It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Activity Watch 2010

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Solar Activity Watch 2010

www.abovetopsecret.com

Search on ATS reveals that there was a great Sun Watch type of thread in the past (great content and decent post traffic throughout 2009), but with only one entry in all of 2010, besides lots of little threads popping up whenever something big was in the news.

With all of the recent solar activity taking place, the sun approaching solar maximum, and how many threads keep popping up on each event, I thought it would be prudent to have a single thread, especially for all of the avid sun watcher!
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Sun Watch Thread!!!
Solar flare heading towards earth -nasa
Space Weather reports possibility of Hyder Flare

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The Sun Watch Thread was a really good one (great job Free4Ever2!), but it seems like it has lost interest. It is my hope that this thread gets filled with scientific data and debate regarding any Solar Activity that pops up for the remainder of this year. There should be another thread like this for each year thereafter, like the Hurricane, Quake, and Volcano threads.

As activity increases, some people might start fear mongering. I hope that through this thread, we can keep that nonsense to a minimum, while at the same time, invite strong debate on the various conspiracies involving the sun (flare/quake relationships, global warming, communication blackouts from CME's, etc.).

If anyone else has some good links regarding the sun, please post them so that everyone can benefit.

Solar Activity Links:

SpaceWeather:
spaceweather.com...

NOAA / Space Weather Prediction Center:
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

SpaceRef:
www.spaceref.com...

Solar Flare Theory Educational Web pages:
hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Recent News Articles:

The strange case of solar flares and radioactive elements:
news.stanford.edu...

Amazing Image: Map of Magnetic Field Lines of the Sun:
www.universetoday.com...

Keeping a good eye on the sun can only help to warn us if something amazing is taking place. Personally, I am very curious about what we are going to learn during this Solar Maximum coming up, as we have more advanced equipment to study the sun this time around.

And here is an awesome photo from one of the articles above:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ecfd60b75ce.jpg[/atsimg]

www.abovetopsecret.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I have only seen the Northern lights a few times and I am very envious of those who can, like now:

spaceweather.com...

AURORA ALERT: A solar wind stream is buffeting Earth's magnetic field and causing geomagnetic activity around the poles....

...High-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras as the solar wind continues to blow.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I for one will be a regular to your thread! I am hooked on every thing to do with the Sun.

Yesturday i was glued to space weather site as the proton density got higher and higher as the day wen on. It reached around 79.8 protons/cm3.

As i am not educated in this department i made a thread about proton density so people with more knowledge could explain it more to me.

My Thread

I also had a theory about solar activity and earthquakes.

Sun Spots and Earthquakes

I hope this thread takes off as its an interesting suject.

s+f good work!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Thank you very much and welcome. I did check out your threads, thank you for the links to them.

The sun really amazes me. Maybe I am weird (ok, not maybe), but I like tracking everything that happens on the sun, so that I can learn more about what all of it means.

I thought about a thread like this a lot over the last few weeks, especially when the sun had so much activity going on at once.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Possibility for Geomagnetic strom and northern lights:

Updated at: 2010 Aug 23 2201 UTC
Mid-latitudes 0-24 hr 24-48 hr
ACTIVE 25 % 35 %
MINOR 05 % 10 %
SEVERE 01 % 05 %

High latitudes 0-24 hr 24-48 hr
ACTIVE 25 % 35 %
MINOR 05 % 15 %
SEVERE 01 % 10 %

spaceweather.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The premise of this thread is a good idea.

But why didn't you put some more effort into it before you made a post like this?

Is this a penurious attempt at collecting ATS Points? Naughty boy. Just kidding.

You could have at least quantized and rehashed some data from the other thread you mentioned though.

Anyway, good luck on compiling some useful data in this thread. If I come across anything of value to add, I will be sure to contribute.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by susp3kt]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

Well, I appreciate your comments. Even though I think 'penurious' is a little bit strong, lol.

I did reference links from that thread, and others. However, my thoughts on this one is to make it so that there is a current, and on-going discussion on Solar activity. It is a shame that attention shifted away from that thread, but maybe that was because of how slow everything was going with the sun back then.

While I have posted on a few other threads not relating to Earth Sciences, my focus since I came on ATS has not been for points, but rather to discuss natural occuring events, like Solar Maximum. I am an avid quake, volcano, and hurricane watcher, and I have been dissapointed that there has not been a thread on just the sun.

Even though I have read all of the other threads, is there anything in particular that you think I overlooked? I would be happy to add it and cite for reference. Just about everything on those older threads relate to events that happened at those times. I apologize if I missed something.

Anyway, please feel to post news about Solar activity and thank you for stopping by. I look forward to your contributions.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by lasertaglover]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I made those comments in jest.

Your ATS Points count is of no concern to me.

I do look forward to this thread gathering momentum though. Like I said, as of right now I have nothing relevant, but if I come across anything, I most definitely will post it.

The best to ya!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I think having one thread is a bad idea. If there is a huge solar flair coming, I think we all have the right to know about it. The sun is starting to pick up momentum and there going is to be a lot more threads about it, so get use to it. If solar flairs don't interest you, than don't click on the link.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by ambient moon]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Solar Cycle 24 Amature page
www.solarcycle24.com...

NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory
sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Wow! Thank you, thank you. That Solar Cycle 24 site is really great!

Besides having awesome solar gauges right at the top of the page, it also happens to have a nice zoomed in picture of the new sunspot that is emerging over the sun's eastern limb:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/919157e1bda2.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Wow, I'm going to have to concur with lasertaglover.

SOLARCYCLE24 is one nice site. I haven't had a chance to explore it thoroughly yet, but it looks like a 1-stop shop for all our solar needs.

Thank you.

That must be one lonely sunspot, eh?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ambient moon

I do not mean for this thread to be all-inclusive at all. In fact, when something major does happen, like a strong Earth directed CME or X-Class solar flare, by all means, please make as many threads as you like.

However, those threads will fade away as whatever 'events' are forgotten by the MSM and the public. This thread is to track Solar Activity whenever something happens, little or big.

In no way do I mean for this thread to eclipse (pardon the solar pun ha ha lol), any major event. Hopefully, Sun enthusiasts will come back to this thread often and post some good Solar current events, knowledge, general articles, even a conspiracy or two.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

When you get the chance, there are a lot of nice features on there.

The trend charts that are at the upper right hand side of the home page are really interesting. Wow, check out the comparisons between Cycle 23 and now.

www.solarcycle24.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Fairly quiet solar activity today.

Sunspot 1101 looks big but the chances for flares are low.

spaceweather.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
2 sunspots, 1100 and 1101 are facing towards us, but both are pretty quiet.

We are inside a solar stream so there is a 50% chance of geomagnetic activity in the next 24 hours for high latitude sky viewers.

Have a great day!

spaceweather.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I have to admit I'm not educated at all on Solar Issues... but when reviewing the link shared I was struck with the beauty of the Sun.

I had to post this picture of the Sun TODAY!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/292f95a71df3.jpg[/atsimg]

The Sun Now showing the AIA Wavelengths.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Whoaaaa that picture I posted is HUGE...
sorry, still figuring out how to do everything on this site!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OceanStone

Thank you for the photo. It is a little tricky trying to get them to fit....I love the Current Solar Image link at the bottom of the Space Weather site.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join