It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Reveal "Big News" From Planet-Hunting Spacecraft Thursday

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Couldnt be this could it?

www.news.com.au...

Maybe ESA has outdipped NASA for the big news...even so..this news hardly caused a blink here...people just dont seem to give a damn.
Sad.

Rosha

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
they will say we have discovered a source of light, we have no idea what it is and its 900 trillion billion light years away. scientist are saying its made of chocolate atomic sweetness and can be eaten if cooked correctly. further, we will never get there but nasa is spending hundred of billions on this source of light for no apparent reason even fully knowing how useless it is. all we have to offer you now is a bunch of guess from some schmucks with the word nasa under their names for credibility. even further, we can't see this light, we just know its there using our godlike non-existent BS machine, this machine gave us the big bang theory and now it is giving us this impossible to prove warm pile of crap.

thank you nasa, thank you very much

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I was pretty excited about Kepler, so I'm hoping this is something very significant and important to mankind, like a planet with water, as in H20, methane or other gasses, and a simlar atmosphere & enviroment to Earth or something very simlar. I doubt it will be the motherlode of 'life' though. That'll come when we develop a probe powerful enough to pick up life it's self, and not just the right curcumstances for it.

If it is water, which I think it could very well be, then that would be a HUGE step toward the possibility that we are indeed not alone among the stars. A slightly different atmosphere doesn't have to mean no life either, it would mean a totaly different evolution of the said life yes, but still life.

I've also had a theory for many years that there is life, and then life. Life on Earth, as we know it, and then life that we would not recognise. Perhaps a life that has evolved to breathe a totaly alien gas, feed from something totaly alien or even not require feeding life on Earth does. Just because we set what we call the fundementals of life, this is only the formula for the life we know on our planet, there is no way to tell 100% if these calculations apply on other worlds. I know on Earth there are certain creatures that dwell beneath the earth in caves without oxigen or light. I watched a TV documentery on this once, and since then the thought came to me. We also know cockroaches could probably survive nuclear war.

Come on Kepler, bring back the playload. Another thing, I think it is more probable that NASA may feel some sort of duty to humanity to reveal it's discoveries instead of keeping them secret. This might not happen straight away, as humanity would need to be prepared for something like the discovery of intelligent life, but I think iof Kepler finds extersolar water, which is the most realistic expectation for now, then they would tell us.

~Chez

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
For everyone who thinks the discoveries are boring, not deserving of media attention and should only include an earth shattering discovery I ask you this. How do you expect we reach a truly great discovery without achieving small steps along the way? That's how we learn and gain knowledge, a little at a time. It's seems like too many want instantaneous knowledge of a vast place and forget the study of space is still a relatively new venture.

Would it be better if they didn't share anything for decades until there truly was something absolutely astonishing? Then it would be an issue of there being no discoveries and wondering what they are hiding even more than now. It's asked what the significance of finding planets that we can't travel to is. I ask you why build a spaceship if we don't know where we'd like to go. If we built a spaceship without knowing where to take it I'm sure people would ask why build a spaceship. You simply can't win. I fail to even see this as a lack of patience but rather an ignorance of learning. According to this mindset we should have the knowledge or an astrophysicist by the end of first grade.

I certainly agree with the poster regarding knowing more here on earth and especially the oceans. Discoveries are coming from that field too although I could argue that more should be done. Saying that doesn't mean that I don't think both should be occurring at the same time.

Originally posted by The Chez
I've also had a theory for many years that there is life, and then life. Life on Earth, as we know it, and then life that we would not recognise.

~Chez

I think the same way and as someone else posted, we now have evidence of extremophiles on earth living in conditions we didn't think were possible not very long ago. It's entirely too narrow minded to think life as we know it is the only form of life.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
My speculation: lots and lots of planets everywhere, large and small. Those jagoff bureaucrats are up to their armpits in new planets already, I bet you anything.

When will humanity wake up and unite against the possibility that our nearby neighbors are dangerous? We humans have only been transmitting radio for what....like 100 years max? Many of these newly discovered planets are too far away to be aware of our presence...that is, if they aren't cruising around looking for trouble. What happens when they get a load of our television signals and see what we do to one another? If they show up with a hot dose of planetary murder, will we still be fighting over which imaginary diety deserves to rule our stinky, overpopulated crap dumpster? Or will we be united and ready to collectively as a species extend our right hand in friendship while using our left to throw a sucker nut punch?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by The Chez

kepler cant tell what the planets are like, if they have water etc. It can only tell us the size and orbit.

the most interesting announcement at this stage would be a a small rocky world in the HZ of an M class star. We have to wait 3 years to confirm a planet in the HZ of a star like our sun.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

It will probably go something like this ...

" Very Earth-like planet discovered nearby !"

..... "hang on .... doh!

somebody's pushed the 180 degree rotation button !"

" It's US ! "

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rosha
Couldnt be this could it?

www.news.com.au...

Maybe ESA has outdipped NASA for the big news...even so..this news hardly caused a blink here...people just dont seem to give a damn.
Sad.

Rosha

Yes they have their Master Chef to keep them happy eh!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Maybe they invented a copy and paste for earth

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Info - what I've learned...

I've spent the last few hours e-mailing and contacting individuals, I know, who follow NASA and do have contacts within the organisation. From what I understand, its pretty vague, but NASA is to announce a discovery of a similar solar system (maybe identical to the European discovery, but my source didn't say) to ours has been located - and an Earth like planet has been discovered in the habitable zone.

Kelper does not have the tools to "read" the planet, but NASA does have methods to do so. I *think* Hubble can. Key word being "think"

But this is what I've learned.

There are other rumours it might be a binary star system too.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread605648/pg1#p
Iid9462951]post by DocEmrick[
I am so tired of the people who think that trashing the United States makes them sound as if they are smarter, or better read, or wiser than everybody else.
I do agree that we should put our flag on it first.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I think you may be right in saying that Hubble could be used to provide more data on a planet. I think that in the visible region in particular it would be useful.

If you have contacts within NASA we may be able to collaborate on research. However, I cannot send you a personal message until I have posted more so perhaps if you send me a message I can get back to you when I have posted a few more times?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

That news was from the EU team announced on Tuesday, and they didn't use Kepler to spot the planets. So it's unlikely that's what the announcement will be about, unless Kepler was used to do some follow up work and confirm the findings.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

kepler can't find an earth-sized planet in the HZ of a sun-like star. They havnt collected enough data.

at best it will be an earth sized planet in the HZ of an M star. this is an altogether diffirent proposition.

Hubble wont be able to see an earth-size planet.

A binary star planetary system would be cool though.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
There are a flood of rumours hitting the press and the blogsphere about numerous planetary systems being detailed by NASA tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
info on HD 10180 and orbit of the planets, in relation to their host star

wiki HD 10180

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

in other words a terrible system for any habitable planets. You never know though it could have habitable exomoons around one of those bigger planets.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Wouldn't it just be creepy if one day, we pointed our telescopes out into the dark vast emptiness of outer space and focused on another telescope pointing at us!!!???

I wonder if they will combine research notes and have SETI (& others) scan these earth like planets... Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

ya Nasa will say that the Euro agencies findinds are wrong and that there is nothing to see here and that we should move along.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
everytime I hear about this research it makes me wonder. Have they ever pointed this telescope at the Zeta system? The supposed system of the Grays that Betty Hill drew the star map of? I would be intregued to see what they find and if indeed they find a planetary system there with inhabitable planets in the "goldylock zone" similar to Earth. That I would say would be stunning news!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join