It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The PulseJet Exotic Propulsion Design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
PULSEJET EXOTIC PROPULSION DESIGN Pulsejets use the forward speed of the engine and the inlet shape to compress the incoming air, then shutters at the inlet close while fuel is ignited in the combustion chamber and the pressure of the expanding gasses force the jet forward. The shutters then open and the process starts again at a high frequency. This results in the buzzing drone for which the experimental pulsejet missile is named the "BuzzBomb". People have pointed out that pulsejets can be cooled which would solve the heating problem of the ramjets. They could also, theoretically, generate "donut-on-a-rope" contrails due to the engine's operational design. The known advantages of the Pulsejet engine are: Theoretically it has a higher fuel efficency than a normal engine that keeps constant pressure. Engines can be produced in many sizes with many different thrust ouputs ranging from a few pounds to thousands of pounds. They have a very high thrust-to-weight ratio, which means a lighter engine producing more pounds of thrust than it's weight. They are mechanically very simple and have very little moving parts. They do not depend on the oxygen in the atmosphere to provide as an oxidizer, which means it could go in or out of the atmosphere

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
yea daddio i put this in the aurora research project pretty good too i liked it.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
You only made three errors
1. they do rely on the atmosphere for the oxidizer for the fuel
2. They Cannot go supersonic (hty only work in thw subsonic range
3. Theyr have a negitive stelth Qualities (they are noisey And they run hot white hot) I own two ove the things one was run on a tethered miniture aircraft. and the other powered a thethered miniture car,

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
also, pulsejets aren't exactly "advanced" or "new" the V-1 buzz bombs used by Nazi Germany were Pulse Jet powered

and as previously stated, it is a true jet, an evolution of the classic turbo-jet design, and as such requires atmospheric oxygen

it's a turbo-jet evolution that went nowhere

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I once saw a concord jet winged shaped aircraft flying at about 30,000 feet with a "dash-dash-dash" contrail. I imagine it was indicative of pulse propulsion. Anyone else ever see such a jet that left a broken line contrail?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Pulse detonation engines are more interesting, and there is more research going on in these engines. Supersonic operation is absolutely possible as it's not relying on a flame front but a non-oichiometric detonation that both provides thrust and compresses the incoming air/fuel in the case of a valveless version.

I think a rotary valved version would be pretty easy.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OldSquid

One other error: "They have a very high thrust-to-weight ratio." Ain't so! The best are about 5:1 while current turbo-jets can exceed 8:1; fan-jets can exceed 12:1 in larger sizes.
Dynajetjerry

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
One very big con to the pulse jet design.

It will shake your brains out! - not a bad option for unmanned maybe so long as the vehicle is well bolted together. But not a good idea for manned at all.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Hey

Such engines can be used in manned craft as well, since the operating frequency of those engines is very high and you can also put engines on some shock absorbers if you like.

Even betterengine is pulse detonation engine, in which the fuel doesn't burn, but it detonates, and that results in higher effiecency. All those engines do rely on oxygen from atmosphere, but oxygen can also be in the craft for higher atmosphere and space flight. If you take scramjet inlets for air compression, you can fly as much as 60km high relying only on atmospheric oxygen. Let me explain. Scramjets can fly at defined speed on given altitude, due to engine intakes. If you take speeds and altitudes of NASA's hyperX in equation and the highest theoretical scramjet speedof M18, the highest theoretical altitude is 60km.

Pulse detonation engines are promising, but the technology still has to be tried and perfected. They could be used for single stage reusable orbital vehickes (carrying additional oxygen of course).

Oh, I'm not sure about donuts on a rope contrail. Could such engine really produce them, or is the frequency of exploisons too high to see those donuts???

greets

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Here is an example of these engines in action...

Personal Disclosure: OL needed to embed this on ATS so a fellow member can view it easy.

P.S. Its been a pleasure to necro this ancient thread! Some things 1] last for ever and 2] will come back to haunt us all!

top topics

join