It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter gets struck again by another asteroid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Surprisingly in the southern hemisphere from what I see in the video. According to the article that is another strike within 13 months from the last strike Jupiter has had one. I am surprised it ain't posted on this site and this was done on the 20th of August.

snippet from the spaceweather article:

Jupiter is getting hit more often than conventional wisdom would suggest, leading many researchers to call for a global network of telescopes to monitor Jupiter 24/7 and measure the impact rate.

www.spaceweather.com...

libra-co.com... (the video taken)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Is there any significance to Jupiter being hit?

Does it affect us or could it in the future?

If Jupiter is getting hit more often does that mean we are at greater risk as well?

GummB

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Juipter gets hit all the time. BUT MAYBE THERE'S A ROGUE BROWN DWARF OUT THERE CAUSING AN INFLUX OF COMETS AND ASTEROIDS THAT ARE GOING TO DESTROY THE WORLD AS PROPHESIZED BY THE ANNUNKAIFGENT

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by GummB

I find it hard to assign any special significance to the Jupiter asteroid/comet strikes...

Jupiter is a MASSIVE gravity well, and as such, will attract many objects to itself, even objects from far out into space.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Where is OUR asteroid
how come we keep getting the small ones,..
seems so unfair

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

The planet contains 71% of the planetary matter in the solar system and so its huge gravity pulls every object toward it. In fact, most of its moons were captured rather than forming with Jupiter. Scientists watched in awe as comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 broke up and smashed into Jupiter making explosions the size of the Earth.

Jupiter Facts

So Jupiter is kind of like Earth's bodygard, not letting anything big hurt us.

Thank god for Jupiter thats what i say

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Well if there is any credibility to history, Jupiter has missed a few,.
the earth has apparently been hit with a few larger objects that caused some damage,... and well a theorized extinction.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Well a few will get through wont they. But lucky for us we have Jupiter to pull 90% of them away from us.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
That God for Jupiter that's all I can say. It takes some big hits and just keeps rolling on

It's like our planets very own big brother taking the heat for us. I will be raising a glass to Jupiter tonight!

To add Boo you beat me to it! Have a lovely star on me.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I hear a lot from people about how vast space is, and how unlikely it is to be hit by an asteroid, yet you see news like this and you wonder..

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53
I am surprised it ain't posted on this site and this was done on the 20th of August.

Actually, this was already posted:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Just thought I should mention.
We will see an increase in the number of impacts detected as more and more amateurs train video cameras on Jupiter constantly. It's estimated that this occurs once every three weeks but until now it has gone undetected. Until about 7 years ago the focus was still photography of the planets, now it's shifting to video based solutions to produce stacked still images.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GummB
...If Jupiter is getting hit more often does that mean we are at greater risk as well?

Is Jupiter really getting hit more often, or is it just that more people are watching Jupiter these days?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

This is a good point, there wasnt as much observation of Jupiter years ago as there is now.

I think its a good idear to have it observed 24/7 so we know just how much Jupiter takes a beating and what size these objects are that do hit it.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by GummB
...If Jupiter is getting hit more often does that mean we are at greater risk as well?

Is Jupiter really getting hit more often, or is it just that more people are watching Jupiter these days?

Bingo. I really think the switch in the amateur community from still image planetary photography, even from taking lots of stills and stacking them, to video recording and stacking has enabled us to catch these brief transient events for the first time. That's a transition that has really taken place in only the last 7 years or so. I think the biggest change between 7 years ago and now is that storage space is cheap enough that most amateurs have hard drives capable of recording high quality video all night long if they want.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Something needs to be fixed with the search engine on this site. I used every possibility I could think of. It came up with zero results.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Isnt jupiter like a massive planet of gases? I wonder what might be hiding beneath all that gas

Something odd is afoot.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

That's because this thread used to have a much earlier date. Deja vu.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

ha

But I agree something ain't right.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkusMaximus
reply to post by GummB

I find it hard to assign any special significance to the Jupiter asteroid/comet strikes...

Jupiter is a MASSIVE gravity well, and as such, will attract many objects to itself, even objects from far out into space.

That’s kind of what I figured, its huge so two known asteroid in 13 months seems like a pretty miniscule ordeal. However nothing bad can come from simple monitoring. We might even learn more then we ever expected.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Didn't NASA state a few years back that Jupiter impacts should
only be visible on average once every 30-100 years ?
Why doesn't NASA or other agency have a high powered telescope
trained on Jupiter 24/7 ? Frame to frame comparisons using software
would spot these impacts easily. I mean one telescope dedicated
to just Jupiter would not be unreasonable. Why are we dependent
on amateurs to spot these ? Or are we really.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join