It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Activity Watch 2010

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Sunspot 1109 is just about to turn the corner and leave us for now and sunspot 1111 went away already.

No large coronal holes now either.

If nothing else pops up when 1109 leaves, the Sun will be spotless again.

spaceweather.com...

Have a great day!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
found this artical on aanother site, dont know if it old news or what but tought it was an interesting read and its about solar activity

When probing the deepest reaches of the Cosmos or magnifying our understanding of the quantum world, a whole host of mysteries present themselves. This is to be expected when pushing our knowledge of the Universe to the limit.
But what if a well-known -- and apparently constant -- characteristic of matter starts behaving mysteriously?

Discovery - This is exactly what has been noticed in recent years; the decay rates of radioactive elements are changing. This is especially mysterious as we are talking about elements with "constant" decay rates -- these values aren't supposed to change. School textbooks teach us this from an early age.

This is the conclusion that researchers from Stanford and Purdue University have arrived at, but the only explanation they have is even weirder than the phenomenon itself: The sun might be emitting a previously unknown particle that is meddling with the decay rates of matter. Or, at the very least, we are seeing some new physics.

www.youtube.com...

A solar eruption sends a wave of plasma hurtling towards Earth on August 1st, 2010.
The event was captured by NASA satellites and explained by Discovery News Space Producer Ian O'Neill.
Many fields of science depend on measuring constant decay rates. For example, to accurately date ancient artifacts, archaeologists measure the quantity of carbon-14 found inside organic samples at dig sites. This is a technique known as carbon dating.

Carbon-14 has a very defined half-life of 5730 years; i.e. it takes 5,730 years for half of a sample of carbon-14 to radioactively decay into stable nitrogen-14. Through spectroscopic analysis of the ancient organic sample, by finding out what proportion of carbon-14 remains, we can accurately calculate how old it is.

But as you can see, carbon dating makes one huge assumption: radioactive decay rates remain constant and always have been constant. If this new finding is proven to be correct, even if the impact is small, it will throw the science community into a spin.

Interestingly, researchers at Purdue first noticed something awry when they were using radioactive samples for random number generation. Each decay event occurs randomly (hence the white noise you'd hear from a Geiger counter), so radioactive samples provide a non-biased random number generator.

However, when they compared their measurements with other scientists' work, the values of the published decay rates were not the same. In fact, after further research they found that not only were they not constant, but they'd vary with the seasons. Decay rates would slightly decrease during the summer and increase during the winter.

Experimental error and environmental conditions have all been ruled out -- the decay rates are changing throughout the year in a predictable pattern. And there seems to be only one answer.

As the Earth is closer to the sun during the winter months in the Northern Hemisphere (our planet's orbit is slightly eccentric, or elongated), could the sun be influencing decay rates?

In another moment of weirdness, Purdue nuclear engineer Jere Jenkins noticed an inexplicable drop in the decay rate of manganese-54 when he was testing it one night in 2006. It so happened that this drop occurred just over a day before a large flare erupted on the sun.

Did the sun somehow communicate with the manganese-54 sample? If it did, something from the sun would have had to travel through the Earth (as the sample was on the far side of our planet from the sun at the time) unhindered.

The sun link was made even stronger when Peter Sturrock, Stanford professor emeritus of applied physics, suggested that the Purdue scientists look for other recurring patterns in decay rates. As an expert of the inner workings of the sun, Sturrock had a hunch that solar neutrinos might hold the key to this mystery.

Sure enough, the researchers noticed the decay rates vary repeatedly every 33 days -- a period of time that matches the rotational period of the core of the sun. The solar core is the source of solar neutrinos.

It may all sound rather circumstantial, but these threads of evidence appear to lead to a common source of the radioactive decay rate variation. But there's a huge problem with speculation that solar neutrinos could impact decay rates on Earth: neutrinos aren't supposed to work like that.

Neutrinos, born from the nuclear processes in the core of the sun, are ghostly particles. They can literally pass through the Earth unhindered as they so weakly interact. How could such a quantum welterweight have any measurable impact on radioactive samples in the lab?

In short, nobody knows.

If neutrinos are the culprits, it means we are falling terribly short of understanding the true nature of these subatomic particles. But if (and this is a big if) neutrinos aren't to blame, is the sun generating an as-yet-to-be- discovered particle?

If either case is true, we'll have to go back and re-write those textbooks.

edit on 6-10-2010 by scoobyrob because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2010 by scoobyrob because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I'm no expert but to me this seems to show we will cop the full brunt of this massive solar flare starting around the 15th Oct. Venus almost blocks it but not quite.

iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...:44:00&window=-1&cygnetId=261

Any thoughts?

Cheers

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209
I'm no expert but to me this seems to show we will cop the full brunt of this massive solar flare starting around the 15th Oct. Venus almost blocks it but not quite.

iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...:44:00&window=-1&cygnetId=261

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Your link does not work.

I did read about a large filament a few days ago, related?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Pardon my newbieness. Dont know why the link came out like that but if you click that link then copy the rest and paste it it should work.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
There was an M2.9 flare from region 11112 at 19:07 UTC.
Doesn't seem to be a CME associated with it.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Good morning everyone!

