof.

That's what I thought.

What reason would we have NOT to believe that life exists out there? It exists here, so there's proof of life in the cosmos....

Unless you've found some reason to believe that it doesn't...which we'd like to hear...

*wishes* Please don't cite a religious reason.....

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeetroyman
I could go on about tesla, the roswell incident, stealth technology being present 20 years before we knew about it, fibre optics, etc etc...

And how do any of these things have anything to do with aliens or alien life? There are other possibilities, you know. Consider the alternatives. Don't be so quick to connect Point A to a hypothetical Point B that has never even been proven to exist.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Even if there is one planet with life per galaxy, there would still be billions of galaxys with life. We cannot search beyond our universe for exoplanets. I think we saw one exoplanet in another galaxy, but because of the distance it is to grainy.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I agree!

The universe is so large there has to be more life out there than that confined to this rock. Also if the universe is infinte then not only is there life out there then theres also another Earth, one with an exact copy of you, me, everybody.

What about this microbes that has been found to survire in space what if somewhere in the great black yonder this microbe evoled into a space faring creature, like a fish in a vast black ocean.

The shere size of reality is proof enough that life exist beyond planet Earth. whether they have been here, to our home is another question altogether.

Peace.
ALS

[edit on 24-8-2010 by ALOSTSOUL]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkusMaximus
What reason would we have NOT to believe that life exists out there? It exists here, so there's proof of life in the cosmos....

Unless you've found some reason to believe that it doesn't...which we'd like to hear...

I don't believe there is life out there, because there's never been any proof of it presented. There is a lot of suggestive evidence, but not a single iota of proof. There are unique things in the universe, you know.

As it is, nobody knows how a bunch of dead chemicals can wrap themselves up on themselves and decide to reproduce. Nobody. So maybe life starting on this planet was just a tremendous fluke. A one-shot deal.

I'm not saying ET life might not be possible. But I haven't seen any strong evidence to suggest that it actually exists. So I'm not just going to blindly believe it. I'm not a religious person.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

I think that in the future, people will look back and regard it as a 'silly question.' I'm fairly sure that evidence of life will be discovered in our solar system within the lifetimes of people today. Advancing technology and increasingly novel ideas of where to look are what I base these ideas on.

There's always a but.

The 'but' in this case, is we honestly don't know.

What we 'think' and what we 'know' are totally different things. Speculating is great. 'What ifs' and 'maybes' are what drives science and adventure.

At this point in time, right now, 'are we alone' is one of the most serious questions out there imo.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think the argument is simple:

Life evolved on earth, so there's your proof that life happens and exists among the stars. And if it happened here, there's no reason to assume that it couldn't have happened anywhere else.

The only reason to assume that it can't or didn't is if you believe that life doesn't evolve over billions of years, and I think we all know why you'd believe that...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I don't believe there is life out there, because there's never been any proof of it presented.

What kind of proof would you like?

As human beings, we can only see so far into the cosmos, and we've only managed to send a probe to the edge of our solar system, which is like saying you've only ventured to the end of your own driveway......

Tell me, if you've only ventured out to the end of your own driveway, should we listen to you if you say that there's nothing past your own driveway? Not logically...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
The universe is so large there has to be more life out there than that confined to this rock.

Why is size all that important? You want me to go though the logic again? Okay...

You have a box. There's a red ball in it.
You have NO IDEA how it got there.
You double the size of the box. Look inside.
How many red balls will be there? One.
You triple the size of the box. How many balls in there now? One. Okay.
A hundred times as big.
A million times as big.

Now you tell me how big that box has to be before there is going to be another ball in it. Are you assuming that some how, at some point, another red ball will magically appear in it? Why? How?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

A hundred times as big.
A million times as big.

Now you tell me how big that box has to be before there is going to be another ball in it. Are you assuming that some how, at some point, another red ball will magically appear in it? Why? How?

Your logic is flawed. The "other" red ball could be so far away that you're not capable (yet) of seeing it. Yet to preemptively deny the possibility of its existence would be folly.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Life allways finds a way...

In your sheets while you sleep, in your food that you eat and even deep under the largest ocean. Life ALLWAYS finds a way and it finds it in anyplace not just this corrupt black berry.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkusMaximus
Your logic is flawed. The "other" red ball could be so far away that you're not capable (yet) of seeing it. Yet to preemptively deny the possibility of its existence would be folly.

But neither can you simply assume that another ball exists in the box if it gets to a certain size, if size is the only variable factor. That's logic, right there. Should I assume that any box of sufficient size will have two or more balls in it?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by robbinsj
Life allways finds a way...

Tell that to all the life hanging out on the surface of Venus. Or the Moon. Or basically anywhere besides Earth. Sure, once life gets going, it's nearly unstoppable. But so far there's no indication that it ever started anywhere other than Earth.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

A hundred times as big.
A million times as big.

Your comment makes no sense?!?

For one; we know how the "red ball" got there and we know there are already other "red balls" in inside the original sized "box".

secondly; we don't need to make the "box" any bigger because we already know its size, not only do we know the size of the "box" we also know how much "stuff" (matter) is in the "box".

You must open your mind to the fact that the Universe is far stranger and exotic than we think.

Size is everything.

Peace.
ALS

[edit on 24-8-2010 by ALOSTSOUL]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
You do know we hardly even looked at any planets in the universe.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join