It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunk evolution once and for all

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by oozyism

Why are evolution and God incompatible?

It is not, but we should see it as it is, not how we want to see it.

Quoted because this statement is hilarious coming from someone who puts faith over facts

Please continue...I like to laugh

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I am a catholic and evolution isnt part of the religion. Mostly its crazy christians who for some reason latch onto science like its a religion. Their two separate things and one has nothing to do with the other. I am also a scientist and catholics invented the punnet square to study trait inheritance via a monk named Gregor Mendel. Religion and science are 2 different things and should not be confused. Then again there are alot of pseudo religons like evangelicals who are more like illegitimate believers in god.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by spy66

And if God chose to jump start a dead planet after the Toba catastrophe, where is the contradiction?

To say something like this is useless. Because God has not done it.

God created heaven and earth. "Gods spirit moved upon the face of the waters". That is the only physical thing God did. After that everything expanded according to Gods plan.

The Toba incident is a part of the expansion of energy and matter and evolution.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I like laughing too

me no me assume you atheist?

Atheists will never look at the definition of evidence, do you know why?

Because it has belief somewhere in there lol..

I don't have faith, I have a belief.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Neil DeGrasse Tyson said it better than I ever could...everyone should watch those videos!

God of the gaps:

Stupid design...why "intelligent" design doesn't exist:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I think you should look up the definition of "evidence" and "proof" before making such statements

I mean, you believe in the talking snake...right?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by oozyism

I think you should look up the definition of "evidence" and "proof" before making such statements

You are already back tracking lol

Usual Atheist characteristics, I can read you like a book

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I don't have faith, I have a belief.

And a belief can be based on a few things, two of those things are:

Faith and Evidence.

A belief held on Faith is one that is held in absence of evidence or in the presence of evidence to the contrary. For instance Geocentrism, the idea that the Sun and planets revolve around the Earth, is a BELIEF held by FAITH. Creationism is another belief held on Faith.

A belief based on evidence is a well-informed one supported by facts or logical proofs of a sound nature. An example would be a belief in Gravity, Atoms, or Evolution. We have evidence for all of these that allows the belief to be held without relying on Faith.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

non the less I stand corrected, you can take anything as evidence to prove anything based on your belief.

I take an atom as evidence of creation.

You take an atom as evidence of nothing.

See the difference between my belief and yours?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by oozyism

You are already back tracking lol

Usual Atheist characteristics, I can read you like a book

How am I backtracking? In what sense?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I take an atom as evidence of creation.

You take an atom as evidence of nothing.

See the difference between my belief and yours?

Yes, yours is an example of very poor reasoning.

I don't take atoms as proof of "nothing", I take them as proof of atoms. In fact I don't think the Universe came from Nothing, I have no idea where the Universe came from and neither do you. That's why you have inserted this creator. As XYZ has tried to show you this is a God of the Gaps argument, you are inserting your supernatural explanation simply because we don't have a natural explanation for how the Universe came into existence. I for one am happy being honest and admitting that I don't know. I have no need of inventing imaginary supernatural explanations for things I don't understand. I was under the impression we human beings were beginning to move past that after we stopped assuming lightning was caused by Zeus and disease by demons.

As for Evolution it has a great deal of evidence, easily as much as atoms do, backing it up. If you want to let Evolution into that list of your "evidence" of a creator go ahead... as long as you stop pretending you can "debunk evolution once and for all".

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Humans have it in their design to pursue GOD, there is a whole big, big scientific book written about the subject ..

That being said, whether evolution is true or not doesn't really matter at the moment because it doesn't effect you nor me, prove me wrong. When are you gonna try speciation for yourself>??

And no I don't believe in GOD because of the GAP argument, or because of ignorance, rather because I know enough, I'm aware of my surroundings and take it as evidence of a creator.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Humans have it in their design to pursue GOD, there is a whole big, big scientific book written about the subject ..

Are you sure about that. Isn't it because some book from more than 2000 years ago says so and is force fed to children against their will?

