It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The strange case of solar flares and radioactive elements

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
So it seems that every day something we thought to be fundamental basics of our understanding of the cosmos, is found to be false. This time it is the decay of radioactive elements that has been found to be affected by the sun. Scientists assume the neutrino radiation produced by the sun affects the rate of radioactive decay.

This could bring new problems to random number generation, and measuring of time.

When researchers found an unusual linkage between solar flares and the inner life of radioactive elements on Earth, it touched off a scientific detective investigation that could end up protecting the lives of space-walking astronauts and maybe rewriting some of the assumptions of physics.

Link to article

[edit on 8/24/2010 by above]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Very,very interestiing. S&F! Our understanding of the Cosmos presently is ridiculously miniscule. It's almost as if the Sun is a sentient being, isn't it? AND if the Sun is a sentient being would not all celestrial bodies be sentient as well? And if they are sentient, is not EVERYTHING sentient?Namaste.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
How have you come to the conclusion that the sun is sentient? I'm struggling to see how you've made that link based on the information present in the article.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Klaatumagnum

That's quite a series of logical leaps you've made there.

The discovery itself is pretty amazing - somehow the core of the sun is affecting radioactive decay rates on earth (and presumably everywhere else in the solar system) with a 'spooky action' type speed that pre-empts solar flares by a measurable period of time.

It's actually almost unbelievable - I have no idea what the mechanism could be, apart from some very vague notions of quantum entanglement playing a part. Who knows? I look forward to the physicists figuring it out.

Brilliant find, well done the Human Race. OT is S&F.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by above

Great find. I guess people who rely on Carbon and Uranium dating methods need to reconsider the methodology.

top topics

join