It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong warns against Philippines travel after deaths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Hong Kong warns against Philippines travel after deaths

www.bbc.co.uk

Hong Kong has expressed angry shock at the Philippines after the deaths of eight of its tourists in a bus hijack, cancelling all travel to the country.

The Chinese government has also demanded a thorough investigation of how the tragedy was handled.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thestandard.com.hk

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
These deaths are a tradegy. I dont know what procedures the police actually used, other than trying to board the bus, had to retreat, boarded a 2nd time, and finally took the rouge police officer down.

On the travel alert - I dont know too much about how dangerous the Phillipines are, but I wouldnt think it would be as bad as to cancel all travel there.

What raised my attention on this, is my friend that lives in the Phillipines says that Hong Kong has pretty much declared a war on the Phillipines. That is only 1 person telling me that, so if there's anyone from the Phillipines on here, please let me know what the situation is like there. This raises questions to me, like, what will happen to the Filipinos that are in Hong Kong? From what my friend is saying, it looks like it could get bad. People in Hong Kong will possibly be targeting Filipinos, atleast from what my friend has told me.

Again, the "war" thing is only from 1 friend in the Phillipines, so thats really all I have. If anyone on here from the Phillipines can give a good update, please let us know.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I saw this on the news, tragic. Sadly I feel we’re gonna see a lot more of this, people losing it big time and taking events too far. Already there’s a huge increase in suicides where I live, honestly and some are guys, married with kids. The world is on a knife edge because the people can’t take anymore.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I just got back from the Phillipines after six weeks there and i dont really understand why the travel warning.Most people know that the island of Mindanao can be dangerous due to rebel activity but most of the Phillipines that i have traveled in is safe as long as you follow basic travelling etiquette.
There are bad people everywhere in the world but most Filipinos are generous ,friendly helpful people and i wouldnt hesitate going there.Just use common sense when travelling to any country.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Hi Philippines here. I don't think there is any sort of war going on but more of a public shaming from Hong Kong which is an understandable reaction.

The way this was handled by "SWAT" is being criticized and i am amazed that all passengers where not lost. The whole debacle was televised live here in the Philippines with no commercial breaks and even covered in the UK.
The hostage taker had access to TV inside the bus which gave him a clear view of police activities and became outraged when he found out his brother who was trying to talk sense into him had been detained by police. So he killed two with his M16 and latter a total of 9 when the police tried to gas him out but had trouble breaking the window(fail)

This will definitely be a war of words and a major blow to tourism. In the Philippines foreigners are being targeted and its a wild west here but i don't think it is as bad as Mexico now.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
There are human on human inflicted deaths and unnfortunate accidents in my country (England) and the US, and pretty much everywhere else every day. The only time travel between England and the US was halted was during the aftermath of 9/11, very, very bad times.

I feel China has overreacted here, perhaps a political difference with the phillippines is clouding their judgement.

I bet you this was a suicide by cop gone wrong, there's a HUGE leap in violent murder-suicides in England, with 2 in the last 6 months or so, and a majorly reported one last year.

Is this what human life has come down to? People killing people because they don't have enough money or are losing inanimate objects? Often these cases involve a regular, calm individual who has just 'snapped', and at the time nobody believes they will actualy carry their threats out.

China needs to take a step back, yes this is very bad, people died and it needs to be treated as a major incedent and a threat to their nationals in the country, BUT putting a black mark against a country because of the idiotic actions of one citizen is taking things a bit too far. I'd be happy traveling to the Phillippines, even though this has happened. Bad things happen in all countries.

It's like in Mexico, only a small part of an otherwise beautiful country is blighted by drug wars, but outsiders paint a bad picture of Mexico, and Mexican people. Lets not do this to the Phillippines too.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by The Chez]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Yes i would have to agree with that. Carry yourself as a guest and not as a rock star flashing bling and talking advantage of locals. A kind smile and a few words in that countries language go a long way.

By the way your avatar pic looks like Bantayan Island Cebu

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
i didn't watch in real time, just news clips.

this was a disaster, the phillipino security team screwed up big time.

the hostage taker was one of the cops in the torture scandal.

he wanted his job back!

(in another thread here.)

they should have taken him out asap.

i will find out more later since my cantonese is not up to par.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
I just got back from the Phillipines after six weeks there and i dont really understand why the travel warning.Most people know that the island of Mindanao can be dangerous due to rebel activity but most of the Phillipines that i have traveled in is safe as long as you follow basic travelling etiquette.
There are bad people everywhere in the world but most Filipinos are generous ,friendly helpful people and i wouldnt hesitate going there.Just use common sense when travelling to any country.

