It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Reveal "Big News" From Planet-Hunting Spacecraft Thursday

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
More indirect irrelevent to current crisis BS, to take the eye off the ball on 3d,.. I'm sure.

Certainly not holding my breath !!

"The milk over time has been churned once too often...what was once flowing, has now turned to sour butter !!! " Frontal Labotomae

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
You know, what NASA doesn't tell us is with exception of the tidally locked ones they all have magnetic fields. And furthermore, 99% of the rocky worlds, even the gas giants with rocky cores, have molten cores. This means temperature estimates for worlds situated further out from their parent stars are 99% wrong because it does not take into consideration the constitution and thickness of the atmospheres, which the majority of are thicker than Earth's due to higher gravities. Thicker atmospheres hold in more heat, and larger bodies stay hotter longer.

That is what they don't tell you. Goldilocks is fictitious.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Maybe they found a planet that is emitting artificial light.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I am curious if its related to this article:

ESO Discovery

I made a thread about the latest discovery on ATS since im not sure if its related to the NASA announcement, or if NASA has something entirely different they are going to talk about.

ATS Thread - ESO Discovery

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Xcathdra]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
I'm pretty sure NASA's big news is the same big news every time...

We discovered one or more planets that are kinda like Earth really far away-- tho we have no intention of going there, getting pictures, or really doing anything about it... Just letting you know they exist....

Exciting!

So you find the fact that we're finding more solar systems like our own, with huge numbers of exosolar planets like ours boring?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Actually disregard my last post. The article I found stated it was the European (ESO) who located the 7 planet system. It did not say anything about NASA assisting.

Im guessing NASA's announcement is something unrelated now.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Isnt this all just a great waste of time and resource? Couldnt the
money be used more constructively here on earth fixing known
issues? What could they possibly disclose that would be life
altering or of any impact on our day to day at all? Honestly!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. -- NASA will hold a media teleconference Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010, at 10 a.m. PDT to discuss the latest discovery by the Kepler Mission spacecraft about an intriguing star system.

The real announcement from NASA.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget

Isnt this all just a great waste of time and resource? Couldnt the
money be used more constructively here on earth fixing known
issues? What could they possibly disclose that would be life
altering or of any impact on our day to day at all? Honestly!

That computer you are on came in part thanks to research funded through NASA. When we stop reaching for the stars, we become a mere shadow of the Human Spirit that leads to most of the things you take for granted.

The more we know about the Universe, the better we understand this tiny planet. It's all good. The antithesis is we would be still hunting, gathering and dying of old age when our teeth gave out at age 30.

Curiosity and exploration is at the heart of every advance we have made.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I'm pretty certain it's gonna be about an earthlike planet. But what i don't understand is with all the cutbacks and criticism why dont nasa give us something good that they have been hiding? I mean why wouldn't they want our support, keeps us on the edge of our seats for heavens sake!!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Unfortunately, none of these announcements, esp those that 'confirm' earth like planets will mean much to us; we dont have the technology to go to these planets

Unless Keppler found a fleet of ships on their way to earth, theres really not much that will effect us concerning this announcement

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Iam very curious and all for exploration but you didnt answer my
sincere question and i dont think anyone can. Theres nothing out
there that would change our day to day existance, other than some
object travelling in our direction. As far as exploration goes would
it not be of more benefit to finish exploring our own earth first?
So many questions could be answered if they spent as much time
and effort searching our sea floors alone.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by fredster73

What good could they possibly be hiding, can you give
me one clear example of anything relevant to our lives
here on earth?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Agreed. It'll probably be some lame BS, like they think they might have found evidence of water vapor 8 billion miles away.

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
I'm really hoping I'm wrong here but if it was THAT big of news...wouldn't they put it out ASAP...not tease us like a new episode of the Jersey World or whatever the cool kids are watching these days?

Regardless, here's to hoping it's something worthwhile.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Lets be realistic. The Kepler telescope is designed to detect celestial objects in a fixed field of view of space and since January has only discovered "Hot Jupiters" that orbit their parent star in a short period. If you put that into perspective, that is still amazing. Remember that the Hubble Space Telescope has been up in orbit for more than 20 years! And look how much data it has sent back to us. Then the subsequent use of Gravitational Lensing we were able to see even further. Kepler is only designated to function for 4 years. But I doubt that, it will be far longer. Now they are focusing more on that fixed field of view of space and are now discovering more planets that are a few diameters the size of Earth. Before you jump to conclusions read up a little on the background of this amazing new telescope:

Kepler Mission

This apparatus is designed to detect Earth-sized planets around stars. So now more data is coming in. This recent discovery only elucidates that there are stars out there that can harbor multiple planets just like our own Solar System.
In the grand scheme of things, we have gone to believing that the Earth is the center of the Universe, to discovering that there could be billions if not trillions of relatively Earth-sized objects if you consider the size of the field of view and depth of space being investigated. Ultimately, if we discover that a lot of these planetary orientations could not be conducive to life, then that should tell us that our Earth is very precious and that we should take of it, and expand to the other planets. It is still exciting news nonetheless even if we can't get there. Perhaps one of those rocky spheres is the home planet of the guys that left the stuff on the Moon and Mars.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'm surprised at anyone here who takes NASA serious about anything.
NASA is a front organization. Two Hubble scopes? One for us, one
for them? And whats the latest on the big S.P. observatory?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
nasa just waste money for useless projects
to glance at deepness of Universe, for what?????

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
"discovery of an intriguing planetary system," seems to be the most plausible, as it is the main mention in the article....
As most have already said its a vague yet intrigueing discovery that has possibilities of harboring life like our own planet that will fuel the fire of "disclosure is imminent" threads.
I am slightly excited but mostly cautious and at the same time dreading the speculation to come.

Painful is the life of a ATS reader....

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Yep, pretty much. They are spoon feeding us ultra slow to prepare the most stubborn people at a snails pace...

Yes, boring.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
many possible challenges from Universe is complete extinction of Life on the Globe & humans haven't adequate answers for it at current time
just proper work can give necessary techs to survive nice surprises of Mother - Universe

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join