Weren't you going to debunk evolution? Please show me where the science is wrong and explain in detail why you think it doesn't add up.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by Barcs]

[edit on 30-8-2010 by Barcs]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

And to summarize what I think about those claimed miracles

Also, saying evolution doesn't affect you is hilarious given that we use the findings in modern medicine and gene technology. It's not really something u can "evade" by saying it doesn't affect you. Evolution happens all the time! Our sense of smell and hearing is getting worse every generation. Our physical features change too...and we've witnessed it in the lab and in nature.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e1e2710c4d6d.jpg[/atsimg]

Don't be a monkey...no pun intended

[edit on 30-8-2010 by MrXYZ]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I have a comment to your two videos. Have you noticed from which point of observation these scientists began?

Their point of observation does explain why progress leaps forward and ends with God when they reach their limit of knowledge.

I wonder what all of these people would have said if they started thinking about the beginning of existence, rather from present time. Because at one point in time that is where knowledge will meat God.

We cant measure time from present time and all the way back to the beginning. One can only measure time from the beginning and to the present time.

What i am saying is: Scientists will never discover God. Because they are at the wrong end of observation.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

prove me wrong

Planning on having children? Than Evolution does affect you.

Have any notable features that you inherited from your parents? Than Evolution does affect you.

Evolution can have effects on an individual making them more or less likely to survive and pass on their genes.

It is sad that you started out with the purpose of debunking Evolution and your last ditch argument amounts to:

So what if it is true, it still doesn't effect me!

I'm aware of my surroundings and take it as evidence of a creator.

That's even worse reasoning than a God of the gaps argument.

Yeah, I take my surroundings as evidence that Luke Skywalker, who as it turns out is a green space penguin, is real... What? You doubt his existence?! Everything around us is evidence of him

One does not need a God to see beauty and majesty in nature and in fact not believing in one probably helps when it comes to studying nature as it makes one less likely to jump to supernatural godly conclusions and more likely to hunt down real explanations and evidence.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Given our somewhat limited understanding of time, you can't just say "science and god will meet". You BELIEVE that's gonna happen...but we just don't know.

Essentially, you're doing the same thing as the people who claimed Zeus is responsible for lightning...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fb43c0fac5dd.jpg[/atsimg]

...and sometimes the reality is that we JUST DON'T KNOW! I'm sorry if that makes some people uncomfortable, but that's just how it is.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs
Weren't you going to debunk evolution? Please show me where the science is wrong and explain in detail why you think it doesn't add up.

I simply made a comparison, read through the thread..

I said if thousands of different robots were created at once and left in a planet and then thousand of years later these robots reproduce and increase in numbers, if the robots are left ignorant of the creators then they will come to the same Darwinian evolution conclusion as us, because they will examine the fossil records and see robot A at time line 1 and see robot B at time line 2, both robots resemble therefore make the assumption that robot A evolved to robot B. Just because robot B fossil wasn't found at time line 1 doesn't make it so. That is an assumption we have to make in order for evolution to be true, that being said, we have to make thousands of assumptions in regards to each specie.

Now in regards to us somehow already observing evolution.. eeek.. Sorry, just don't believe it, until it comes and affects me like electricity which gives me light, I will stay absent from believing it, got nothing to loose nor gain.

Get what I mean?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tigpoppa
I am a catholic and evolution isnt part of the religion. Mostly its crazy christians who for some reason latch onto science like its a religion. Their two separate things and one has nothing to do with the other. I am also a scientist and catholics invented the punnet square to study trait inheritance via a monk named Gregor Mendel. Religion and science are 2 different things and should not be confused. Then again there are alot of pseudo religons like evangelicals who are more like illegitimate believers in god.

As a scientist, I think your post is a cop-out. Christianity as we know it in most of its forms, does include assertion of some facts. After all, that's why there is a debate about the Shroud or Turin etc. If you take Bible literally, then you would indeed need to assume that evolution didn't take place at all. You can't just shrug it off. If you suggest that we take the Bible metaphorically, that's different and I would support that. But to just ignore the schism between traditional Christianity and science (in its real sense) and say "well it's different" is a cop-out indeed.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

So anything that doesn't affect you is automatically not real? Jupiter is larger than the earth, it doesn't affect you...but it doesn't mean that statement is wrong.

Have you ever been vaccinated? If so...evolution does affect you if you want to or not. Do you look a bit like your mom or dad? Welcome to evolution, we're glad to have you on board

Don't walk through this world with a tunnel vision...open your eyes and look around you. Enjoy reality, it's awesome and impressive...at least most of the time!

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join