It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyperinflation has started at your local grocer. Plus security police are being stationed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
We all have noticed... shrinking packages.... but have you REALLY done the math? a 14 oz can of beans (used to be 16 oz) cost up to $1.80 a can! up from .50 cents a few years ago! By shrinking packages many food costs are up already over 200% on everydayitems! YIKES

Dried beans are still a great value... Stock up while you still can... Have you noticed less and less in your food products but more packaging and wrap.
(to justify the costs i suppose)

while you are at is has anyone noticed "security or police" stationed in large grocers in large cities?

It seems we are being conditioned to their presence. There was a report.a few weeks ago. (I cant find it) that large box stores are liniting bags of beans flour and rice.

Lets hope I am wrong for what I am thinking....

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Yeah they wanted me to pay 1.30 for a can of corn the other day. *snip* that. Turkey was 5 bucks a pound. the only good deal i got was 10 chicken breast for 10 bucks.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

I live close to Terre Haute, Indiana and the last time i was at one of the bigger stores there was a sign that limited the number of bags of rice, beans and flour you could buy. My wife and I always get the limit for each one of us and go through the checkout separately. The town I live in is in Illinois about 40 miles away, and so far we haven't had any limits on anything. I've got a good stockpile, but I'm always adding to it. Ammo and Food ! !

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I've been noticing this for months. I live in a rural area, so about once a month I travel 30 miles to a Winco to stock up on things like juice, cereal, meat, bread, frozen goods, etc. (Produce and weekly misc I either grow myself or buy locally). Just over a year ago, my 19-year-old stepson was living with us. As you can imagine, he eats A LOT. After he moved out, I figured I would be spending a lot less on food. But now, even though we're buying about 1/2 of what we used to, the total price at the register is about the SAME!!!

The government fiddled inflation figures aren't fooling anyone. Food is going up, up, up - and incomes are down.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
A friend of mine who is an assistant manager in a large city Cub Foods has confirmed this to me, stating that Big Foods are repacking foods in smaller packages now, especially cereal, chips and dinner items, and charging more money.

Of course, this is not being publicly announced.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
We started noticing with garbage bags (less bags, higher price) of all things a couple years ago. Luandry detergent, cereal, toilet paper is not as wide as it used to be also.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I've worked in grocery stores for a while and Let me tell you what I've seen.

Portion sizes generaly fluctuate between a 4 to 6 oz can, a 14 to 16 oz can, a 28-32 oz can,a 44 to 48 oz can, and 56 to 64 oz can.
The same goes for plastic bottles. The size has not really changed.

Different can sizes seem to do more with what they have in thier warehouse. Here's the catch though...

Most people do not pay attention to how much they are being charged per ounce. It is listed right there on the shelf,in small letters and numbers,but hardly anyone looks.
People could save a lot of money if they checked the price per ounce and went for the brand that gives the best deal. People are stuck on brand named items though so they will continue to pay ALOT more per ounce for some things when generic or off brands are just as good and sometimes better.

If you shop smart you can save a lot.

What scares me are the prices.Grocery prices have almost trippled in the last 25 years, while wages have doubled.

I don't see the sizes getting smaller, just fluctuating alot,but you are getting ripped off, I agree.

Just for fun, next time you are in a grocery store,check the little price per oz on the tags in the seasoning section.
It might surprise you.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOMALY502

And those toilet paper rolls, are getting more cardboard in the center, less tissue, even the double rolls are not what they used to be.
Spaghettie and macaronie bags are getting smaller.
Apple juice used to be bigger but now its the same price for a smaller can.

I try to preserve what ever is available.

Any one notice how MSG is available everywhere? I heard a few years ago this was soposed to be a banned substance, or what ever the correct term for that is.

I have also noticed, lots of stuff to preserve things is being sold at the grocerys now... stuff i have never even heard of before.. I cant think of any names of them right now but if anyone is interested I can look next time I do my grocerys, which is often as I have 2 teenagers and a younger one.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
theres a city cop at the local store ,parking lot security also. granted there's a bank and pharmacy inside. cameras everywhere of course. i am definitely stocking up on dry goods and canned specials..and ammo - as able..
i've had no luck stockpiling beer.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
What I have noticed is that every big grocery store I shop at has security people, in uniforms that look a lot like police, they have actual police cars patrolling the parking lots frequently and the in-store security people are constantly scowling and glaring at everyone as if they expect a riot to break out any minute.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The shrinking of packages and price hikes started years ago. I remember first noticing it back in 2007. I barely get out to purchase fast-food, but the other day when I was at a popeye's I noticed the prices and how little the portions were and was amazed. I KNOW this supposed 3% constant inflation is complete bs.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I work in a retail store management, for a cvs in southwest CT..today, smuckers strawberry jelly 16 oz. $4.89!!! wonder bread white bread, big loaf, $3.45 packages have started getting smaller since about 2008, just beofre the crash, ironically..thast when laundry detergents went from 100 OZS bottle at about $7.99 to 50 oz. bottles at $7.99 effin gyp n ripp off.
Soups has astronomically gone up in price. few years ago, we sold progresso for about $2.79 a can, as of today $3.39! the price always goes up. paper towles have started doing the same thing, with bounty, rolls got cut in half and still sold at regualr retail... i refuse to buy anyting with a corporate name on it..besides i like the CVS paper towels or bathroom tissue..the green ones*
doing outdates today, i noticed DOLE fruit ina cup we sell. the mandarine orange one, get this...is imported from china! box says so. imagine that, oranges will be next.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It all jsut seems planned out* the boxes and packages being cut in half, yet being sold at full reail of a larger box, months before the 2008 collapse* i highly doubt that its coincidental..it wa set this way, and the companys effin know too it bet.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

Food is a commodity and it's price is variable to demand/supply and dependent commodity (fuel cost to trasport etc) .... thus, increasing prices of Food is not a sign of "Inflation" or "Deflation" but rather on the reasoning behind it.. it's not an indicator, it's the effect of the cause.

