It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Reveal "Big News" From Planet-Hunting Spacecraft Thursday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

NASA is expected to make an announcement Thursday on the progress of its Kepler spacecraft, which has been staring at one patch of space for evidence of other worlds.

The space agency has scheduled an afternoon teleconference with reporters to announce the results from Kepler, which include the "discovery of an intriguing planetary system," NASA officials said Monday.

Participating in the teleconference will be senior NASA scientists and Kepler mission researchers, including principal investigator William Borucki, at the space agency's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

[www.space.com...]Link to Article[/url]

Hmmmm, wonder what this could be?? I must admit I am excited about the possibilities. For those who do not know this is the mission of Kepler.

The Kepler space observatory hunts for Earth-like planets around other stars. In June, mission scientists announced it had found over 700 candidates, including five systems that appear to have more than one transiting planet.

Guess we will have to wait until the conference, but in the meantime LETS SPECULATE!!!

I will speculate that they will announce the most earthlike planet found yet, possibly with wast amounts of water, and maybe even in our galactic neighborhood!

-E-

[edit on 24-8-2010 by MysterE]

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Maybe they've found the first planet that we can colonize. Let's slap on the American flag and head straight for it! Then when we get there, just sort of pretend the natives don't exist.

Pretty cool, but I've got to stop getting my hopes up for NASA. Regardless, I'll be watching with great interest.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
NIBIRU
Cant wait to see Phage and the rests comments, what a discovery, we are all doomed, grab the nearest blond

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I'm really hoping I'm wrong here but if it was THAT big of news...wouldn't they put it out ASAP...not tease us like a new episode of the Jersey World or whatever the cool kids are watching these days?

Regardless, here's to hoping it's something worthwhile.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
This will be interesting indeed...something "intriguing" they say...well, I will speculate they've found a planet with a fair amount of water and it's at that magical distance from the Sun of the system...oh...and ALIENS!!!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
what if they hav found a solar system with like about 4 earth like planets that
all orbit the sun in sequence only say that because if it was that great of a discovery
it would be a secret

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Best case scenario: Many Earth like planets within a nearby system.

Worst case scenario: Yeah... we found more 'candidates'.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
They will say they have found a whole slew of candidate worlds much smaller than gas giants, more analogous to earth size, and that if you extrapolate the data it means that rocky worlds like ours outnumber gas giants by quite a bit.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Probably just another big telescope looking back at us, like in the old Bugs bunny cartoons?
Or failing that some nonsense about another Earthlike Planet thats actually a lot closer than anyone previously thought.
Or seeing as we're speculating the edge of the universe? , or perhaps the domecloth raised a little and and Alien peeked underneath? or a glitch in the holodeck showing the matrix as it truly is?.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I'm not holding my breath on this one. 'Big News' to NASA is practically no news to us here at ATS.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Interested seeing as astronomers at the ESO (European Southern Observatory) have just discovered a "rich exoplanet system" today.

Source; www.bbc.co.uk...

If the two announcements are not connected then it's a good week for exoplanet research, regardless of how dull NASA's news will be on thursday.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FermiFlux
Interested seeing as astronomers at the ESO (European Southern Observatory) have just discovered a "rich exoplanet system" today.

Source; www.bbc.co.uk...

If the two announcements are not connected then it's a good week for exoplanet research, regardless of how dull NASA's news will be on thursday.

Nice catch!
I expected something along that line. It really is good and interesting news, but I'm not surprised. I think that it's going to take some real, 'Earth shattering' news to make the world take pause and finally re-evaluate ourselves and our place in the Universe. IMO, locating other planets and stars is great for academia, but it will not be enough for regular Joe and Jane to take notice, because it will not directly affect them.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

no

phage was deleted from ATS database I think

but really ... NIBARU?? I am expecting something they didnt expect to see ... maybe an artificial system ... it would be great

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I am predicting that Never A Straight Answer will tell us that they have found more planets and that they need billions more of tax payers money in order to explore the possibilities of being able to sustain life on them $$$$$.

Whatever they know, they will certainly not be telling us anytime soon unless of course theirt hand is forced.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Nah he is still here keeping us right
I dont think the news will be earth shattering to be honest will be the usual rubbish about a plannet 100 Lightyears from Earth that could substain life

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
I am predicting that Never A Straight Answer will tell us that they have found more planets and that they need billions more of tax payers money in order to explore the possibilities of being able to sustain life on them $$$$$.

Whatever they know, they will certainly not be telling us anytime soon unless of course theirt hand is forced.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by franspeakfree]

That's one direction I wouldn't mind my money going.

Second line.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I think they're going to announce a large increase in the number of CONFIRMED discovered planets...

According to Kepler's website, there have been 700 planet CANDIDATES located, but only 5 have been confirmed as acutal planets.

I think they're going to increase the confirmed list.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

i feel the same way-like nasa(never a straight answere) is gonna share. not even an ice particle worth of news-plus they-tptb-underestamate us anyway...no one should show to the party on thrusday...that would say it all!!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Wonder if they have found a planet in the goldilocks zone.
Maybe a planet with water and an atmosphere.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Maybe they will tell us about an earth-like planet where we can get too in one lifetime....

I'm with the more $$$$ theory...especially since the "Back to the Moon" budget got axed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join