It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Government to lackey ISPs into spying on citizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Australian Government to lackey ISPs into spying on citizens

www.smh.com.au

The federal government has censored approximately 90 per cent of a secret document outlining its controversial plans to snoop on Australians' web surfing, obtained under freedom of information (FoI) laws, out of fear the document could cause "premature unnecessary debate".

The government has been consulting with the internet industry over the proposal, which would require ISPs to store certain internet activities of all Australians - regardless of whether they have been suspected of wrongdoing - for law-enforcement agencies to access.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.zdnet.com.au
www.zdnet.com.au
www.zdnet.com.au

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Continuing on from my first post, and outlining some things that came to light while writing it, I have decided to shed some light on the "data retention" scheme currently doing the rounds in Australian politics.

The news source may be a month old, and in light of the election it might soon become redundant, but it's still necessary to let people know what's going on in Australia as this may have a pronounced effect on the rest of the world.

Even more far-fetched than Senator Stephen Conroy's ridiculous mandatory internet filter, the data retention regime aims to spy on everyone, not just those accused of wrongdoings on the internet.

So what does this mean for the average Australian citizen? I, for one, am worried. I aim to become a regular poster on AboveTopSecret, and to have the government watching what I'm writing, especially in articles such as these, is a huge concern. This is the first step towards our Government declaring war on free speech, and is similar to what is going on in the UK and the US and some EU countries as we speak. Censorship is a major issue now that the internet has come around full force and has become a major socio-political tool that is accessible by anyone, anywhere, anytime.

This is just adding fuel to the fire, and soon I think Australians will have to stand up against this impending tyranny, though the hows and whens are not so certain.

-SZ-

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It sounds like you Aussies are the "test bed" for sociatal control. After it works on you guys, it is headed down the pipe to everyone else in the west. What's going on down under?

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

It sounds like you Aussies are the "test bed" for sociatal control.
No way man, our internet is currently quite open and unrestricted. This is what concerns me about this, as well as the concerned expressed by the OP. The UK is the "test bed" if it's anyone.

[edit on 24/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Yeah, I kind of agree with you, however the Brits seemed to not have much to begin with. First, they came for your weapons, then I remember reasing about something where they tried to restrict your interent (though I believe it failed) and now this. The Brits never really had weapons, nor privacy for a long time.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
It's hard not to buy in to conspiracy theories anymore when stripping away freedoms appear to be a joint effort by the world's governments these days.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Based on the Bush Administrations retroactive immunization to telecommunications regarding the AT&T scandal, I would say that this is already in place.

What we are seeing now is the public expression and cultivation in order to make posts admissible in court.

Remember...the military and some scholarly institutions have had this tech since the 60's...we're just catching up and we still have a long way to go since there is a disconnect between the people implementing this tech and the people effected...

There is a long way to go...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Our internet may be unrestricted for now, but with Labor in power it's not going to get any better. And as much as I am a Liberal voter in this year's election, Tony Abbott, as a religious nutjob, will not do anything to make this situation go away.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The US, EU ,Australia and Brittan sign a internet treaty next month . I think there is a link to the story on Rense . This is just a month away and doesn't sound good also includes copyright laws .

new topics

join