The cause?

Depreciating Dollar.. that in it's self causes PRICE inflation, but the reason why the dollar is depreciating is Deflation.. our national economy is producing less, spending less, and thus contracting, bringing the Dollar down with it which will cause food, gas, gold and other commodities to sore in price.

My bet is you will start to see further price deflation of consumer goods (not food) due to lower spending and a contracting economy.

Not hyper inflation my friend.

Deflation is more terrifying than inflation by the way.. you can't have hyper inflation without a massive and severe deflationary spiral.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by Rockpuck]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Yestraday on NY news channel, they said to expect bacon to go up in price and would most likely affect sugar too...i forget the reason, salmonela scare or someting is winding down, not as many people were buying bacon, and now they are, hence forth the rising cost. too bad the pigs wernt infected with mad cow disease or rabies
that would end the meat industry as we know it!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I usually don't do the majority of the shopping for our house but I have noticed many things skyrocketing in price.

My Mom used to drink soda all the time but now can't afford it simply because it has more than doubled in price for her favorite brand.

Tuna used to come in 6oz cans but now all are moving to 5oz cans for the same price or even priced higher than it was when it came with more tuna.
I almost found that funny since Tuna Helper calls for a 6oz can, but just try and find 6oz cans anymore

Lots of products are getting bigger dimples under the container. I noticed this on so many products that used to have almost flat bottoms but now have a huge indent so to look like it's the size it always has been until you pick it up and look at the bottom.

Even Coca Cola has got on the game. They are using new bottles to look rounded off like their smaller plastic bottles have for some time. Well I checked and found out they put less product in the bottle now. I was suspicious in the first place since the rounded "cooler" look seemed sleeker than all the other regular round 2 liter bottles and well I was right. They hold less than all the other brands do in the 2 liter bottles and they now increased the price. Heck they increased the price on all soda brands.
Not that soda is good for you or important, but I find it almost ludicrous that soda prices have gone up so much in the past few years that now you can buy some brands of beer cheaper than what it cost to buy soda.

Canned goods seem to keep going up EVERY time I go grocery shopping. It's getting ridiculous when they want $1.59 for even the crap store brands of corn and peas. Some of them costing almost double what they did

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Canned food isnt goo for you..fluroide and BPA *
what i dont get or understand at all..is why since 2008, just before the crash, ddi the big companys that sell the commercial food we all know, including detergents, go to half the size and charge full retail of the larger package? They musta known something we ddint before the crash..or ti was intentional, like thier in on it* 100 ozs of tide we sold for like $8.99, now its 50 ozs. for $9.49!!! arm and hammer detergent, 100 oze was $7.99, now 50 ozs. at $7.99!!! what gives? not like any of it is actually healhty for us anywyas as we all know* inlcuding milk* $ 4.70 a gallon here..i remember in the 2000's being at $3.19

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
And yesterday at work..a guy i work with, heard in NY, thiers gunna be a ciggarette tax increase* again....$15 a pack o ciggs in NY! nto only are they milking us for the money, its bad enough they literally know nicotine is that dangerously addictive* so people are willing to pay rgardless* where iam, ciggs are about $8.79 after tax, marlboros. of ourse the feminine ciggs, like capri, are like $4.87 but thier not that popular at all.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by darklife
I usually don't do the majority of the shopping for our house but I have noticed many things skyrocketing in price.

My Mom used to drink soda all the time but now can't afford it simply because it has more than doubled in price for her favorite brand.

Tuna used to come in 6oz cans but now all are moving to 5oz cans for the same price or even priced higher than it was when it came with more tuna.
I almost found that funny since Tuna Helper calls for a 6oz can, but just try and find 6oz cans anymore

Lots of products are getting bigger dimples under the container. I noticed this on so many products that used to have almost flat bottoms but now have a huge indent so to look like it's the size it always has been until you pick it up and look at the bottom.

Even Coca Cola has got on the game. They are using new bottles to look rounded off like their smaller plastic bottles have for some time. Well I checked and found out they put less product in the bottle now. I was suspicious in the first place since the rounded "cooler" look seemed sleeker than all the other regular round 2 liter bottles and well I was right. They hold less than all the other brands do in the 2 liter bottles and they now increased the price. Heck they increased the price on all soda brands.
Not that soda is good for you or important, but I find it almost ludicrous that soda prices have gone up so much in the past few years that now you can buy some brands of beer cheaper than what it cost to buy soda.

Canned goods seem to keep going up EVERY time I go grocery shopping. It's getting ridiculous when they want $1.59 for even the crap store brands of corn and peas. Some of them costing almost double what they did

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
It's a revelation to this European to discover what you guys consider food. Because you're all talking about manufactured items ... bottles of Coca Cola, tinned this, packaged that.

What about fresh food ? You know, the cheap & good stuff which hasn't found its way through a chemical factory. What's happening with the price of fresh fruit & vegetables, fresh meat, poultry & fish ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join