I am sorry that I have not been on for the last week and a bit. I have been horribly ill, and just now feeling better. Unfortuantely, I am leaving today on a week long trip today, so I am asking any of the regulars on here to keep posting any cool news or solar related events.

The sun is getting really active again with 4 sunspots currently facing us, a solar wind that is sparking some minor Northern Lights, the M-3 flare from this weekend that Phage posted, and a monster filament on the sun right now:

MEGA SOLAR FILAMENT: An awesome, monstrous, jaw-dropping, 400,000 km long filament of magnetism is stretched across the sun's southern hemisphere. If it collapses or erupts, as filaments often do, the result could be an Earth-directed coronal mass ejection. Meanwhile it is a fine target for backyard solar telescopes.

spaceweather.com...

So, have a great week, keep watching the Sun, and I'll see you all again real soon!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
"GEOMAGNETIC STORM WARNING: NOAA forecasters estimate a 40% chance of severe geomagnetic storms around the poles on Oct. 25th. The forecast is prompted by a possible double whammy: both a solar wind stream and a CME could hit Earth's magnetic field on that date. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras. "

From Space Weather Report

Looks like we may have some communication disruptions and maybe some aurora's! I had noticed the FM radio have traffic break in from people talking on radio's for businesses . . . hmmm. I will check it out tonight and tomorrow night for the aurora. I hope nothing happens to the power grid, I have got a lot of worked scheduled for the plant!

It could be a double whammy of a Solar Storm and CME event!! Yikes! But, I think will all still be here on the 26th!

edit on 10/24/10 by mel1962 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

Thanks so much for the info - will definitely keep in touch here for updates. My boyfriend is a Ham operator, I just informed him of the event. Keeping my fingers crossed on the power grid not being affected.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
What will be the cumulative affect of these solar storms and cme's? Instead of one huge storm knocking out our power grid, perhaps it will be a nickle and dime effect.

It seems like these solar storms are starting to train like regular thunderstorms, not one being sever but we seem to be getting hit every few days.

I wonder if we are already experiencing power outages as a result?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
"ACTIVE SUNSPOT: Old sunspot 1112 is back and it is crackling with C- and M-class solar flares: SDO movie. So far none of the blasts has been geo-effective because of the sunspot's location on the sun's eastern limb. Solar rotation is, however, turning the active region toward Earth, so stay tuned."

Spaceweather.com

Possible percentage of M Flares - 70%
edit on 5-11-2010 by crazydaisy because: Insert

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
M class solar flare just reported. Triggered a "minor" radio blackout.

www.solarcycle24.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Here is the latest update from NOAA:

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Event Probabilities 07 Nov-09 Nov
Class M 85/85/85
Class X 20/20/20
Proton 05/05/05
PCAF green

85% Chance of an M Class
20% Chance of an X Class

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

M5 strip Nov 6, 2010

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy

M5 strip Nov 6, 2010

A visual message to mankind from Yahweh and His Holy Angelic forces. See the profile of the Lion? Other messages are encoded within. It's a visual sign in the heavens including WAR.

Yahweh is getting ready to take on those ruining the Earth, and let everyone know where the crap flying at this planet comes forth from.

Watch as things become much worse as Yahweh pours out His wrath upon mankind leading up to Armageddon. It is His will that you all know exactly where it is coming from.

Matthew 10:34 "Don't assume that I came to bring peace on the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Exodus 15:3 "The LORD is a warrior; Yahweh is His name."

"There will be no peace on Earth until My Son's Kingdom. I will crush every kingdom now standing and rock the earth off its foundation. I Yahweh will destroy every enemy to My throne, and who can stop Me? Who can turn back My anger? No one." - Yahweh

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The International Space Weather Initiative
"Nov. 8, 2010: Prompted by a recent increase in solar activity, more than a hundred researchers and government officials are converging on Helwan, Egypt, to discuss a matter of global importance: storms from the sun. The “First Workshop of the International Space Weather Initiative (ISWI)” meets Nov. 6th through 10th and is convened by the United Nations, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)."

"Strong solar storms can knock out power, disable satellites, and scramble GPS," says meeting organizer and ISWI executive director Joe Davila of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. "This meeting will help us prepare for the next big event."

Nasa Science News

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

edit on 9-11-2010 by crazydaisy because: Double post

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
New sunspots forming, could cause C class flares over next couple of days.

Two days ago, sunspot 1130 didn't exist. Now the fast-growing sunspot group is the largest visible feature on the sun's disk with twin cores both larger than Earth.

If the magnetic field becomes unstable and explodes, as sunspot magnetic fields often do, a cloud of plasma could come flying toward Earth. This active region merits watching for the next few days until the sun's rotation turns it away from our planet.

spaceweather.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Just linking this back as it has a reference to CMEs which makes it the right thing for this forum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Thinking it is safe to say that there has been a noticable increase in Sun activity recently. As expected by scientists/astronomers. Shows, documenteries, and CNN specials letting us know just how likely a severe conequence to Earth and our electrical grid is during the upcoming peak period.

Knowing that the Sun is entering a cyclic activity peak during 2012, that means the window between now and the end of 2012 first part of 2013 will likely bring a crap load of events. Getting more intense as we move closer to 2012.

I am far from being any kind of expert on the sun, but have become convinced that we will see some major events via the Sun in the near future.

Just two cents from a newbie !

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join