Thanks for pointing that out, as I put in my first post on this, only small parts of most countries blacklisted are actualy problem areas. In England we have what locals call 'sink estates', large sprawls of government housing towerblock flats, often populated by knife & gun weilding gangs etc, I would like to know if these areas are mentioned in travel guides for my country lol.

My cousin's partner is a Phillipineo, he's lovely,

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by The Chez

hong kong spends alot of money there, so do the chinese.

it could affect their tour industry for a while.

i feel so bad for the victims.

this has happened before, with loss of life. but this time they had clear shots at this guy early on.

it was ghost festival yesterday too.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I watched it and was simply horrified, that the police was not able to open the bus main door for more than 15 minutes, even though they tried very hard. In the end it was a sniper bullet in the head of the hijacker....

Bad planning before storming the bus

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

ya never know.

this isn't the US. i don't believe that there will be war, tho.

i have to check if this perp was in on the toture thread,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

he was a cop that wanted his job back. i saw a headline in a phillipino paper.

the swat screwed up.

as to the maids and other workers here. it should be ok with the peoples.

the government might give them a hard time tho.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
After reading the BBC report again ,i am disappointed in this comment from the story

In Hong Kong, a "black" travel warning has been raised, which urges all travel to the Philippines to be cancelled and calls on Hong Kong people in the Philippines to leave as soon as possible.

This is really an over the top reaction to a one off event,If countries advised people to " leave as soon as possible" over an isolated incident ,there would be no one going anywhere .How many Chinese child stabbings have there been this year? Look it up.Mass murders in the States ,Mexico,India, Egypt.Etc etc etc.
And to The Great Day the AV is from FNQ Australia.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
This is tragic but totally silly of Hong kong.

It could have been anyone on that bus!! This was not a story about a war or the abu sayef, this was a story about a maniac cop who flipped and lost it.

The Philippines has its problems, being a third world country is not fun for many, but for the most part the Filipino people are the kindest most giving people I have ever met... They do tend to gossip a lot mind
)

Manila is both beautiful and rough at the same time, if you go to the Philippines try and get out of the city and into the very pretty country side.

Go visit the chocolate hills, or the 8th wonder of the world that is the Banaue Rice Terraces, or just visit the provinces, the people will invite you in and feed you!!

Don't let a single stupid mad man deter you from visiting such an amazing beautiful country!!

Peace Out,

Korg.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

last time the black travel alert was issued was for bangkok.

this is what they do. they went and evacuated everyone there.

for the child stabbings, it was domestic, chinese on chinese.
horrible stuff.

hk is pissed and wants answers, so does china.

like i said this is not the US. no pc here.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

In Hong Kong, a "black" travel warning has been raised, which urges all travel to the Philippines to be cancelled and calls on Hong Kong people in the Philippines to leave as soon as possible.

Nothing here about evacuations, nothing here about the government forbidding travel.

This is a travel warning - and until it can be proven that the bus was not targeted because they were Chinese tourists, it is completely warranted. Any responsible government would do the same.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
As someone who live in HK a few months out of a year and carry dual-citizenship with Macau and US, I certainly understand what has transpired over the recent days.

The people of Hong Kong love to travel. This is because of a mix of long holidays, stressful society, high population, and very inexpensive tours. Hong Thai, one of the largest companies that run tours, is a well respected tour group in Hong Kong and is my tour group of choice. This past year, I booked a tour with Hong Thai for South Korea for a week and it only cost me $600 USD, all inclusive.

For those who only have read the stories of what happened and did not see what transpired, have a look at this video by RT and see how pathetically trained their SWAT is. They spent many minutes breaking the glass from multiple sides only to find that there was an emergency exit. Watch many SWAT training videos out there and you will see that many SWAT teams enter from both sides. They are extremely poorly equipped, but not even at that, they are extremely mentally not fit for hostage situations by the looks of them being scared. Heck, just look at them throwing the glow sticks, took them 3 tries to throw it in. Also, watch as they can't even handle a sledgehammer and end up losing it inside the bus only to try to retreive it.

If you watch this video, you will definitely understand why Hongers are extremely pissed off at the handling of this situation.

www.youtube.com...#!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

This is a travel warning - and until it can be proven that the bus was not targeted because they were Chinese tourists, it is completely warranted. Any responsible government would do the same.

Do you know there is very very large Chinese community in the Philippines... this mad cop was exactly that insane!! He didn't pre plan an attack on the Chinese, he just wanted his old job back, which he had been suspended from for being a mad man....

This is an overreaction on the part of the Hong Kong government.

Plain and simple.

Korg.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

yes, just a travel warning. till the end of the month.

they had to evac from bangkok coz the airport was shut down.

they left from a military base, i think.

personally, i think he did target that bus.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Hong Kong protests ph.news.yahoo.com...

diplomatic talks to take place ph.news.yahoo.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join